Overwatch constantly requiring updating

Everytime I launch the Blizzard launcher, Overwatch requires an “update”. It really doesn’t download anything, but it adds additional time before I can get into the game. I’ve looked around for some resolutions to this problem. I found some solutions back in 2016 which required clearing some files, but that didn’t seem to work. Any solutions to this problem?

2 Likes

Same with me, it’s really weird. I keep thinking the ptr patches are going live.

Try clearing the cache on the app launcher:

I attempted this fix twice, and it didn’t change the Updating requirement.

Does the same issue occur on a new user account?

I created a new user account, and the issue is absent for that account (I only entered the game once and exited once, I did not retry). So for my main user account, the issue seems to persist.

edit I uninstalled battle.net and reinstalled. This appears to have fixed the issue.

edit2: The problem appeared again. I played a couple of times, no issues. Played for a third time, blizzard app requires an Overwatch update again.

If the issue only comes back on the old user account, it means that there’s something going on with that account’s permissions. The best move there is to move your files over to the new account and delete the old one, or contact microsoft for help troubleshooting the permissions on the old account. Usually it means something got mangled in your registry, and it’s dangerous to poke around in there if you don’t know what you’re doing. You can brick your Operating System if you remove the wrong thing.

Hello, i solved doing this:

• make sure the game is closed
  • copy or move the “data” folder outside the overwatch installation directory
  • from the launcher uninstall the game
  • make a new folder called “Overwatch” inside the blizzard installation directory
  • copy or move “data” folder inside the newly created “Overwatch” folder that should be empty
  • on the launcher install Overwatch, make sure the installation path leads to the folder you just created
  • let it check the files
  • gg
    hope this helps!

Thanks Bertoza,
But that still didn’t fix it for me. I’ve completely reinstalled the game. Still no luck.

I have been playing this game since it came out. Every time I update the game before playing, it says it is fine and update. But once I get going and get about and hour or two in, it wants to update again and I have to restart my computer twice to get it to recognize that I have already update. I am so sick of this sh*t and about to move to MW2 again, which I don’t want to. So sick of it, happens every time I get on.

As the original blue post said, this is a Windows user control issue. A new Windows account may help, or it might be a rogue antivirus quarantining your files.