Overwatch revenue down 15%, 39% from start of the year!

It’s also a three yr old game…

Something tells me there is more to it than just the game getting old.
I mean, I doubt LoL is bleeding like that even though it is much older.

10 Likes

Considering that’s around the time that the higher ups decided to cut spending, it should be seen as basic business flow(profits would be a much more revealing figure). But of course if you hate OWL or balancing or “lack of content” this is a good statistic to use to your advantage, it can mean whatever you want it to mean!

1 Like

That 39% figure is the combined figure with Hearthstone. Hearthstone is probably the bulk of the decline. Also they haven’t really done any interesting for a while now besides Workshop, something that’s only gonna attract a niche audience. It’s to be expected.

If you have barely any new content and barely any new skins, you’re not gonna sell much lootboxes.

2 Likes

I’m in favor of Overwatch sucking.

1 Like

It never ceases to amaze me how my friends tirelessly donate to the bloody DotA2 Battlepass every International for all the new map designs, effects, chests with skins, arcana-s…

1 Like

The “the game is old” crap has to stop

It’s HARDLY 3 years old

TF2 at this time was THRIVING and getting bigger and bigger (until at least like year 6 did it really start to slow down)

FFXIV is about to launch it’s next expansion and the game continues to grow after 3 years

The team needs to have PASSION for what they’re doing. That’s what keeps games alive. Passion. Communication. And understanding they’re not perfect Creator Gods

14 Likes

it’s almost like running a live service on life support isn’t at all sustainable in the longterm

7 Likes

MMOs tend to have a longer shelf life than an individual entry in most shooters. Then again a lot of those make entirely new games every few years.

I think the biggest thing hurting that revenue is the lack of content. They didn’t even put out as many skins this year, making them easier to get. I played significantly less this pass year than the year before, yet I already have enough credits to buy literally every missing skin from I need from the anniversary event.

I’m gonna wait til the 9th, but last year I had to spend money to do that. And I played more.

I think it already triggered an alarm on the devs head, but you know, maybe upper management doesn’t have alarms beside their beds.

2 Likes

Because you said it yourself. People were fired and people are quitting. And this is all happening during OWL. Wouldn’t be surprised if theyre currently on a skeleton crew for in game stuff

4 Likes

doesnt matter if revenue is down if they are still making a profit. they barely do any work on the game and just recycle events, so i bet most of it is profit.

1 Like

I’m sure any game will go through this after however many years, and I would guess most of them makes changes to try and level it out or even make it start to creep upwards. The thing with Blizzard is they always say the usual SOON or just no info at all.

They always say they have bigger plans, things that people will be so excited for, but that’s it. Just hints to try and hype it up, and then it feels like nothing ever comes from it. It makes me wonder just how tiny the Overwatch team is. They’re probably so spread out across tons of other projects, projects that might not even come to light.

I feel like they don’t have a clear direction besides hanging onto esports for dear life. If OWL isn’t bringing in new players then I’m sure they view that as a big issue.

1 Like

It ended its 3rd year, entering the 4th.

1 Like
  1. This is expected for an old game.
  2. I haven’t spent money in a long time because I just don’t think it’s worth it anymore. The last couple dozen, or so, lootboxes I have opened up have almost all been character portraits and sprays… aka the most useless garbage unlocks possible. If I was still unlocking skins then I would be more likely to purchase a lootbox package, but it appears the chances for that are slim.
1 Like

Everyone I meet ‘‘used to’’ play OW but now are playing the newest console games. Blizzard can’t compete because people have short attention spans.

Revenue down doesn’t mean the game is dying, it means loot boxes are dying.

They can get rid of loot boxes any time they like and have level up reward be replaced by gold equivalent and have a way of buying gold at a reasonable price.

See I might just buy ‘gold’.

I am NOT going to buy loot boxes. I won’t for many reasons one of them being the sheer principle. It’s gambling. I don’t gamble with money. if I pay for something I know exactly what I’m going to get, not a mystery box that could be anything, not for 50 mystery boxes that might - on average - have what I want.

If US Congress says you can only have such lootboxes in games restricted to 18+ year olds… I don’t feel I’ll lose a thing.

Overwatch will be forced to use a monetization scheme I’d actually consider using.

3 Likes

What OWL’s revenue? Cause that’s the thing they care about.

Die hard fans will always have a reason to defend their favorite publisher and refuse to see the truth, whaddya expect?

2 Likes

Sorry, but in the business point of view it matters a lot for the investors.

1 Like