Overwatch needs to make many characters deeper

Much is known about the fact Lucio had a poor upbringing in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro, and that he became a worldwide famous DJ, that later would come to fight Vishkar’s plans to demolish the favelas. However, I’d very much love to see the gaps beeing filled. How does Lúcio relates to his community? How was his activism? Show us the major conflicts of someone escaping poverty just to see his family and friends still struggling, and puting his reputation in line to help them!
IMO, he’s one of the characters with the most lore potential. He, and several other characters, feel so interesting in concept, but still lack the same dept given to the OG Overwatch crew, Talon, or the Shimadas, for instance.

TL;DR, I miss lore content so much

3 Likes

It really sucks cause a linear, single player campaign of sorts could be so cool but companies need that live service revenue. Imagine playing a single player campaign playing as like 10-15 of the heroes through different times and locations.

1 Like

Yep. Origin stories would help with this a lot and they don’t even require much (comparatively) in terms of effort. A few pictures with some panning, music, dialogue and that’s pretty much it. Satisfying a large chunk of the player best with what the game has always been known for.

This game isn’t even half as good without the lore, yet they somehow can’t see that.

If blizzard was smart they would have used events to expand on the lore rather than every event being its own self contained nonsense.

They don’t care anymore with the F2P model, it’s all about the newest hype-inducing thing

It is about sales. Everything is an ad to sell skins.

1 Like

shhhh just take the lifeguard skin and run away

The Lament of Overwatch 2. The wasted potential is staggering. It still continues to stagger. Pretty wild.

1 Like

An Overwatch TV/streaming series akin to Arcane or Fallout would go so hard. The heroes have such incredible voice actors for the most part already and the world building Blizzard did in the early days was really well done and lay down a solid foundation for the universe. Not sure if their Warcraft movie flopping scared them away from pushing their IPs onto the big/small screen platform again, but it’s a huge shame.

Lucio isn’t poor and likely wasn’t.
The tech he’s wearing was made by his father which Vishkar stole the idea from.
I dunno how the Overwatch universe works but a poor person won’t be able to attain that level of research without a sponsorship or some sort of funding.

https://overwatch.fandom.com/wiki/Benicio_Correia_dos_Santos#:~:text=Benicio%20is%20the%20father%20of,later%20stolen%20back%20by%20L%C3%BAcio.

The info we have is not enough. It says that he has grew up on a Rio’s favela, and that in the OW future, that’s still a poor area. It doesn’t state if his father got the job afterwards, what level of scientis he was of even if he was well-paid.
You see, that’s some of the stuff they could have explored more in the lore. Show me this conflicts. Was his father a talented scientist sucked dry by a corporation?

I was just thinking the same thing. An overwatch miniseries.

The reason the Warcraft movie didn’t go over that well is because they told the wrong story. The story of the rise and fall of Arthas, the story around the lich king would have gone over much better.

Also, when you have a game that is “cartoonish” in nature…the movie needs to be a serious movie and needs to be dark. No pitter pattering around…you write and tell a serious story with darkness surrounding it, find a budget to make it epic, like on the scale of Peter Jackson and LOTR…

People love that fantasy stuff and the story of the lich king has enough grab that I think I would have done well.

1 Like