Overwatch is great but the community is mentally taxing

TL;DR why is it so so very toxic ???

Don’t we all have countless of examples every day? Let me just tell you of my most recent one.

I get this wrecking ball on my QP team who for some mystical reason just doesn’t play, only follows me as McCree around, dealing 0 damage to enemies on purpose and feeding them ult. All the while calling me and others names. Then he asked in match chat for everyone to report me for being toxic in teamchat (I hadn’t typed even 1 symbol in the chat for many games now) because enemies can’t see it and they usually buy it and report anyway. After the match I ask him if I’m supposed to recognize him?

Turns out we met in another QP game 5 days ago, he has held a grudge all 5 days, finally met me in QP, so he devoted 15 minutes for his “revenge”. Then proceeded to quickly drop bannable things in whisper before instantly unfriending as to not get a response. Things I can’t even repeat here, but to paint the picture, regarding ending my existence and dropping a slur or two.

And players like this can be encountered almsot every hour of playing. Outplay someone in the match 2 times in a row and they will ask all their friends to spam report you (LITERALLY happened to me, I asked them and they admitted, and I got the automated punishment warning shortly after).

So I ask why, and what do I do against Targeted harassment? Normally I don’t have trouble ignoring cyber bullying, but when they target you for days and even try to get your account banned? What’s the solution other than quitting forever?

4 Likes

You can only get one report per match, cumulative reports will not matter. You also have to get a literal mountain of reports over the course of a few weeks to see any punishment.

Maybe look at the way you chat with your teammates? Are you being toxic?

1 Like

I think if we had a bikini Ashe skin for summer it would simmer down a little bit, or we riot.

10 Likes

I think you overestimate it. I literally racked up enough reports for “abusive chat” by typing 2 letters across 3 weeks and the 2 letters were “bg”

1 Like

Your story doesn’t add up. Why would you add someone to friend who according to you was actively toxic against you? Not only that but you claimed he got the team to report you which literally does nothing after the first report. Also you claimed he had a grudge against you which also makes little since if you haven’t been typing more then “bg”.

The only way someone would actively target you is if you made yourself memorable. So I’m sure you made toxic remarks your self, which is the only way you would get enough reports to be silenced. Since two games a week apart wouldn’t be enough to get you on probation. Not only that but this other player whispering slurs and curse words at you would not get you banned either since you didn’t type those things.

How bout you stop pretending that someone else did this too you and admit that you have probably done some toxic thing more regularly then you should?

Can’t speak for everyone, but no, no I generally do not have any examples every day. 99% of my games are toxicity-free. In fact I can’t actually remember the last time someone was toxic in one of my games.

Tho for what its worth I mainly play Vs AI, where people are just trying to have fun instead of getting sweaty. That could well make all the difference in terms of toxicity.

1 Like

The community is the worst part about this game. The game’s been great since day 1 and the only problems I ever run into are the result of player behavior. It’s a weird situation because people actually believe it’s Blizzard’s fault somehow for giving us a great game that so many people are too obtuse to play correctly. Then they rant about “bad balance”, “no content”, or whatever nonsense like their experience isn’t their own fault.

1 Like

That would make OW have the worst reporting system of any game with one. So I hope it’s not true. If they want to prevent stacks from banning people they could make it max one report per party that is accounted for but someone getting reported by +6 people in a lobby who aren’t even friends is guaranteed to be majorly and obviously toxic. Like jumping off the map or saying hate speech non stop in all chat toxic. In fact the system you’re describing would be more punishing to someone playing off meta and having some players salty and reporting them for it, then it would be to someone who jumped off the map and told people to end themselves every 2 or 3 games. Would be such a bad system it’s incredible.

On another account I even emailed blizzard to see why I got a mute, and asked them to give examples, and the examples they gave were surprising to say the least.

Enough people saw it fit to report me for talking to a friend in the match chat because I called him a “badass”, and it’s apparently toxic and profanity and worthy of reports because it contains the word butt in it, despite the fact it was in a compliment.
Furthermore I got another report for talking to the same friend calling him a “cheeky basterd xD”
more reports for using the word “delusion”, “bg”, SIX PEOPLE reported me for saying “Karen”, FOUR people reported me for saying “bg”. And it goes on and on and on. You definitely underestimate how deep the cancel culture within this game runs. I think it only took me 4 games to go from 0 reports to a warning for multiple reports and some time later it was an unwarranted mute.

Maybe you play heroes that don’t stir it up that bad. I play hitscans, so it’s extremely easy for me to wake up that part of the community, but I never consciously do anything to provoke it other than just play. (I stress this sentence , I sometimes go weeks without using chat, and then add people who claimed they reported me and ask if they really did it, and they confirm it. Sometimes their reasoning is a simple as “youre too low level, smurfs need to be banned”)

2 Likes

The OW community is toxic because Blizzard encourages it. By encourage I mean, there’s no punishment for toxicity + there’s systems in place that basically are great for creating salt e.g. long queue times, no punishments for throwing, smurfing, alt accounting being extremely prevalent, etc.

4 Likes

i think blizzard needs to punish the players that wrongly report, or instigate, especially if they ask the whole lobby to report someone for their own personal reasons

1 Like

They don’t give a F about toxicity so you’re whole suggestion is pointless.

There is no way that 4 games will net you a warning. That’s literally impossible since you can only get one report per match regardless of how many players report you in that match. At the same time I highly doubt bliz would share account info between two accounts that don’t share an email. Especially about ban information, especially specific statistics. One that lets people know exactly what they can abuse to not get banned and second it could be used to abuse others.

Frankly so far it sounds like you are making this up and you probably got banned for months of smurfing or doing some chat flaming. Especially now that you admit there is more too it then originally specified.

don’t presume to know everything about my case you psychopath. I literally told you waht I know, and I asked blizzard for specific examples that got me muted, and they pasted 5 examples, which were all pathetic excuses of alleged “toxicity” and reports. This wasn’t recently, I’m just saying this to outline this cancelling mentality, that just because you can report, they always will. That “one report per match” thing sounds dead wrong. If you think im lying I would pay good money to live in an ignorance like yours. Still trying to understand how I can rack up 3 or 4 reports for saying “bg” with no other msgs. Why is it so hard to admit that theres ppl there with toxic intentions. There’s not “more to it”. I don’t chat. I still get reports. What do you expect from bored kids that say slurs in VC, jump off the map and ask publicly “hey yall btw please report XXXX they said insert the word they literally said in VC 5 times in team chat”. I’ve seen this exact deflecting move like 6 times already

1 Like

reports don’t even matter. saw someone with the battletag j*whater and that’s apparently allowed by Blizzard for almost 100 levels. so yeah

Toxic communities are creation of bad game design.

Why do you think the PvE focused communities have the least amount of toxicity?

1 Like

Lol Karen.
20 characters.

1 Like

I sent two reports to someone from the same match for two different reasons. Both overall were because said player was being toxic. I sent the first report. Nothing. After sending the second report I got a message saying that action has been taken against said player. So it is possible to get a warning if enough people report someone in the same match. Besides, where is your proof that what you said is how this system works.

Yeah exactly, I’ve submitted only 4 reports recently and got the “thank you for reporting, action has been taken” notification twice

1 Like

The reviews on this game always said it was amazing, but watch out for the community because it is toxic. This was the number one reason why it took so long for me to actually play this game. I don’t deal with toxic people very well. I play worse and it ruins my experience. This was my first video game to ever play where I experienced toxic players. Never got that when playing CoD on Xbox. I came close to it when playing Super Smash Bros, but it’s hard to tell if someone is being toxic or playful when the only means of communication is t-bagging.