Ow is a competitive first person shooter

idk about that, there are many here who hate it but are still here

You shoot beams and you shoot projectiles. All the characters have some form of that in their kit. It’s also an objective based team game. STOP TRYING TO PLAY COUNTER STRIKE WHILE HAVING OVERWATCH LOADED UP. Learn the difference in how to play Overwatch competitively and how to play a basic shooter competitively.

7 Likes

but man then is a moba with some things of shotter. no one is asking for a shotter… but ow should be a shotter with moba and a high skill competitive game.

not a pick a full low effort comp and win.

Literally all the hard meta characters we have right now were in game at launch. Who exactly has you mad? Rein? Zarya? Ana that was added just 2 months after game launched? Lucio that was here since launch? McCree and Mei that have been in game since launch with their base kits basically unchanged? If Overwatch is a moba to you because these characters are meta then it was always a moba.

4 Likes

…do you know what a moba is?

3 Likes

It depends on the person’s tolerance and expectation for change, I suppose. I whined about queue times daily until I gave up and quit. Open queue brought me back and it was all I ever needed to truly enjoy the game again.

If your tanks don’t pick Rein Zarya while the enemy does have them you’re kinda screwed. Even more screwed if you don’t have Ana as they’ve been the hard meta on ladder for the post-double shield.

1 Like

It’s not a MOBA why do people say this all the time lmao

Here’s the features of a MOBA:

• minions/ farming phase
  • elites that spawn
  • lanes (jungle/top/etc)
  • item shop you buy buffs with in-match currency
  • defense towers
  • enemy base/camp/crystal you need to destroy to win
  • usually LARGE cast like 100+ characters (HotS is the only modern example I know of that subverts this)
  • longer matches like 20 to 30 minutes
  • top-down birds eye 3rd person view (Smite is the only modern example I know of that subverts this)

Overwatch is not MOBA or MOBA-esque simply because it has skills, or shields/stuns. If it is, then World of Warcraft is MOBAesque, Final Fantasy is MOBAesque, etc

Overwatch is a Hero Shooter, why do so many people refuse to acknowledge that as a subgenre, it’s crazy

11 Likes

Hahaha highly competitive shooter? What an ego stroke

7 Likes

Orisa/Hog, Winston/D.Va, and Ball/anything can be just as effective if the people playing them know what they’re doing. I’ve played plenty of games without the “perfect” compositions and meta heroes and still won because experience and personal skill will always outweigh the most ideal strategy for like 90% of the playerbase.

5 Likes

Please somebody blow this up, put it in bold and stamp it on the forums and battle net. To this day I am still looking for that add that fooled these people into thinking it would be anything else.

5 Likes

I find “Hero-based Teamshooter” more accurately or old school “Team Fortress”. Ultimate is just a new thing to the shooter.

1 Like

In Plat and below sure. Anywhere higher and you’re at a disadvantage unless hero bans are in your favor.

I’m in Diamond on two roles and Masters in one. Works fine for me. :shrug: ymmv

I dont understand why people try to nitpick the genre name so much. First Person Shooter encompasses pretty much any game that is played in first person and contains some semblance of aiming at enemies to hit them. It doesnt have to be CoD/CS with rifles and pistols.

Heroes like rein, brig, and winston still need to aim at the enemies, even though it’s very forgiving aim.

People also need to go learn what a MOBA is.

8 Likes

Because calling Smash a fighting game is incredibly reductive to how it actually feels to play.

To me, Hero Shooter is just a marketing name, it’s a Class Based FPS through and through, the DNA for evrything in this game can be found in TF2.

Calling Overwatch just a Shooter implies its similar to Call of Duty and Counterstrike, which it definitely isn’t.

1 Like

Yeah, making a party shooter into a competitive game was a mistake. Esports ruined this game

6 Likes

A lot of people have been, or have you not noticed the queue times?

1 Like

TIL Quake, Unreal Tournament and Team Fortress aren’t shooters lol.

CoD kiddies have a very narrow definition of ‘shooter’ :rofl:

7 Likes

Hot take: Thermite and Thatcher are crutches. If you can’t Mav trick your way to victory you deserve to be screwed.