Overwatch at the Game Awards (1 award won, 2 additional related nominations)

I guess they didn’t get enough money from us. lol

Isn’t Cloud9 and London Spitfire the same owner?

Sorry guys, we got your money. We are into mobile games now.

PS: You have phone?

3 Likes

Nailed it! :joy::rofl:

Just as a reminder, Game Director Jeff Kaplan will be presenting an award of some sort in the show tonight. Don’t know if there will be any teasers for Overwatch, but you never know.

2 Likes

Let me guess, Overwatch mobile and 3 new PC/console skins?

Tbh I think League should have won but that’s just me. Production value for league finals was insane

3 Likes

Did CS:GO, DotA 2, Fortnite, or LoL make massive strides in normalizing e-sports, bring e-sports to a mainstream audience, land television deals with ESPN/Disney, or manage to keep high and consistent viewership 4 days a week for months straight? If you don’t think Overwatch deserved this award, you’re delusional or misinformed.

It’s honestly sad that so many of the people on these forums can’t see how much of a positive impact OWL has had this year.

3 Likes

Meanwhile CS:GO went free-to-play. Timing is “interesting”. :thinking:

gET OVER HERE!!!

1 Like

ITT: People who believe the Esports award is underserved just because they don’t like it. What is this whole thing based on? Actual competition? Viewership? Entertainment?

OWL succeeded at all of them, with a lot of the underdogs team improving gradually (except for Shanghai.) It wasn’t always one team dominating. It succeeded at marketing not only the league, but esports as a whole to casual players by naming teams after cities to make people give a crap, and by being the first esports to ever be streamed on the main ESPN channel.

I don’t get these people, it’s like you want OW to fail.

2 Likes

well, owl murdered game for regular players. And since it’s doing so well - just forget about anything that is not OWL related

2 Likes

Stoked! I want a Sub Zero skin for Mei now that I’m thinking about it.

1 Like

Thank you for this. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills sometimes when I bring up OWL on here. What it’s done not only for this game but for video games in general is massive. Grand finals on ESPN (not ESPN3, 4, or 8), but actual ESPN at primetime on a Friday? That’s crazy. It was awesome to watch.

If he announces any form of mobile content i’m going to be so disappointed.

Mmhm.

Yep.

Eh, i’ll give you that, didn’t stop the other games from having massive E-Sport’s events.

And yet they still relied on underhanded tactics such as having streams play in the background of the launcher to pad out viewers, plus unlike the other nominated games it’s E-Sport scene didn’t naturally evolve as a result of it’s niche or popularity, it rose to popularity because it had a lot of money thrown at it quickly and a full set of pre-chosen teams to compete in it.
It’s done well sure, but with no grassroot leagues, questionable balance and the fact that they alienated a very large portion of the community by forcing it onto the scene we don’t know how long it’s going to keep being successful.

2 Likes

IMO, Esports award is just for best production quality and overall just creating a great atmosphere and offering good games. League’s production quality has been great, and their ceremonies for finals is always something huge. I understand with this type of grading criteria then league would win every year. But they need to have a proper metric to actually give the award out in a reasonable way. Maybe I haven’t seen enough OWL but imo Leagues LCS is just high quality.

2 Likes

As I said, the reason why it won was because it marketed itself towards a mainstream audience perfectly, and was streamed on the freaking main ESPN channel!

I mean, the production value was crazy as well, with even the finals being held at Barclays Centre. The way a team like NYXL markets itself as well really adds to it all, by giving you a sense of real belonging if you follow them.

Overwatch was nominated for Best Ongoing Game for its second year in a row, but Fortnite wins the award this year.

Jeff is in the house!

2 Likes

I still can’t believe my boi Walugui ain’t in Smash but the Persona 5 weeb is…

SOBS EVEN HARDER