Overwatch show?

When are we getting our version of Arcane?

I want more cinematics. I want more lore. MORE COMICS please someone. An overwatch cute movie could boost the amount of new players. It’s not that hard.

in 2016 they were supposed to publish a novel called First Strike, but then they gave up because it would have blocked the creative freedom to write the characters. And I understand this, they often changed direction before really defining the lore.

I’ve always thought that the best way to do an Overwatch anime is… the TV series that Efi mentions in Hero of Numbani. it might be funny that we see the same tv show that the Overwatch world saw in their media, without really canonizing anything (probably they were idols to the world) but leaving us with a lot of information about their heroic deeds and the world of Overwatch.

It actually is. :sweat_smile: it depends a lot on the type of business you intend to follow and above all on the style. Warcraftr made a movie that a lot of people…don’t even know about. Overwatch cannot limit itself to imitating Arcane’s animation technique which was very particular. but can imagine something like a direct collaboration with the anime production teams used for Sombra and Doomfist origins. It would still be spectacular, and no different from the quality of the Bayonetta movie.

What is concerning to me is that OW2 still suffers from its non-sequel meme deserving a “2” in the name. A three-year development halt on a game liveservice for a yet-to-be-shown “project messiah” (pve) is discouraging advertising in trusting the narrative. people still associate OW as a game that doesn’t really want to commit to a story but just a competitive show, and unfortunately I have to say that products like London Calling (too badly written) and the sojourn book (too short) have narrative flaws too heavy to say the opposite.

obviously I would love to have this kind of development but you know… they don’t even do it for the blizzard crown jewel called Warcraft, they don’t do it for a series that has a REALLY great continuing narrative (Starcraft)… why would they risk it with Overwatch that thrives on a progressive lore with heroes releasing every years?

1 Like

Man, I don’t even think that the current narrative team can put together a ten page pitch document for a show with the quality required to make a full streaming series. And unless it gets handed off to an outside company, I don’t think that even blizzard has the in-house resources to render the hours and hours of content that comprises a T.V show.

Writing for T.V is a totally different skillset than writing for a game. Heck, writing any medium is a different skillset from any other medium. Have you been reading the most recent short stories? The quality isn’t exactly stellar, at least from where I’m sitting as a reader. Not to bash on the narrative team (I do genuinely respect the hell out of them for the impossible job they do despite all my complaining, honest), but I suspect that’s because the narrative team is probably mostly composed of narrative designers, not short story, comic or even game writers. They’re out of their element when demanded to work within another medium, and it shows.

But how likely are Team 4 to just dole out their own work (that they have spent almost a decade on, mind you) to other creatives to scrap and change to fit their narrative? It’s a fairly low chance, I should think. No one likes seeing their hard work get thrown out.

Add to that that most of the characters would probably need total revamps just to fit the confines of a different narrative structure, just like the characters for Arcane did. And it would most likely come with the de-canonising of vast portions of the existing content we have now. Arcane isn’t that faithful to League in a number of instances, and a lot of those changes have been retroactively implemented at the expense of existing work.

The only way I see it even becoming a possibility is if they get bought out by Microsoft and the PvE story flops hard enough. A T.V show would be a fine way to essentially soft reboot the universe and get more people interested in the game while letting the narrative team overhaul itself with a new suite of creatives to change the overall direction and vision of the story.

1 Like

please no i will actually eat a baby