Overwatch's story (always stuck in the past)

Why does overwatch gives us lore information about its past rather than whats happening right now? I know there are some lore like Recall but it’s like everything is about the past. The game starts when overwatch is disbanded and the whole game even the name is based on the disbanded cooperation. It’s always flashing to the past and yet we have no idea about whats happening right now!
Would like to hear your ideas.

4 Likes

According to Kaplan, it’s because they want to build the foundation of Overwatch by giving you information about who the characters are, so when they do tell about the present, you’ll care about them.

Unfortunately the tectonic rate of lore delivery makes it a problem.

Personally, I’ve long suspected they’re stalling for time.

12 Likes

Its not that most of the stuff we get is about the past. Its that most of present day stuff is almost all just the same 1 arc from Recall. The cinematic trailer, Rise and Shine, Honour and Glory, Reunion, Recall, and arguably Dragons are all based off of the same plot thread, and that is half of the shorts right there.

In the past year, we got:

• Shooting Star - No plot progression

• Reunion - Recall response + Echo/Ashe introduction

• Storm Rising - A mission with an outcome we already knew, but introduced a new character that might be important in the present

• Baptiste - Introduced with an MIA Talon hitsquad, hasn’t done anything yet

• Bastet - Continued the plot from Old Soldiers. Other than Shooting Star, the only present day thing that isn’t something that was just introduced, or Recall.

Overall looking at this, you see history, new characters that don’t do anything yet, Recall, detatched D.Va, and one continuation of an existing present day story arc in Bastet.

TLDR: There is present day stuff. It isn’t what you want, but it exists.

1 Like

I’d consider “The Plan” the most up to date lore we have on the Junkers, not that it seems like they plan on doing anything meaningful with them at the moment

And then again there are almost no points to some characters in the game in these released Cinematics u mentioned such as hammond or orisa, etc.
Why not a story about how orisa became orisa like bastion. They couldve put them together in that cinematic.

Of course not. They can’t just shove unrelated heroes into Korea or America for the D.Va/McCree shorts.

1 Like

I wasnt talkina about dva or mccre. I was talkin about the heros which we know absolutely nothin about.

Ok. But before Shooting Star, D.Va fit in that category of heroes with no major lore content like Hammond and Orisa. And Ashe would have too if she was not in Reunion. You cannot have a short that has D.Va AND Hammond AND Orisa, because none of them have reason to cross paths with each other in a meaningful way for a short right now.

Overwatch’s story is too slow-moving to garner more interest, tbh.

2 Likes

I keep hearing this, so I’m curious. What ongoing games are y’all playing that are actually moving? Is it literally just some MMOs and Gacha Mobage with monthly story updates?

I dunno why u keep repeating the same thing. Im not talking about a cinematic where they all r in together. Im talkin about separate cinematics. Like do u have any idea who symmetra is? How she got her powers?

My first comment was about how the shorts from last year already featured two heroes that fit your description of lacking in lore: D.Va and Ashe. If they were not in those shorts, they would be on the list of heroes that people want to see a short of like Zen and Lucio.

Yes. Symmetra was living in poverty post-crisis when she was found and taken in by Vishkar, who saw her potential and raised her to be an architech. Most architechs employ a systematic/mathematical approach to their construction, but Symmetra employs dance into hers, and has become one of the greatest architechs in the world. She creates her constructs using her prosthetic arm, which enables her to shape hard light energies into physical matter.

If we get a short and it is just a Sym origin story, that would be disappointing. We don’t need to see “how she got her powers” because we already know it from her hero bio.

1 Like

Then why would we need cinematics if there are bios?! We could always read.

To tell a different story. Shooting Star wasn’t in D.Va’s bio. Reunion was in neither McCree nor Ashe’s bio.

Reunion didnt give much nor did shooting star. Then again, i havent gotten my answer about what i asked in the first place. Why does it have to be in the past? Unless, Overwatch wasnt made as a story game like Starcraft but it was intended as an online FPS game and they thought maybe they could give us some background about each hero but the main focus is on the gameplay and OWL and these stuffs.

But… Neither of these were in the past? They are both present day events. The answer to “Why does it have to be in the past” is “It’s not”. The only historical piece of lore we got in the past year was Storm Rising, while both shorts and Bastet took place in the present day.

All of the animated shorts except for The Last Bastion are present day.
All of the comics except Uprising, Legacy and Retribution are present day.

The only thing that has been consistently set in the past have been the Archives missions, and that is to establish what things were like at the fall of Overwatch, and to introduce the major characters in the story (Tracer, Winston, Maximilien, Doomfist, the new omnic).

Legacy. Old Soldiers is present day.

Wasted Land was also technically in the past, but only by 1 year. Legacy/Uprising/Retribution were 6/7/8 years ago.

Right, thanks for the correction.

What about retribution or uprising ?