Overwatch 5v5 might be the nail in the coffin

not at all

there are a number of other factors to consider, and it is unlikely in the extreme that the player role preference distribution will change exactly (or even close to) what is described above

it is for example unlikely in the extreme that the tank population will remain the same, with so many of them indicating that they will be quitting, have already quit, or will be switching roles due to the upcoming single tank arrangement

Fun is subjective. And where did you get the idea of 50% swapping to dps? I said the dps role will grow disproportionately to the other roles.

There is real chance that it ends as 1/1/1 eventually.

2 Likes

Are you thinking OW2 pvp is going to be separate or something? OW1 will cease to exist when the OW2 client is released.

2 Likes

To an individual. Fun can be pretty objective when it comes to population groups.

Which almost everyone wants to play. Something doesn’t add up.

That’s funny, but I did notice when they spoke on it, they had a hedge in their voice on never going back to 6 v 6. That tells me they understand that in reality, 5 v 5 might not work out as grand as they think. The problem is their internal playtesting gives them the answers they want, so when it finally hits real play, players do any and everything they don’t expect. I am convinced that not having real testing done on the PTR is half the problem they have in understanding what works and doesn’t.

Thing is, they simply moved problem - supports are next to go under knife.

2 Likes

Exactly this. Can’t add more to this. But some ppl will tell you yo wait 2 years to find it out yourself.

1 Like

Nothing will change. Didn’t they said in one interview that originally they had help with the mechanics of the FPS while working on OW by the CoD team? Everything since then has been pure Blizzard. Maybe if they want to get this game under control they should go back to asking companies that are more familiar with FPS games for help.

If the tank player base halves, which I think is more likely, then the queue times will be right back where they are today. If the DPS player base increases as well with new players buying the game then queue times could get a lot worse than now. They are relying on making the tank role not suck more than it does and I don’t have any faith they can do that.

They already said in their AMA that at least 1 of the new maps has problems with snipers and clear lines of sight which will be problematic with 1 tank and they need to work out what to do about it. I mean, these are new maps and they admit they are still making some of them widow maps after all the complaints that Widow is too strong on Widow maps and causes a hide-and-peek playstyle very few people enjoy.

I have to admit I find the OW dev team very hard to understand.

7 Likes

5v5 will not fix the queue times. There is already evidence of this in WoW. DPS queue times are still sky high. It is a fallacy to believe otherwise.

3 Likes

5v5 Buff the DPS queue times Harder. It will take forever the dps queues if they remove 1 tank role. I promise you that the PvP in OW2 will be a flop harder than Cyberpunk 2077 or Warcraft 3 Reforged.

Completely agree that it will depend on whether they can make playing tanks a more enjoyable experience. Unfortunately they said they wanted faster games which means fragile tanks with some increase offensive capability.

If tanks in Overwatch 2 become glorified tissue paper punching bags then I would probably play a different role.

I expect in the beginning there will be more tank player, but if the experience is still terrible them the tank player number would plummet like in Overwatch 1 and we will end up in the same place as now.

1 Like

Not mathematically.
currently tank is the role with the fewest players.
This means that if only 1 tank is needed per match, twice as many matches are started as before, which means that DPS and support have half the queue time. at least mathematically.
It depends on how they manage the balance and reduce the pressure on tanks.

Cyberpunk 2077 wasn’t a flop, look at the sales numbers. But yes it would have taken at least a year and shouldn’t come out for the old consoles. In terms of player numbers, it will be really similar to cyberpunk. First a lot of players, but then a very sharp drop in the numbers. As soon as the PvE story is played through, many PvE will be left and only grinders and achievement hunters will remain.
The PvP depends on the balaceing where I also tend to see black, because the community is clearly behind 6v6 (the official Korean Overwatch YT Channel had done a poll with 50k voters and about 15% were for 5v5.) and Blizzard has shown in several games that balancing and maintaining a game (including Overwatch) is not their strength.

1 Like

this math makes the incorrect assumption that the number of players by role doesnt change when the game moves to 5v5

many current tank players have openly declared they wont be playing tank anymore when the move to 5v5 occurs. Some of them are moving to dps which skews the numbers doubly

1 Like

I am aware of this. (I should have written about it). It is just the best and easiest example to play it through with the current distributions. (Since we don´t know about the distibution after that Patch)

I am aswell aware that there will be more pressure on one tank and that tanks, especially with new players, will get a lot of toxicity and thus after a while there will be fewer tanks than now. I have a feeling that the devs just don’t think through many changes to the end.
It could work on paper and the first look, but when you play through all the scenarios you only see the problems. Same with the Priorty Passes: Good basic idea, bad implementation = practically useless feature.

While I’m mostly play DD, I really enjoy playing Tank with a friend. That will no longer be possible. It also costs the game an incredible amount of complexity and flexibility.

1 Like

Ops lays out his thoughts well. Good job and I agree for the most part.

Personally, support main, and I enjoy supporting that intangible thing we refer to as the team. Some games you have a ‘team’ and some games you don’t. You know what I mean. But I’m worried based on what’s been released so far that the swing towards the individual in ow2 will be so big that the whole ‘team’ thing will be lost. If that’s the case I plan to change roles to DPS. But being honest with myself, any game out there can fill the DPS urges I get from time to time. So m’eh. Guess we’ll see how it all shakes out.

2 Likes

Although even a tiny fraction of DPS players switching to Tank would cancel that out.

I havent heard any dps players indicating theyll be moving to tank when 5v5 arrives, so I have no idea why this unlikely hypothetical is being mentioned here

3 Likes