Overwatch team chat not working

For about 2 weeks now my voice chat in game has been muted. I see the icons of the character + username talking and no sound comes out. I’m not sure if my team mates can hear me either because when i press my push to talk button it makes the sound that indicates its working but my icon doesn’t appear in the top left. I’ve restarted and reset to default settings and I still can’t hear my team mates.

2 Likes

are you in college? i had this same issue and it just randomly fixed itself for me. try downloading tunnelbear vpn and using it and see if that fixes ur vc.

Hey there, please consider going through these troubleshooting steps first.

The reason why college dorm networks often don’t work with voice chat is due to internet protocols for voice chat are not enabled on those secure networks.

This is exactly my issue as well. I have tried all those steps, my microphone works on other apps, but in overwatch it just doesn’t. There are no third party issues, I have not been silenced, but cannot hear my teammates speaking or speak. This is a new issue, and started a couple days ago.

3 Likes

I also have this issue on console and it started last thursday.

Hey I am also having the same problems! Can we fix this? This is ridiculous

IDK how but the issue fixed itself randomly, and no im not on a college dorm network

I have had the same issue for a month now. Tried all the troubleshooting steps for both the game and my PS4. I now get a code of: -2143223498. I’ve tried googling this and only forums that I can’t see pop up. Any ideas how to fix would be great. And the issue is only on overwatch.

I have a very similar variation of this problem.

I am on PC. My windows settings and all are correct, because when I use go to the Battle.net launcher → Settings → Voice Chat, and test my microphone there, it works just fine.

In Overwatch, my sound settings are all correct:

• Voice chat mode: Open Mic
  • Voice chat devices: Default devices (when you hover over it, it correctly shows the name of my headset)
  • Group voice chat: Auto join
  • Team voice chat: Auto join

I also checked my Battle.net account settings to make sure there are no parental controls, and there aren’t.

So with all of these settings correct, when I join a game of Overwatch, I automatically join into Team Chat, but I never hear anyone, and when I talk, I don’t see my voice chat icon on the top-left like I usually would. Also, my M key doesn’t work anymore. Usually, when I would press it, it would Mute my open mic, and show my name in the top-left with a red mute icon to indicate that I am currently muted. Now, pressing M doesn’t do anything at all.

What’s funny is, when I join Team Chat initially, I can see the Mute icon in the top-left for a few seconds, and I can toggle it on and off with M, but after about 3 seconds, it goes away and everything is as always unresponsive. Pressing M doesn’t do anything, my voice isn’t going through to anyone, I can’t hear anyone else. What’s strange is, I can see people’s Text Chats, but I’m not sure if they can see mine. I asked a few people and no one responded.

So this led me to check whether or not I had been muted by Battle.net. I can assure you, I have not. I checked my Battle.net account profile, as well as my email, and I never flame or be toxic in any way, so there is next to no chance. Also, I looked it up and it seems that there is usually a message that appears on-screen during the person’s mute period. I don’t see any such message.

I even reinstalled the whole game from scratch.

So this is it. I am completely out of options and at my wit’s end. I have to assume this is some bug I have stumbled upon. Please help.

2 Likes

I had this same issue, I’m not sure if it was an update or something. What I did is I went into options>Sound>Scroll down to Voice Chat, Enable Group/Team/Match. For some reason those all were disabled. I’m still not auto joining voice chat like I used to but voice chat is working now if I manually join each time.

Edit: just checked my settings again, you can set each one of those to auto join

I also have this issue. It started after the last patch. I have went through all troubleshooting steps. My mic works fine in every other application, including the Blizzard launcher when I test. I hear the “ding” noise when I key down, but group chat and team chat no longer works (and it did). I’ve tried resetting the binds, all of the steps in the troubleshooting thread, setting open mic rather than push to talk, changing push to talk key…nothing works.

I came here to post this exact topic. My issue started the same day as the last patch.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.