Overwatch opens on secondary screen with dual monitor setup

Overwatch starts up on a wrong monitor. I have GTX 1080, into which I have plugged my 2560x1440 165Hz (limited to 144Hz) primary monitor using DisplayPort and secondary 1920x1080 60Hz monitor using DVI. This setup has worked fine before, but somewhere in the beginning of February, the issue appeared.

It is easily fixed, by going into ingame options and changing in manually from monitor 2 to monitor 1, but this is daunting and annoying to do every time the game starts. Additionally, if I go afk leaving the game running, and pc goes to sleep, it immediately starts up, blinks and the game minimizes. When I maximize the game again, it have switched to secondary monitor, but the ingame setting show monitor 1. Changing the monitor in ingame settings does nothing at this point.

I have checked that my monitor 1 is set to be primary monitor in windoiws’ settings. I have latest gpu drivers and windows should be up to date.

I have dug through previous threads about this issue, but nothing solved this issue for me.

Any ideas what to do ?

2 Likes

Follow these steps:

1. Open the NVidia Control Panel. Do to this minimize all programs so that only your Windows desktop is showing. Right click any blank space and select “NVidia Control Panel” from the pop-up menu.
  2. Click the “Set up Multiple Displays” link on the left side navigation pane.
  3. Make sure the monitors in the diagram shown is in the correct order and which one is your primary monitor.
  4. Close the panel and relaunch the game.

Hey

Thanks for the reply. The primary monitor is set to be the correct one in NVidia Control Panel, and the issue persists. Weird part is, that this issue doesn’t happen ever time i start up the game. It seems completely random.

3 Likes

I have this same weird issue. everything is set up properly in the nvidia control panel for myself as well. It also only happens at random times it seems for me. Its just tedious and annoying because ill have to not only go into setting and change the monitor manually, but i also have to change the resolution and Hz rate as its different on each of my monitors. super annoying.

Hey!

Are you still getting this issue? It went away for a while for me but now it’s back. SO annoying…

1 Like

Same issue here at the end of 2020. Sometimes the game just starts on monitor 2. No real rhyme or reason, just decides to do it for about a week at a time.

[Edited by Blizzard] This thread has been inactive for some time. Please be mindful of resurrecting older threads. A new or more recent thread can be created to continue the discussion. Locking this thread.

1 Like