Overwatch's story (always stuck in the past)

And then again there are almost no points to some characters in the game in these released Cinematics u mentioned such as hammond or orisa, etc.
Why not a story about how orisa became orisa like bastion. They couldve put them together in that cinematic.

Of course not. They can’t just shove unrelated heroes into Korea or America for the D.Va/McCree shorts.

1 Like

I wasnt talkina about dva or mccre. I was talkin about the heros which we know absolutely nothin about.

Ok. But before Shooting Star, D.Va fit in that category of heroes with no major lore content like Hammond and Orisa. And Ashe would have too if she was not in Reunion. You cannot have a short that has D.Va AND Hammond AND Orisa, because none of them have reason to cross paths with each other in a meaningful way for a short right now.

Overwatch’s story is too slow-moving to garner more interest, tbh.

2 Likes

I keep hearing this, so I’m curious. What ongoing games are y’all playing that are actually moving? Is it literally just some MMOs and Gacha Mobage with monthly story updates?

I dunno why u keep repeating the same thing. Im not talking about a cinematic where they all r in together. Im talkin about separate cinematics. Like do u have any idea who symmetra is? How she got her powers?

My first comment was about how the shorts from last year already featured two heroes that fit your description of lacking in lore: D.Va and Ashe. If they were not in those shorts, they would be on the list of heroes that people want to see a short of like Zen and Lucio.

Yes. Symmetra was living in poverty post-crisis when she was found and taken in by Vishkar, who saw her potential and raised her to be an architech. Most architechs employ a systematic/mathematical approach to their construction, but Symmetra employs dance into hers, and has become one of the greatest architechs in the world. She creates her constructs using her prosthetic arm, which enables her to shape hard light energies into physical matter.

If we get a short and it is just a Sym origin story, that would be disappointing. We don’t need to see “how she got her powers” because we already know it from her hero bio.

1 Like

Then why would we need cinematics if there are bios?! We could always read.

To tell a different story. Shooting Star wasn’t in D.Va’s bio. Reunion was in neither McCree nor Ashe’s bio.

Reunion didnt give much nor did shooting star. Then again, i havent gotten my answer about what i asked in the first place. Why does it have to be in the past? Unless, Overwatch wasnt made as a story game like Starcraft but it was intended as an online FPS game and they thought maybe they could give us some background about each hero but the main focus is on the gameplay and OWL and these stuffs.

But… Neither of these were in the past? They are both present day events. The answer to “Why does it have to be in the past” is “It’s not”. The only historical piece of lore we got in the past year was Storm Rising, while both shorts and Bastet took place in the present day.

All of the animated shorts except for The Last Bastion are present day.
All of the comics except Uprising, Legacy and Retribution are present day.

The only thing that has been consistently set in the past have been the Archives missions, and that is to establish what things were like at the fall of Overwatch, and to introduce the major characters in the story (Tracer, Winston, Maximilien, Doomfist, the new omnic).

Legacy. Old Soldiers is present day.

Wasted Land was also technically in the past, but only by 1 year. Legacy/Uprising/Retribution were 6/7/8 years ago.

Right, thanks for the correction.

What about retribution or uprising ?

What about Retribution and Uprising. I said just this year. If you want to go further back…

Retribution year came with Wasted Land (past), but also Rise and Shine, Masquerade, Searching, and The Plan. Honour and Glory was also both present and past.

Uprising year came with Legacy and The Last Bastion, but also came with Infiltration, Old Soldiers, Reflections, Binary, and the whole Sombra ARG and Doomfist arc.

If you want prelaunch… All of the shorts take and comics take place in the present day. That’s 5 shorts and 6 comics.

The “past” is a minority. And if you remove the Archives event, which fundamentally has to be based on the past, you get… 1.5 shorts and 2 comics that take place in the past, and 9.5 shorts, 11 comics, The Plan, Bastet, and an ARG that take place in the present.

1 Like

People replying to this thread don’t seem to understand what OP is frustrated with.

You can argue semantics all day, but the fact is that the story progresses very slowly. Even though quite a few comics and short do technically take place “in the present”, it still feels like we’re stuck.

People want an episodic progression. People want an event that will push the plot.

“Oh but these three cinematics are present day”, yeah, but the fact that this and many other similar threads exist just shows that they don’t feel like they progress anything.

Bastet was good. It added neat fluff and padding to existing characters. But it was “mostly” stuff we knew of. That’s why people latched on to the Mercy bit in the cat short. If it’s canon, that means Ana and Jack have revealed themselves. Which is a step forward.

3 Likes

The thing is, they have to leave holes and gaps in the story so they can introduce new characters and plots. Or they’ll put themselves in corners / dead-ends (sorry, I don’t know the right words in english) and won’t be able to expand the game, the story and add new characters like they want to.

Look at Ana’s origin story : that old picture with the whole team and Mercy and McCree. And two mysterious characters. We only learned few weeks ago that the woman on the right was Sojourn! She had her face in Recall too, but no one knew who she was. They only introduce her to us with Storm Rising, and it was a perfect way to do it.

That’s how they tell their story. How they bring new characters in the game. Yes, it can be frustrating, but Overwatch wasn’t meant to tell a story, as in a linear story telling video game.

The most frustrating thing (to me) is the lack of comics. It was so great for Retribution and Uprising, I was so desapointed we didn’t get one with Storm Rising :’(

I’m really hoping they’ll give us more stories like Bastet and that the comics will come back one day.

2 Likes

I really didn’t like that the end of Storm Rising was another character reveal. My reaction was “who is this and why should I care?” I don’t care about the new Omnic. I care about the characters we know about and that ending was really upsetting too because we all KNOW it’s just another cliffhanger that will never be resolved because that’s how things have gone for the past 3 years. I miss Chris Mentzen