Overwatch Queues

Quick Play all weekend DPS teetering between 6-10mins on the Role Screen, often times exceeding +8-10 in the actual queue, ie the length of an entire match. Priority Passes are literally useless and get refunded 80% of the time.

Competitive exceeds 15-20mins on DPS frequently for me.

Then there’s the backfilled issue anytime you go into QP or Arcade, which does literally nothing for you once again, as “Priority Requeue” is about as useful as a “Priority Pass”. You’re still going to wait 5-6mins for a match.

Then you have the classic “I’m solo-queueing getting paired against duos and trios” thank you for this lopsided duck-fest.

All of this is precisely why I’ve been queueing Destiny all weekend instead. Rarely if ever backfill, queues are under 3 minutes every time, solo-queuers are almost exclusively against other solo-queuers, and there’s no BS facade concerning useless passes and requeues.

Almost as if Bungie realized forcing Role-Lock amongst their players was a horrible idea and would tank queue times…

1 Like

Perhaps they should fix that?

[OW2] How to impressively fix Queue Times in Beta #2

I don’t know how DPS players do it… y’all have the patience of a saint

2 Likes

I’ve explained multiple times why your soft lock role lock doesn’t work.

I’m tired of doing so.

All you do is increase leavers, throwing potential and toxicity. The single tank gets hardlocked by a bad player and the player refuses to swap, effectively throwing the match. Folks then leave and the match implodes.

We already have the soft version of this in OW1 with flex passing. The unanimous consensus has been flexing has wholly lowered match quality, as players get forced onto roles they are both unfamiliar and agitated with.

Call me crazy, but I want players who want to play their role.

2 Likes

So what’s worse, persistently bad queue times, or occasionally getting tank diffed?

1 Like

It’s not a tank diff if you can’t play tank.

It’s not a tank diff if you have a thrower who refuses to swap off it.

It’s a thrower diff.

The solution is try introducing 17 supports and 17 tanks.

Then players will actually show interest in the role.

Call me crazy, parrot everyone how “people just want pew-pew” but until a game actually tries to put out as many tanks and supports as there are DPS, we’ll never know.

Color me shocked, but it should 100% work.

4 Likes

So occasionally getting a hard thrower, versus persistently bad queue times.

Which is worse?

I did dps qp this weekend. About 5 min on average.

Better than most mmo dps ques. It’s really not that bad.

Except Overwatch 2 isn’t looking to get MMO players.

They are looking to get Valorant, Apex, Paladins, Fortnite, and Overwatch 2017 players.

Also Papi is a high ELO player. So he doesn’t get “average queue times”.

I mean either of those have/had role q so its not comparable how that would work for q times there.

1 Like

Exactly.

The most successful shooters on the market aren’t bottlenecking their play base with role enforcement. Even if it does create some role imbalances.

1 Like

Too bad.

As a business, those are the players the devs are going after, and those players have high expectations.

And besides, it’s not even that difficult to fix in Overwatch 2

1. Quickplay replace with QPC but with 1Tank/2Support maximum per team
  2. Open Queue replace with Open Queue but with 1Tank/2Support maximum per team
  3. Competitive as it usually is with Role Queue
  4. DPS-only mode to soak up extra DPS. Whether that’s Push Maps, CS:GO style single elimination, or Simultaneous 3CP maps. Or skip this part entirely.

Not exactly. I’m usually off doing something else.

Here’s one of the animations i did while “playing” Overwatch.

3 Likes

Just when I thought you couldn’t be more awesome than you already were, you post this.

You are a legend :slight_smile:

It is always impressive the lengths that people will go to to avoid a role that has any sort of perceived responsibility I’m any game.

‘I just like killing stuff’ is a valid and understandable position though.

I quickly browsed your suggestion GreyFalcon and it looks like something that would kill the game off, not improve it. I know you probably put a lot of effort into your post, so kudos for the work, but your system seems built for a different game.

Queues are bad because there is no content, people are waiting for ow2, the tank meta is not fun to play or play against, and there is a general distaste towards overwatch right now because of how we ended up in this place.

Role-Lock is not the problem as much as people make it out to be, if we did not have it, match quality would be abysmal (with smurfs, thowers, toxicity, is already pretty bad). If we had regular content, balance passes, and a focus on fun, things would be completely different.

2 Likes

I agree personally but I suppose it depends on region, time of day, rank etc. information never given in these blankets statements about queues

1 Like

It literally is. OW2 is a PVE update.

The PVP is just getting a balancing update to facilitate OWL and the creation of more diverse tanks while lowering tank q times.

Well sure, but I think until we hear more, I’m assuming PVP launches long before PVE.

Every time I boot up this game I’m greeted to a 10-20 minute wait to play DPS. After playing one match I always say “nah, that wasn’t worth the wait” and go play an actual fun game with instant queue times.