Overwatch.exe - Bad Image Error

Getting a Bad Image Error pop up every time I try to run OW2 after updating from OW1.

“C:\Program Files\Audinate\Shared Files\mdnsNSP.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.”

I’ve tried updating drivers, I’ve tried reinstalling OW2. I’ve even reinstalled to a different drive and nothing has worked. Game is unplayable because this error is a constant pop up in the middle of matches.

Didn’t have this issue a week ago playing OW. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

same issue, different dll in error, what version of windows are you on?

another thread here:

whatever the latest version of 10 is. Updated this morning.

I’m not 11 compatible.

Which in itself is BS, but there are workarounds for that. However, that’s a topic for another day.

In any case, other topic on the matter is mine. Would love to have a solution as I was playing the original game just fine on Sunday and had no issues with the beta while that was up.

Same error here on at least 5 Windows 10 machines (W10 Pro, latest semi-annual channel update. Ryzen 5950x + Nvidia 3xxx). If anything Audinate Dante related is installed (DVS, Via, Controller etc.) it will error out.

As Audinate Dante is primarily used by AV-professionals it’s mainly broadcasters that will be affected by this issue.

Affected build: 2.1.0.1.105995
Latest working build: 2.00.9.3.104865

Same issue here. Win 11 with Ryan’s 9500x Nvidia 3080. Tried reinstalling all apps, and even OS with no change. Only works if I clean out anything Dante.

UPDATE: Go into windows audio settings. Go to your preferred Audio Output and change the “default” to be “Also use as default communication device”. Do the same for your preferred Input Device.

I found that Overwatch was defaulting to some random Dante output as it’s audio out, same with Audio In. And that setting your default audio in and out as BOTH “For audio” and for Communication, Overwatch will happily use these and not yell about the “bad image”

1 Like

See updated response which resolved for me.

I tried this and it hasn’t helped.

this works, but also go into task manager and end any dante/audinate processes. Doing both that and resetting the default WDM device to my soundcard rather than dante seems to have fixed it

Same issue with Overwatch 2.1.0.1 b106128.

I do rely on Dante for audio. Shouldn’t make any difference to Overwatch as it presents a standard WDM multimedia audio device.

mdnsNSP.dll suggests some incompatibility with Bonjour mDNS discovery service. Doesn’t make a load of sense. Lots of software uses Bonjour discovery. Never had issue with any software before. Overwatch Classic worked fine.

Also discovered that voice doesn’t connect at all if I’m lucky enough to get in any game.

Also any changes to in-game settings > audio device don’t stick. The setting always reverts to default device when returning to settings.

1 Like

i’ve tried all suggestions placed here, but nothings sticking. I’m an a/v professional and i literally don’t even run a dante protocol to drive my sound from my pc. Honestly, getting to the point of ridiculousness that I have to solve all these work arounds to play a seemingly inferior version of a game I paid for, but am no longer allowed to play that version.

Same issue here with the same dll.

I also tried disabling all Audinate/Dante-related services and applications, and I still get the error.

Doing this as well as setting the default/default communication devices does not yield the same fix for ma as others unfortunately. I am also an audio professional who needs to have Dante on their machine. As for the streaming industry, this is a no-op for anything broadcast related and absolutely needs to be patched.

I also sympathize with the OP here. Sure, while this is free to play, the forced obsolescence of version 1, means I can no longer use a product I enjoyed because B/A’s management team thought it was too costly to maintain servers and the codebase for that old version, I guess.

Maybe use that money to properly in-situ test your software on representative environments such as those found in pro e-sports… i.e. Dante as the audio drivers. If this were a niche sound card driver, I’d have sympathy for the weird edge case here… but this is a really common audio driver for e-sports. It seems this should be more thoroughly tested for compatibility before anyone attempts to use this in production.

Devs, Please figure out some way to handle this error boundary better than it hanging the program on an audio driver library import. Like… have it bounce and try the next device in the device list.

Same issue here pls blizzard fix it nothing work either some day I just have to restart ow twice, and it’s a go and some day no matter what I do it won’t stop.

Still unresolved in 2.1.1.0.

The developers at Audinate are in the forums asking for assistance. They have no idea why Overwatch is accessing mDNS. Blizzard isn’t responding.

Will Blizzard be offering refunds to those who still reasonable can’t play?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.