Overwatch 2's Story - The First Character to Die

Hi, everyone. Recently, I’ve been thinking more and more about Overwatch 2, and I rewatched the trailers. I then remembered an old forum post asking about if at any point in the Cinematics or in-game, one of our treasured characters could perish in the story.

So, I did some research, and started to eliminate some characters that would definitely not die off.

Some guaranteed safe characters are Tracer, Winston, Reinhardt, Mercy, Brigitte, Lucio, Echo, Baptiste, Sombra, Widowmaker, Ashe, Sojourn, Doomfist, Pharah, D.Va, Orisa, Hammond, Genji, Mei, Sigma, Symmetra, and Zarya. This makes up a good majority of characters that are most likely necessary plot-wise.

Now, I’ve got three huge contenders for characters that would most likely die sometime in the story.

Reaper and Soldier: 76 are the two most likely to die in my theory of where the story will take us. It is almost destined for these two to eternally fight over their feuds in the past. What happened back then lead them to fake their deaths and take new personas, so it’d almost be fitting that a fight between them now should neatly wrap both of their arcs up with their demise. Two old soldiers fighting it out to the point where they both die from their actions, and in their last few minutes or seconds, they reconcile as the good friends they used to be.

These next few characters I’m mentioning are really only here because they are not necessary plot-wise (as far as we know).

Bastion is a universally loved character story wise, but hated game wise. If you’ve read the Overwatch graphic novel, you would know that Bastion has been with Torbjorn for awhile in the story, getting repaired and taken care of, as Torbjorn believes Bastion is a special omnic. It would be absolutely heart-wretching to see our favourite e54 Bastion perish in a fight, but I see a much better way to plan his demise story wise. We didn’t Sombra at all in the gameplay and story trailers, and I believe that’s for a purpose. In my theory, Sombra is going to be used to completely eliminate or take control of the omnics that are helping Overwatch or are simply associated with an Overwatch member. I see a possible mission where Sombra hacks Bastion and turns him against the players, eventually leaving the team no choice but to eliminate him. It would be an extremely emotional scene and battle, having to destroy the friend you’ve made and tried to help, and that’s my reason why Bastion could be a possible target for elimination by the Overwatch story devs.

There are a couple characters that fall into the same category as Bastion where they serve no real story purpose overall, as far as we’re concerned. Zenyatta is another candidate that Sombra could turn against Genji for instance.

Ana is another character that has the possibility to not make it to end of the story, it would be fitting for all the older legacy Overwatch members to perish together, which is why I don’t see Ana dying with Reaper and Soldier: 76 as a far off idea.

Other characters that I haven’t called safe or made a case for are simply characters that would get an emotional reaction from the audience and players. Characters like McCree, Hanzo, Junkrat, Roadhog are well liked characters story wise but overall don’t serve much of a purpose to the story, with McCree being the outlier in that list after getting Echo.

There’s one character I haven’t mentioned and that is Moira, which I could really see going either way. It would probably be another Reaper vs Soldier: 76 scenario, but instead with Mercy and Moira, but I seriously doubt Blizzard would let Mercy die in the story.

I know this is probably a topic that a lot of people have thought of, and if you think I made a mistake, I’d be happy to hear your opinion down below in comments. Thanks for reading, and I hope you have a great day!

Any of the omnics, I swear the point of omnics in the lore is so you can have close up kill shots withough triggering a T-M rating.

3 Likes

Don’t see why Rein wouldn’t die and he’s honestly my prime candidate to go out in a blaze of glory and get a nice funeral. Honestly, how they’ve set up the characters, someone close to the Overwatch organization and an original member and is old will have the most impact to die. So it’ll probably be a Reaper, S76, or Rein sacrifice in a crucial moment if it happens at all. Ana is too much of a grandma to give her the glory. Or it’ll be Genji or McCree. Or it’ll be a new character that receives more development and shows more character in their death state than all of them combined.

6 Likes

Has like no bearing to the current plot event

Same as with D.va, he’s just taking names in Junkertown.

Is Lucio even part of OW? Seems like he’s just doing his own thing.

Doing her own thing as well.

We don’t even know where he is

Symmetra and Lucio are characters that wouldn’t die just because they don’t need too. There is literally no reason I could see them die other then old age. I don’t think they would really impact the story if they did die so I think they’re probably safe from death in OW2

1 Like

I don’t think they’re going to die either, I was just pointing out that those heroes are probably not story relevant in the first place.

1 Like

You’ve not seen the first mission from Blizzcon then? I won’t spoil it for you, but Lucio becomes very important for the plot.

Everything else I agree with, though.

The only death that would impact me is Rein.

Ohh I didn’t realize that’s what you meant. But yeah I don’t see Symmetra being very important other then maybe some sort of mission with Echo or Lucio that includes Vishkar.

But if you haven’t seen the first mission story at Blizzcon, Lucio is actually important to the story.

On the contrary I believe Bastion might be one of the most important characters…

If Torb can prove to the world that a Bastion unit can become good, the idea that Omnics should be feared due to the hive minds that have caused war, will cease to exist.

Oh, and if they got rid of Bastion just because they don’t want to make it playable in-game, I would stop playing or following Overwatch. Period.

1 Like

I am guessing Sombra will play a very important part in the story, in a sense that she pretends to work for both Talon and Overwatch for her own benefits, she betrays them both at the end and gains something incredible.

I dont think theyd ever kill a character, since it would be weird to see them ingame constantly

2 Likes

Rein: Ana? How can this be? I thought you were dead…
Ana: Well, I’m more alive than you are.

Somewhere in the archives Blizz has got this recorded. Believe you me.

Story deaths would not effect multiplayer, the Devs made this clear.

1 Like

Yes, but the devs have a history of going back on their word… also, I only brought that up because everyone seems to want a hero to die to be removed from the game which is just greedy and lazy.

1 Like

The choices from the first one to die i think will be Rein, Soldier or Ana.

Later i think that Winston and Doomfist have very big chances to die.

I always thought Rein would be the first to go. I mean, a character the community loves, who is an ultimate defender of his team to the very end? It writes itself. I could also see Sigma dying, simply because he’s lovable and it would hurt real bad seeing him die without a redemption.

When it comes to the younger characters, I think Hanzo, Widowmaker, or Junkrat would be high up there. All three are connected to other characters in major ways.
Hanzo could sacrifice himself as an ultimate redemption to save Genji, a sort of inversion of their lore.
Widowmaker is generally disposable and her death could force Reaper to reconsider his alliances (and save us from an eventual Sylvanas/Kerrigan arc)
Junkrat’s death at the hand of Overwatch could make Hog go full evil and side with Talon somehow OR Junk being killed by Talon could push Hog into Overwatch.

Jeff said Bastion is gonna have a very important role in ow 2

So i suppose he will sacrifice himself for protecting others, and show the humans that not all omnics are a threat

1 Like

Pffft Reinhardt dying? No waaaaay it’s not like he’s:
-A fan favorite personality wise.
-The 2nd oldest character in the game.
-A mentor to Brigitte, much like how Balderich was a mentor to Reinhardt.
-Ready to die for his friends and family.

1 Like

“Take this Doomfist! 20m radius HAMMER DOWN” *gets donuted

1 Like