Overwatch is Dead, Yup I said it

I have been an Overwatch fan since day 1 and I still enjoy the game in small dose now. But let’s be honest this franchise is dead. It had so much potential but thanks to all the mess that has been happening with Blizzard since years ago, it was wasted. The franchise is now 5 years old and running on fumes, Overwatch 2 needs to be practically the second coming of Christ for it to save the franchise. And when you look all the cool stuff that Riot games does with LOL, a game I don’t have any interest in, it is easy to compare how little love it’s left for Overwatch from Blizzard. Well it was nice till it lasted.

Edit: Note that I said “Franchise”. A lot of people seem to think I mean the game saying that “the game is fine because I can still play it” or that " I should stop playing now"…

56 Likes

I wouldn’t quite say that it is dead yet!

6 Likes

Well it’s not dead yet as long as the mercy mains still complain to bring back pink mercy <3

16 Likes

Call it in a Zombie state if you want, with no cure in the near future, and if there is one it will be too late

36 Likes

Let me guess besides blizzards downfall: twitch, yt streamers with bad personalities, biases and toxic fandom everywhere?

Guess I should stop playing then huh
:pensive:

7 Likes

Is it dead in the sense that no one plays it anymore? No, you can still find games.

But it certainly is dead in the sense that a) it massively didn’t accomplish what it could have been and b) the developers absolutely abandoned the game obviously.

What’s unfortunate is they didn’t play the odds too well and now OW2 looks screwed while also sacrificing OW1.

22 Likes

that is also LOL basically but Riot actually knows how to take care of their characters and Lore…

4 Likes

I like this analogy.

3 Likes

They definitely squandered its potential. It was going to be huge. Movies, spinoffs, toys, stories, competition. It was a hero game in a climate where heroes are money and kids are raised by computers…

The game is still fun(ish), but it’ll never reach the heights it could’ve reached.

25 Likes

I thought Blizzard just sells books if you want lore. Someone should tell them you can tell a story start to finish in the game. Unknown concept to be sure.

1 Like

For some time it was rumored a series, an anime or a movie was in the making thanks to the animated shorts, but again if they even make something now, I think it will be too little, too late…

3 Likes

Blizzard employees got better stuff to do btw, like sexually assault people pepelaugh

13 Likes

Another reason why it’s dead

3 Likes

until the servers go down which wont happen for years

1 Like

Not really, no.

They just need to release the stuff they’ve described and market it well. Simple.

1 Like

Every time I see music videos for League of Legends
Every time I see a new pop culture event in Fortnite
Every time I see a new champion in Paladins

I always go “I wish Overwatch had that”

24 Likes

i mean its not dead but its bland as hell. its like being at a boring party while you see all the other booming parties across the block having the time of their lives

9 Likes

They bit off more than they could chew, and tbh, they would’ve been better off remaining silent on various projects.

Hype is a double edged sword after all… its great while the speculations abound, but as the reality becomes less in line with expectations, disappointment is inevitable. Yet, what did we expect from the recycling of Titan, a cancelled project that OW is based heavily on? Its not like Titan had any writing or story direction behind it, and OW has been just fleshing out back stories for the most part.

Now, as someone who is blessed and cursed with a love for Paradox’s and Creative Assmebly’s strategy games, I’m used to the concept of a first game or launch-version of a game being a platform to build from. Warhammer Total War was a barren landscape compared to Warhammer 2. I also don’t feel like a sequel/expansion for an IP has to happen every 2-3 years, or even at all in some cases… As a Gears of War fan, trust me… sometimes its best to just leave well enough alone… /shrieks in Gears 4 & 5, because sometimes, what you get, you wish you didnt.

Needless to say, they have a lot of ideas, but hamstringing the PvP template of the game (OW1) was probably a mistake. I know they want to release the new heroes in an environment they’re meant to be in, so they don’t have to change them for OW2 again, but idk.

Blizzard’s failure is one of not admitting mistakes and never wanting to roll back.
Almost all heroes added post-release have added frustration in one way or another, culminating with the destroyer of Overwatch: Brigitte - but by all means not the only one. Especially Doomfist and Sombra added so much frustration, that one must wonder if the devs never read books on game development. Also a hero like Moira was so low skill, while being so capable of killing (dominating Deathmatch for a good while at release), that I believe she made many quit in disgust.

The game already had minimum one hero that should have been deleted, namely Roadhog, while McCree’s Flashbang should have been replaced with something else.
Those two alone added just about as much frustration as the game could bear, the rest was just too much.

4 Likes