Overwatch Comp Community so niceeee

I just had to mention this last comp game I was in. So I just placed for the first time ever in silver, around 1700s. This is my first season. I’ve only played in QP and figured, why not, and finish my placements. Literally the first match after placements, everyone leaves. It started with one person, then everyone. I was the only one on my team. I was so confused and sad because I didn’t know what to do. instead of leaving though, the other team encouraged me to continue and help me get some achievements. They were supportive and honestly the best bunch of people.
I mention this because I read so many things about how toxic the community is, and I just wanted to say that there are amazing people out there who have the biggest hearts.

Also shoutout to that team on Route 66, if you’re reading this, know that I’ll never forget what y’all did for me <3

3 Likes

You should honestly leave too as first few games after placement have huge SR bonus so i guess you lost a lot of SR.

Its nice to see it like this, try to take the good out of comp. I do that. There will be plenty of bad experience too so be ready for that and try to not think about it too much.

2 Likes

Lol so your whole team leaves but you think the community is nice because the enemy team helped you get achievements?

What about all your teammates leaving? You sound like a half glass full kind of person.

Never change.

1 Like

Why do you have to think about negative stuff instead of positive experience?

1 Like

He represents the majority of the overwatch community

You had an experience that amounts to a unicorn. Happy for you, but its the exception not the rule

Kind of sad dont you think?

1 Like

Its why i dont participate in any form of comms or chat unless i know the people im playing with IRL

I am not so afraid of randoms in voice, i dont even mind occasionaly toxicity or salty comments, people take stuff said in voice way too seriously. Everyone is frustrated from time to time, thats normal. I had many fights with people in voice chat in games over the years because sometimes are games in tense and emotional demanding for some. But i have also many cases when we continue discussing after and settled things down and all was good. Communication skill is important to learn too :slight_smile:

I dont take it personally, i dont take it at all now. Its much better.

Better for what exactly? Not being in voice chat can be often pretty serious disadvantage. I had many games in past which was virtualy saved by few good call outs. We would most certainly lose them without coms. On other hand I dont remember single match lost because if coms. Unless I was the one who would tilt people by choice. But then it would by my fault.

I enjoy the game more when i dont interact with the general community during matches. I prefer small groups of people i know and run comms with them

1 Like

I mention this because of the mental health ramifications associated with the toxicity in not only this community, but other online communities as well. Focusing on the goodness and spreading an environment that is welcoming to people instead of the current state has an incredible impact to the mental health of the people behind the screen.

1 Like

This is why the best communities have direct control over who can participate in them

I dont have that option in an overwatch match unless i have a full premade of known people.

Barring that my only control is turning off comms. It isnt an ideal solution, but its the most effective

1 Like

“It’s the exception, not the rule” is quite literally enabling the toxicity of the community. Instead of setting yourself up for a bandwagon bias, why don’t you advocate for a more welcoming community?
Furthermore, I don’t think he represents the majority of the overwatch community. I genuinely think that the majority of players are respectful and decent human beings. Of course, to this, I’m just being optimistic.

1 Like

I am not obligated to spend energy on people who are determined to misunderstand me.

As in all things, individual experiences vary

I definitely agree that what I’m saying is easier said than done. I’m practically the same thing. Why put ourselves in such an environment

1 Like

If you will pick two players and let them play 10 000 comp games while their attitude will be same, do you think they will have same general experience from comp at the end? Or different?

1 Like

Its a flawed premise to suggest any two people have the same, identical perspective. Even minor differences on a match to match, day to day basis can wildly affect outcomes

Of course it will not be indentical. My point is more about how people actualy do have same experience in overwatch, they are just processing it differently. I will give you example.

Classic tilted forum user" I had 4 leavers in 10 games. Creating forum post about it how leavers are big issue and something has to be done, also blaming them for dropping in rank.

ME
Imagine me instead of that player, same experience, i am very analytic kind of person btw, not so much emotional. 2 games were canceled by leaver, resulted in fast requeue, 1 person left in middle of match and we still barely won. In one match were were stomped so someone left, already probably lost game anyway as person left in last minute.

So in my eyes I didnt lose anything because of leavers, but for someone else can this be reason to think leavers are big issues.

I think that general experience is same for all if us, or lets say for certain groups of players it will be slightly different. Or for entire regions/servers. But we are all playing same game and playing with same player base. Only big difference if how we process that experience.

1 Like