OW failed as a concept?

The upcoming changes are taking ow to a different path. Its not the moba/fps team game it used to be. It will look more like apex or valorant and the synergy of abilities or strategy will be way less effective than simply aiming better than your opponent. When ow2 goes live, the concept of ow1 will be lost forever. Are the players just not enjoying this type of game or the devs just failed to shape the game correctly to be enjoyable? Is the playerbase of classic fps just massively bigger than moba/fps so the company had to open the game for more players to be viable?

i donā€™t really have an answer for both of these questions but i believe it could be both. Heroes could be used for classic ow 2-2-2 and the same heroes (with completely different balance) for a more fast paced classic shooter with many more game modes, even ranked ones like free for all, tdm, domination etc.

what if ow2 fails again? will they just go free to play battle royal mode?

4 Likes

Itā€™s the latter. This gameā€™s failure falls entirely on Blizzard. RQ and reworking ā€œlow skillā€ heroes that hurt the fragile ego of hitscan mains to lose against killed it.

7 Likes

A few weeks ago, I was strongly against it.
Now that Iā€™ve seen the future of Overwatch and just donā€™t care anymore, I have to sayā€¦ I would be happy if they did.
Iā€™m not going to play it by any means but it would be hilarious to see.

4 Likes

OW2 is Blizzard following standard procedure, when you canā€™t manage to balance things just remove the things you canā€™t balance and homogenise the living life out of your game. Preferably copy other games in the process so you donā€™t have to spend time and money on R&D

3 Likes

Like when brig launched and flipped the meta completely upside down? Like when goats deleted an entire role? Like when overwatch became shield shooting simulator? Like when overwatch changed to Hogwatch? Overwatch has been taken down many paths.

Yeah it is

The strategy and team work is still very much a part of the game and this has also been confirmed by top 500 players who play ow2 scrims which acts as a far more competitive environment than quick play youā€™re playing. Thereā€™s never team work in qp no matter which overwatch youā€™re playing. Taking the most team reliant competitive game on the market and giving individuals more freedom and impact is not a bad thing.

Apex and valorant teamwork has a huge impact, but individual performance is still given room to shine and make a difference. Overwatch teamwork makes the only difference and individual performance means nothing if your team work isnā€™t there. I just donā€™t understand why anyone thinks that extreme team reliance is a good thing, especially in a game where youā€™re matched with random people. Why would you not want your individual performance to make a difference? It simply just makes the game more enjoyable and less frustrating and I guarantee ow2 will be more successful because of it.

Correct. Judging by the forums, players have hated overwatch, every hero launch and every update for five years. If you actually go back and look at the posts year after year youā€™ll find that seriously all the main complaints about the game is exactly what theyā€™re addressing in OW2. To list a few:

• Tank synergy too strong
  • No scoreboard
  • Individual performance means nothing
  • Ranked system suck
  • Tank donā€™t feel tanky
  • Too much cc
  • 2 CP suck

Theyā€™re literally just doing what the community has been asking for over the years.

4 Likes

The original OW1 was one of the most critically acclaimed and popular games ever made, if you think it ā€˜ā€˜failed as a conceptā€™ā€™ you are living in la la land.

3 Likes

Literally this.

Tank synergy too strong: Addressed by reducing tank down to 1 per team.
No scoreboard: Addressedā€¦ by having a scoreboard.
Individual performance means nothing: Less players on the team creates way more room for individual playmaking and solo carry potential.
Ranked system sucks: Theyā€™re reworking how ranked works.
Tanks donā€™t feel tanky: They all got HP buffs and got pretty nice buffs moving to 5v5 and all feel pretty tanky now.
Too much CC: Removed all stuns from non-tank heroes apart from Anaā€™s sleep dart and Meiā€™s Blizzard and reworked Sombra to reduce the uptime of the silence on Hack.
2CP sucks: Removing it and reworking the maps for a new game mode.

OW2 is loads of fun and this is just the first beta, Iā€™m very excited for the future of the game.

1 Like

OW failed as a concept?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-07-21-overwatch-tops-us-sales-during-june-slump
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/console/-i-inside-i-i-overwatch-i-i-firewatch-i-lead-gdc-2017-choice-awards-nominees-

nope, you have a completely wrong idea about the whole situation

Not if it fails but when it fails. I love 5v5 I like the new maps, I like sojourn but eventually. Probably sooner than later.
They will break our spirits with balance. Theyā€™ve already kept to their hitscan bias. All other dps are just niche picks to annoy your teammates.
Hit scan and fast dynamic heros are the only way to play

We donā€™t judge the success of something based on one time period alone. There are a number of metrics on which success is based, and time lines are a part of the evaluation. Critical acclaim and popularity years ago mean (much) less than its current state. No one is giving OW critical acclaim now and itā€™s pretty unpopular in 2022.

1 Like

you canā€™t move to a more fps style without hitscan heroes being strong. that is what fps players want after all.

I get extremely frustrated when players donā€™t actually play a role required. As a healer main it is exhausting when a majority of players do the same motion over and over expecting different results. Yes OW1 got great reviews, just a game with selfish players and the card system along with POTG rewarded some dumb plays. This contributed to bad decision making along with overextending.

1 Like

What bs ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

2 Likes

OW1 was a massive deal, it died because of a lack of content which was partly because they did not monetize the game very well. 6v6 is the sweet spot for teamplay, but even if 5v5 is a downgrade, having regular content added to the game can carry your games success.

1 Like

OW failed only because they forced it into an esport within months of the game being officially released.

Blizzard would have had a MUCH better game if they focused on making a good game and sticking to balance and new content. They could have let the esport slowly come into play over time.

Some big wigs in Blizzard and higher up in Activision saw something they could use as a fast cash crab. Why do you think Blizzard charges $20 million just to buy in and make your own OWL team? No other esport does this with a brand new never tested game in this market.

Personally, I think most of the OWL team owners should look into filing a class action suit against Activision-Blizzard. I bet there is some clause in a contract though that prevents them from doing so.

1 Like

They wanted to be Team Fortress 2

Now TF2 isnā€™t as huge as some of these newer games, now they want to be these games

1 Like

Role que was the making of the coffin and 5v5 is lowering it into the ground. Had they not bin lazy with new char creation and dealing with shield chars as a whole we wouldnt be where were at we would of had no reason for role que.

If chars were properly made role que wouldnt have bin needed and que times would have been normalized . If they didnt just throw out poor thought up content just for the sake of doin it we wouldnt be in this situation.

1 Like

Every one of these threads I ask the exact same question and nobody seems to have an answer: what MOBA elements does OW have? It doesnā€™t have creep, buying, laning, or leveling. The closest thing we can say to it having a MOBA element is it has characters who play distinctly but that is not a MOBA element and has been in games for decades.

1 Like

I kinda look at this like a spectrum of FPS mechanics to MOBA mechanics ratio:

• CounterStrike
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Call of Duty
  • Valorant
  • Apex Legends
  • Rainbow 6 Siege
  • TitanFall 2
  • Halo Infinite
  • Splitgate
  • Dirty Bomb
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Starsiege: TRIBES
  • Overwatch 2
  • Overwatch 2017
  • Paladins
  • PlanetSide 2
  • Overwatch 2022
  • Bleeding Edge
  • Battle Born
  • HyperUniverse
  • Awesomenauts
  • League of Legends
  • DotA2
  • World of Warcraft PVP

And the primary customers that Overwatch 2 PVP is going after are these players

• Valorant
  • Apex Legends
  • Rainbow 6 Siege
  • TitanFall 2
  • Halo Infinite
  • Splitgate
  • Dirty Bomb
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Starsiege: TRIBES
  • Overwatch 2017
  • Paladins
  • PlanetSide 2
  • Overwatch 2022
  • Bleeding Edge
1 Like

You could argue that abilities per character are more commonly found on mobas rather than other genres