Overwatch vs Blackwatch

I am loving Moira in Retribution. Uprising is a great mode with cool narrative but I guess Blizzard team learn and evolve as new event arises, hence the narrative gets better and better (from Uprising, Junkenstein’s story and now Retribution).

Blackwatch is more causal even though everyone is trying to kill them whereas the Uprising strike team is like “I CAN’T HEAL THE PAYLOAD” “THE PAYLOAD IS TAKING DAMAGE”

And you get Reyes going like “You know, we thought about recruiting your brother” “…” “Good talk”

To be honest I’m slightly disappointed with the characterization of both Uprising and Retribution. Uprising is so focused on Tracer yet it’s also a Tracer that feels foreign, she lacks a lot of the energy she has in the modern day – which makes sense, considering the circumstances, but it’s still a shell. Within Blackwatch, the attention is split more evenly between Reyes and McCree, but Genji and Moira are just in the back of the car awkwardly on their phones while there’s an argument. When they do talk, it’s a nice relief, but it’s a shame it’s limited to mid-fight chatter.

Both sides are also very snarky in their dialogue, I feel like. I guess that’s acceptable for Blackwatch, but only because at least it fits their stereotype as anti-heroes. Take that as you will. I guess Rein and Torb are mostly just snarking at each other, and they also have the benefit of Reyes, Morrison, and Ana on the comms, but Mercy seemed very lacking. Hardly a word out of her, I felt like.

3 Likes

Er, it just means you’re kind of edgy?

I mean, the characters are “just too good” is a weird complaint to have about a group of vigilantes that are really the superheroes of the OW setting. They are meant to be good. It would be unrealistic if they were a bunch of scumbags.

Blackwatch is essentially their Black Ops division, where the dirty work is handled. So it’s realistic that they have a bit more…edge to them.

Talon is better than both of them

change my mind

1 Like

I’ve always had a weak spot for Blackwatch/Talon. Gabriel Reyes is what gives me life; even when playing Reaper. I just like the way he plays and the lore attached to him.

1 Like

You can be good without being annoying, tracer is annoyingly good and positive

1 Like

Uprising severely lacked dialouge. And by that I meant flavor text kind of dialogue. Nearly every spoken word was a cue in the game. “I can’t heal the payload” is just Mercy’s version of “Protect the payload”. There wasn’t anything like blackwatch talking about McCree being a waiter.

4 Likes

Despite if Reinhardt was in Overwatch or Blackwatch I’d say his personality is pretty good

I wouldn’t say that they are more realistic, but there is more humour in the dialogue in Retribution than in Uprising, along with more diversity. I will agree that Genji did feel lacking, but McCree felt pretty amusing, Reaper had some good lines, and Moira seemed to like making fun of them both. While there were some decent lines from Uprising, the fact that each line will play at the exact same time each time does mean that it lacks depth whereas Retribution has a good 3-4 lines per section that needs a line, as such creating replayability even from that perspective.

1 Like

From now on everyone should type

#TeamBlackWatch

Or

#TeamOverwatch

You can find these emojis here ——> 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔒𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔪𝔬𝔧𝔦 ℭ𝔞𝔣é ☕

Just follow the op’s instructions

1 Like

“Uncultured”

Have ya ever been to the

Ha! Didn’t think so.

Join Blackwatch, we have Trips to authentic world-wide locationsevery year.

I’ll be the one to look stupid on behalf of everyone else. But is there a real-life “Cave of Mystery” on the real-life Route 66? V:

I have been summoned (๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧
Team Blackwatch for the win

1 Like

If it feels like they’re lacking character in Uprising, it’s because the devs didn’t focus enough on it. The characters in Retribution feels more alive because the devs improved on the character interaction.

I mean, if you see the roster in Uprising three of them at least have really colorful personalities. There were so many things devs could’ve done with the character interactions, but they decided to make the characters comments on the mission instead.

Gotcha. :joy: Thanks, fam.

I do like both teams. It’s silly to choose one over the other.

1 Like

I agree with you and I believe it is not a coincidence. Below there’s the alignment table:

Lawful Good Neutral Good Chaotic Good
Lawful Neutral True Neutral Chaotic Neutral
Lawful Evil Neutral Evil Chaotic Evil

The lore has been built around two prime forces. The Good and the Evil. Overwatch are the “White Knights” and Talon is the absolute “Evil”. Retribution confirms that Talon is a Chaotic Evil organization, because they are evil and do not follow the rules. On the other hand, Overwatch is the exact opposite, making them Lawful Good.

The problem now is the following: How to elevate the lore from a fairytale to a realistic story. Here comes the Blackwatch. They are neither Evil, or Good. They break the rules, but they do not ignore them. They have certain long run goals, but they are not limited to those. In short, welcome to the grey zone.

While Overwatch and Talon exclusively use two brackets in the table above, Blackwatch includes almost the whole spectrum, which is - by definition - more realistic. Moira, for example, is certaintly Evil and she doesn’t like to follow the norms and laws. McCree on the other hand is Lawful because he was loyal to his gang before and now he is loyal to Blackwatch. We can observe that when he was mad with Gabriel (I did not agree with this). Gabriel transits from Lawful to Chaotic in Retribution.

Your use of DND alignment standards is a little off. Overwatch is almost entirely made up vigilantes and (now) criminals. That isn’t very lawful.

And the fact that they even have a group in their organization like Black Watch brings into question how good they are.

Morrison was Lawful good. After overwatch, he shifted to chaotic (Robin hood like) good hero. Nevertheless, at Retribution timeline Morrison, Ana, Mercy, Rein and so on are lawful good.

Also, as far as I remember from the comics, we do not really know who is the mastermind behind blackwatch.

Just imagine you are the head of CIA. You follow the laws/rules as much as you can, but you know that NSA does not have the same ideals. Are you against NSA ethically? Perhaps, but you are not the one who decides. NSA belongs in the same rule set as your agency, so you should accept the situation, either you like it or not.