Overwatch Freezes: "(Not Responding)" hangup on immediate launch

Hey there,

Upon launching Overwatch from the Battlenet Client, the window opens and instantaneously freezes on the black startup screen.

Launching it fullscreen hangs up my computer insofar as to allow the alt + tab screen pop up to appear, but wont allow me to transition/minimize/interact with any programs. Launching it windowed yields the same results wherein the game freezes immediately upon launch, however because it is windowed, I can at least close the game and/or interact with other programs while frozen.

Attempted the following:

1. Scan and Repair through battlenet client.
  • Problem Persists
  1. Cleared Cache Folder in ProgramFiles (x86)
  • Problem resolved momentarily, problem persisted after shutdown time of 8+ hours. Clearing cache no longer allows game to startup.
  • Problem Persists
  1. Exited RAZER SYNAPSE as per archived forum recommendations.
  • Problem Persists
  1. Ran as administrator.
  • Problem Persists
  1. Disabled all overlay, overlay-potential, and other third party background software (including BitDefender, Nvidia GeForce Experience, Discord, Razer Synapse, MSI True Colour).
  • Problem Persists
  1. Attempted full Uninstall + File Deletion for both PTR / Regular Overwatch Game Client. Reinstalled both Regular Overwatch Game Client and PTR Client.
  • Problem resolved momentarily, problem persisted after several days of gameplay. Cleared cache - problem resolved momentarily. After several days again of gameplay on both PTR and Regular, freezing began to happen again.
  • Problem Persists

Additionally, alternative titles were launched through the blizzard client (Destiny 2) and were playable, as well as allowed for full system usage (ie. did not freeze/hangup/otherwise lock the system, was able to multitask). Titles were also launched on different platforms like Steam (Rainbow 6 Siege, Counter Strike, Paladins) and EPIC Launcher (Fortnite) without issue.

Therefore it stands to reason that the problems are relegated strictly to Overwatch and Overwatch-related program files.

No error codes were included. I’m out of ideas. Can’t include links to pictures/pictures themselves in new forum format to provide better context.

Basic specs are as follows:

• MSi GT62VR 6RD Dominator Gaming G Series Gaming Laptop
  • Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz
  • 16.0 GB RAM
  • 64 Bit OS
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Driver Version 390.65
  • SSD: 117 GB (OW Files Installed on this drive)
  • HDD: 914 GB

Thanks in advance!

OMG, I’ve had the exact same issue. It fixed momentarily (yesterday) failed again today. I have the exact same laptop but my Ow is on the HDD not the ssd. It might be an issue with our laptop specifically?

Updated my Nvidia Driver to the newest patch (391.01 - with FFXV as the release title for the update). Problem has been resolved, however it is clear that this could only be temporary.

Will continue to update thread as issues arise.

Had the same problem. Didn’t just disable GeForce Experience, deleted it.
Fixed the problem.
Get rid of your overlays if you are crashing.

I just had this issue today after the update. I force quit as many Nvidia/Geforce Experience processes as I could (“Nvidia Container” seems un-killable) and the problem went away. I’m running Razer and Overwolf and they didn’t seem to impact the game.

I’ve mostly been experiencing menu render and freeze. Not full black screen.

Hey there guys,

My name is Or Manor from the Overwolf support team… I’m here first of all to say sorry.

I wanted to let you know that we are aware of this bug and we are glad to report that we fixed it already.

As for now, you will not see Overwolf’s game summary after your Overwatch game session as a result of this technical problem.

We are sorry, we promise to learn from our mistakes and provide the best gaming experience as we can,
Or Manor (LEOkonami)

1 Like

Thanks fot the concern and apologies are more than enough.
Your app is great !! :laughing:

Late Update to a dead thread,

In the updates to the game since I first started this post, OW seems to have patched out whatever was causing the issues I was having (Sorry I couldn’t update, the forum won’t let you post twice in a row so I had to wait a long time for someone else to add and eventually gave up checking back after a month).

Whether or not it was my hardware, firmware, or software - or something to do with the server and not client issues - remains unknown but at least one thing has been learned: The development team is constantly fixing things both obvious and transparent on a continuous basis.

I know the forums are the least of their concern so I’m not too shook about someone - anyone - from the dev team getting back to a thread in the Tech Support forum.

I hope no one else had to/has to experience a blackout like the one I and D1x1en0rm0us had to deal with. Have a good one!

The recommendation is to remove older versions and get the beta copy of the drivers from their website.

Can you also add a dxdiag on pastebin and share it here? Give the end of the link.