Overwatch the most rigged matchmaking on earth

the game purposefully tries to balance out your gains in mmr by putting someone of equivalently high mmr on the enemy team.

this is called making balanced games. however, alternatively it could be called forcing 50% win rate. it prevents smurfs from ruining games.

Case in point. ran some tests as a diamond level player in mid silver. over 6-8 games I go up to 90% win rate for the season.

I am maintaining something around 10+ kda, typically wiping the enemy team twice for every death. I also end up with over two times as many killing blows as I have ever gotten in games at my rank.

within 6 games, my mmr is super high. I gain 43 on a win and lose somewhere between 10-15 on a loss.

however, what I would expect if the game was not rigged is that I would just get placed with higher MMR teammates, but that is not the case. instead both teams get one high MMR player and they just balance the games around my high MMR. Ie - instead of getting placed into plat games as one would expect because my MMR is too high, the system places you with other silvers of equivalently crazy mmr, ie other smurfs.

anyway. Iā€™m not saying at all that I canā€™t climb. obviously when Iā€™m winning 3 times as much than I lose on a loss, itā€™s not a big deal to lose some games. However, the game is very clearly forced to 50/50 when a player can have 10+ kda and more killing blows than heā€™s ever gotten in 1600 hours of playing the game and basically have to carry 1v6 with teammates that are exceptionally bad to balance out your mmr.

I had the first time experience of learning what itā€™s like to have 86% kill participationā€¦with 60 elims, 4deaths, and 30+ killing blows.

anyway, if you low-rankers want the truth, this is the truth.

you have two options for climbing.

1. make sure to perform well every game, but not so well that your MMR is way overbalanced for your rank.

2. outperform every game, accept the enemy team getting smurfs, and just play enough games that your positive win rate and high performance bonus help you climb.

also, if you are outperforming itā€™s easier to climb if you wait a couple days after hard stomping them for 3-4 games. for some reason the gameā€™s estimation of your mmr resets after a few days, probably because itā€™s no longer certain of your skill.

anyway with this I will eventually have my 6th account done. wanted to learn sombra but refused to play with silvers thinking I would just stomp my way into plat within 4 hrs, but no, the smurf detection is real. 10+kda with 4 killing blows every 30 secs does in fact let the game discover you are a smurf.

I sometimes wonder why they donā€™t increase the SR gains more when someone is outperforming by insane levels, but I"m guessing they are afraid if itā€™s too easy to climb that people will be more willing to throw games to practice widow and the likeā€¦ not that it stops them anyway

12 Likes

Good to know that EA can now sue for stealing their patented dynamic difficulty adjustment system.

yeah, Iā€™m not sure why I posted this. I know itā€™s not a big deal if itā€™s rigged as long as people who do well will climb at a somewhat reasonable rate.

but it amazes me that there are still people who donā€™t think that MMR adjustments to create balanced teams is not a form of rigging, basically artificially creating a more fun environment for the average player at the expense of those who are doing well. Not a big deal except that for some reason it irks me to have a 1900 account even though I just got itā€¦so I kind of wanted to get it into plat within 10 games, but I guess I have to be realistic and accept that even with 40 sr gain per win itā€™s going to be a while before I can play with those near my rank.

And if the system works like this, itā€™s entirely likely that there are similar smurfs from higher tiers dominating in my diamond games and controlling the likely outcome, which is probably why a lot of people say you have to play like the tier above to be in control of your climbing

i mean if the game balances out smurfs to the point that itā€™s hard to control winning for them, then for the average player they are going to have nearly no control over the games that are smurf controlled. Instead in low ranks you have to focus on getting good perf every game and in high ranks you have to focus on enabling that star player on each team

4 Likes

Its not rigged, if you say its rigged maybe you should show some actual evidence how, not just wall of text.

5 Likes

how do you know itā€™s not rigged?
do you have evidence to show?

7 Likes

I am far from the best player but i have played since beta and noticed this same thing happening. I play well and ir over perform vs others and stomp for 2-3 gamesā€¦then its like the game sees me and gos oh! A smurf! And puts another smurf type on the enemy team and puts potatos on my team (and enemy team as well) the. It becomes a battle of who has the better smurf AND who has the less peotato like players on each teamā€¦on mostā€¦not allā€¦most i lose cuz i just dont have the back to carry like that so i start losing 2-3 games and then it resets and so onā€¦now again im not diamond+ nor do i want to be. I like the rank im in as most players in my rank average out ti my skill lvl with a couple expections +/- but what u have posted is worded better then i could word it. And its a good example or proof in a way.

1 Like

People who say rigged really mean ā€œworking as intendedā€ but donā€™t know it.

When your rank gets higher than your stats say it should be, you get really hard to win games to FIX your rank. Thereā€™s no conspiracy to keep you from climbing, thereā€™s an algorithm that nudges your rank in the direction it BELONGS.

5 Likes

I looked at my replays and noticed 5 wins, 5 losses.
Iā€™m a ā€œNo Limitsā€ fan. If I can get 50% win % in No Limits without trying, then Matchmaking.

Please offer proof of it being rigged.

Surely if it is as pervasive as you suggest you can meet your burden of proof easily?

And, no, nothing in the OP acts as proof or even evidence sadly for you.

Thatā€™s called flipping the burden of proof. The claim is that it is rigged. Please prove that it is rigged.

6 Likes

I think youā€™re on to something, and I can definitely see similarities to some games Iā€™ve played and trends Iā€™ve seen happen within the game.

However, youā€™re not going to make any real traction because you donā€™t have any evidence or data tracking to prove what youā€™re talking about.

Start tracking things and posting the results. Even so, donā€™t be surprised if only a couple of people actually look at it, while the people (most likely) demanding it wonā€™t.

I mean, in the ā€œwhat we know about matchmaking postā€ that summarizes the info from blizzard, isnā€™t it basically stated that they try first to match players of similar ping and then on fairness of the match (which should be at worst 45-55% if there is a sufficient player population in that MMR range)?

If MMR is a predictor of win % as explained in that post then it reasonably follows that both teams would have, by intention, similar overall MMRs, so the match is expected to be 50-50% (which is, if I understand correctly, the basis for the rigging claim). This prediction should be accurate unless one or more of the players has not been assigned a correct MMR, which would eventually be corrected given a large enough number of games played, either by climbing or dropping.

Itā€™s kind of odd that you consider a 50/50 match to be ā€˜rigged though,ā€™ as opposed to the usual claim of like 80/20 and then 20/80 games to force a 50% overall win rate. Most people would consider 50/50 to be ā€˜fair.ā€™

1 Like

thing is the matchmaking its a secret so nobody but the creators have the proof but this other guy said he demanded proof while boldly claiming the matchmaking is not rigged and thats why I demanded proof from him to prove that the matchmaker is not rigged.

1 Like

Prove to me the easter bunny doesnā€™t exist.
Prove to me that Santa does not exist.

Proving negatives, while possible, is not usually how we go about doing things.

6 Likes

if i claimed they absolutely did not exist maybe i would need proof to back it up. I havenā€™t even picked a side.

Its rigged by definition because it is a system that calculates statistics and has an actual output: the matches. In other words, it purposefully manipulates things for a desired outcome.

2 Likes

The guy you replied to does have a burden of proof. Thatā€™s for sure.

And what definition is that?

A system that calculates statistics and has an output of matches is rigged?

So is your claim that literally every single matchmaking system is rigged?

1 Like

Thatā€™s the exact opposite of how the burden of proof works.

It purposefully manipulates things for a desired outcome. The desired outcome in this instance would be a fair match.

1 Like

So you define ā€œriggingā€ as ā€œtrying to find a fair matchā€?

2 Likes