OW failed as a concept?

Literally this.

Tank synergy too strong: Addressed by reducing tank down to 1 per team.
No scoreboard: Addressed… by having a scoreboard.
Individual performance means nothing: Less players on the team creates way more room for individual playmaking and solo carry potential.
Ranked system sucks: They’re reworking how ranked works.
Tanks don’t feel tanky: They all got HP buffs and got pretty nice buffs moving to 5v5 and all feel pretty tanky now.
Too much CC: Removed all stuns from non-tank heroes apart from Ana’s sleep dart and Mei’s Blizzard and reworked Sombra to reduce the uptime of the silence on Hack.
2CP sucks: Removing it and reworking the maps for a new game mode.

OW2 is loads of fun and this is just the first beta, I’m very excited for the future of the game.

1 Like

OW failed as a concept?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-07-21-overwatch-tops-us-sales-during-june-slump
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/console/-i-inside-i-i-overwatch-i-i-firewatch-i-lead-gdc-2017-choice-awards-nominees-

nope, you have a completely wrong idea about the whole situation

Not if it fails but when it fails. I love 5v5 I like the new maps, I like sojourn but eventually. Probably sooner than later.
They will break our spirits with balance. They’ve already kept to their hitscan bias. All other dps are just niche picks to annoy your teammates.
Hit scan and fast dynamic heros are the only way to play

We don’t judge the success of something based on one time period alone. There are a number of metrics on which success is based, and time lines are a part of the evaluation. Critical acclaim and popularity years ago mean (much) less than its current state. No one is giving OW critical acclaim now and it’s pretty unpopular in 2022.

1 Like

you can’t move to a more fps style without hitscan heroes being strong. that is what fps players want after all.

I get extremely frustrated when players don’t actually play a role required. As a healer main it is exhausting when a majority of players do the same motion over and over expecting different results. Yes OW1 got great reviews, just a game with selfish players and the card system along with POTG rewarded some dumb plays. This contributed to bad decision making along with overextending.

1 Like

What bs ……………………………………

2 Likes

OW1 was a massive deal, it died because of a lack of content which was partly because they did not monetize the game very well. 6v6 is the sweet spot for teamplay, but even if 5v5 is a downgrade, having regular content added to the game can carry your games success.

1 Like

OW failed only because they forced it into an esport within months of the game being officially released.

Blizzard would have had a MUCH better game if they focused on making a good game and sticking to balance and new content. They could have let the esport slowly come into play over time.

Some big wigs in Blizzard and higher up in Activision saw something they could use as a fast cash crab. Why do you think Blizzard charges $20 million just to buy in and make your own OWL team? No other esport does this with a brand new never tested game in this market.

Personally, I think most of the OWL team owners should look into filing a class action suit against Activision-Blizzard. I bet there is some clause in a contract though that prevents them from doing so.

1 Like

They wanted to be Team Fortress 2

Now TF2 isn’t as huge as some of these newer games, now they want to be these games

1 Like

Role que was the making of the coffin and 5v5 is lowering it into the ground. Had they not bin lazy with new char creation and dealing with shield chars as a whole we wouldnt be where were at we would of had no reason for role que.

If chars were properly made role que wouldnt have bin needed and que times would have been normalized . If they didnt just throw out poor thought up content just for the sake of doin it we wouldnt be in this situation.

1 Like

Every one of these threads I ask the exact same question and nobody seems to have an answer: what MOBA elements does OW have? It doesn’t have creep, buying, laning, or leveling. The closest thing we can say to it having a MOBA element is it has characters who play distinctly but that is not a MOBA element and has been in games for decades.

1 Like

I kinda look at this like a spectrum of FPS mechanics to MOBA mechanics ratio:

• CounterStrike
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Call of Duty
  • Valorant
  • Apex Legends
  • Rainbow 6 Siege
  • TitanFall 2
  • Halo Infinite
  • Splitgate
  • Dirty Bomb
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Starsiege: TRIBES
  • Overwatch 2
  • Overwatch 2017
  • Paladins
  • PlanetSide 2
  • Overwatch 2022
  • Bleeding Edge
  • Battle Born
  • HyperUniverse
  • Awesomenauts
  • League of Legends
  • DotA2
  • World of Warcraft PVP

And the primary customers that Overwatch 2 PVP is going after are these players

• Valorant
  • Apex Legends
  • Rainbow 6 Siege
  • TitanFall 2
  • Halo Infinite
  • Splitgate
  • Dirty Bomb
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Starsiege: TRIBES
  • Overwatch 2017
  • Paladins
  • PlanetSide 2
  • Overwatch 2022
  • Bleeding Edge
1 Like

You could argue that abilities per character are more commonly found on mobas rather than other genres

The game’s design is not really changing all that much. It’s true that the self-imagined “carry” potential is higher, but having been in beta let me tell you a lot of people are going to be doing just about the same, having imagined their teammates were the issue when it was just them. The game will favor the typical vaping twitch zombies to a point, perhaps low Diamond or so. After that, it’s back to strategy and tactics at the higher tiers.

The Devs failed because rather than deal with questions of hypermobility they just resorted to kits that created problems. They were strangely surprised when many of the issues resurfaced in OW 2 beta from less CC and one tank and Supports were really suffering. The devs really make you wonder… that being said OW 2 does flow better; but if you think you were unshackled, just think about how the other guy feels now and Supports who have basically said to hell with healing and are now acting like DPS. That is OW 2.

I mean, I said as much to mostly skip Support reworks except for Brig, the same week that the OWL PVP Beta was announced.

Cuts the workload down by like half.

And the primary purpose of this beta was to have a version of code for OWL teams to scrim on, then play on, by like early April 2022. When they started working on it in September 2021.

[OW2] Balance Design Blueprint

Throw in some holidays and Kotick nonsense during that time. And they did an admirable job fixing Tanks and DPS in that time. And Support wasn’t “horrible” just kinda meh and less fun.

MOBA is a fusion of games, just like Overwatch is. There are different MOBA’s the genre itself came from a starcraft map, so you can’t just lock down the definition. MOBA stands for multiplayer online battle arena. Overwatch maps are basically battle arena’s, where we have 3 lanes on our maps, just like League does. In MOBA’s two teams fight down three lanes to destroy or capture some objective. In MOBA’s players control heroes or champions with unique set of abilities and playstyle. When a hero dies they respawn to fight again, but there is an experience cost, with OW you can compare this to ults. In MOBA’s heroes typically fall into the roles of tank, damage dealer, support. MOBA’s generally have large rosters of heroes with different abilities that adds to the complexity of the game. MOBA’s usually have an action economy to fights, this comes from their rts background, one character does one thing, the other counters with another thing, think of it like Genji activates blade, enemy Zen activates transcendence.

Not all MOBA’s are the same, like there are MOBA’s that are 2d side scrollers, MOBA’s where you do not respawn when you die, MOBA’s without creep, it is not a one size fits all. When people are talking about Overwatch and MOBA’s they are talking about Overwatch having elements of MOBA’s. It is very basic, dont overthink it.

Yeah… no. It will still look nothing like either of those games.

You are zooming out so far that every game ever can be said to be a MOBA thus making the term devoid of all meaning.

Maps with objectives pretty much describes most online games and those existed before and after the MOBA genre. Having an objective more complicated than “kill everyone” is not some MOBA element.

The ult thing makes no sense. You lose nothing when you die beyond respawn time (you do not lose ult charge) so if anything there is less a cost of death in OW than most other games (in many FPS games with respawn I at least lose my current weapons though again that is not universal and games have done it multiple ways for decades). Respawning has also been around basically since the first shooter came out so it is far more unique to the FPS genre.

While you mentioned classes and abilities I would direct you over to the WoW forums (or Everquest if you want to fight about what big game did it first) and point out that classes and roles are an RPG staple and not really a MOBA staple. They can exist in MOBA’s but they can exist in every game and they specifically referred to as “RPG elements”.

Genres are not some broad that you can go “well this one game in this genre did it therefore we can call it a part of the genre”. For example “Soulslike” (I hate that term) games are characterized by: high difficulty, story/world that unfolds as you go, checkpoints that allow you to regain some power, and a non permanent penalty for death. You can be 2d or 3d, you can have whatever art style you want, you can have your story be whatever you want, but those are the elements that make it a “Soulslike”. Similarly I could describe similar elements that allow the Metroidvania genre to exist. For the MOBA the elements are: single champion that you level who gains new abilities and powers as you go that you play in combination with others.

If you want to know an FPS game with MOBA elements that came out at the same time as Overwatch that would be Battleborn which checks all the boxes for the genre.

They bumbled, when they forced competitive balance on the casual crowd. Balance should’ve stayed only on league.