Overwatch 2 vs overwatch 1

It won’t change much because it’ll be released in next 12 months.

UI is almost identical to the one we saw in 2019.

They’re just polishing all stuff now (mainly reworks)

1 Like

agree here. the ui seems a little bloated.
if ui has customize options that will be stronk.

In general, the OW2 visuals seem thick, rich, overdone and probably under-necessary. If a game is fun and competitive, it can look like factorio and still succeed. many pvp’ers will be running at lowest settings for best fps to avoid all the visual clutter.

it could be we hate being dislodged from our comfort zone.
some ppl resist change at all costs.

recall ow2 was a kind of make-work project to keep a bunch of mediocres employed, training them up internally, and handing over the reigns to intermediates who should still be juniors.

it was meant to regurg some old ideas leftover from titan that were never baked into ow1 and hash out other ‘nice to haves’.

They redid all their workflows, tooling, idea-to-compile pipelines, and global “supply chain” in the sense of getting chinese artwork firms (those horrendous mercy haircuts). lots to streamline and collab, particularly during covid19.

And then for no real reason except to flex their AAA relevance, they redid the entire engine top/bottom (instead of basic overhaul/optimize). Probably same goes for servers, one can only hope for increased tickrates and something on east.

Superimpose onto all that the PvE campaigns with cinematics, next-gen AI, all the social/bnet integration (guilds?), rpg elements talent trees, unlocks, hardmode achievements, etc.

Seems like they promised the moon “redefining a sequel”
when pmuch no1 asked for it.
we would have settled for dlc or expansion packs.

2 Likes

I don’t even despise 90% of it. Just two things that effect me greatly:

1.) Overwatch 2’s gameplay losing its uniqueness. Now its just a shooter with abilities (Which is outclassed by Titanfall 2 IMO).

2.) Overwatch 2 will remove Overwatch 1, so I lose one game I did like and get one game I don’t want.

Though, I have a few ideas to fix that last one. Can’t mention them though.

2 Likes

I absolutely resist change when it comes to losing something that I paid for. I will always resist that change and go through great lengths to avoid it.

1 Like

totally get this pov
(in general)

but it’s a GaaS

just how much playtime of “things being the same” did u expect for ur $40.

Honestly? 90% of it. I expected balance changes, not to lose my entire game I paid for, and I don’t think that should be normalized. Can Overwatch just turn into an Overwatch themed puzzle game one day and everyone will just accept that? Yeah, that’s intentionally hyperbolic.

Besides, I’ve never had a game completely reinvent itself like this whether the playerbase liked it or not.

1 Like

A lot of people are complaining about the UI, but the UI is probably not finished. The game isn’t even on Beta yet.
Look at some old videos of Overwatch, the UI wasn’t finished when they introduced Overwatch. And I don’t think OW2 UI is finished yet.

Would be nice if Classic mode in arcade was just OW1 as it ends before becoming OW2. Just leave up some OW1 servers. No need to balance or anything (assuming they didn’t totally screw the balance more before then). At least for those that end up not liking 5v5 (looking at lots of tank players possibly) there is somewhere to go. Even make it open queue if that helps if less people are playing so the queues are not too long.

1 Like

You’re not alone brother.

1 Like

Suuuuuuuuuuuuure
https://imgur.com/a/YGBlVWR

1 Like

Wasn’t referring to UI elements lol

I’m still not convinced those are finished yet.

I hope so. I really do. Because I highly dislike them, specially comparing them to the current OW visual effects.

2 Likes

I love the visual aspect of the game (maps, aesthetics, heroes…)
But this new visual effects (damage boost, nano, taking damage…) They look so unpolished and horrible. I 100% like way more the current visuals. I will miss seeing thunder bolts around my screen when I’m nanoed or when using Primal Rage. Instead, it seems they’re going for this “modern” and “clean” look and visual effects look horrible, like floating clouds. They all look like the same variant but with different colours or a bunch of PNGs floating. It looks cheap, it looks lazy, and it looks unfinished. I really really hope they update those before OW2 comes out.

2 Likes

Neat, never saw that. A lot nicer less cluttered UI than we have now. Why’d they change it?

couldnt agree more with this statement

Ah suddenly now that OW2 is revealed everyone loves OW1, when before these forums were nothing but complaining about how much OW1 sucks. I don’t believe any of you. I think everyone here just hates everything and comes here to complain about the next new thing.

u dont realise how much you love something until the threat of it disappearing is a reality. sure i rage at the game and say i hate it coz i get one shot every time i walk out of spawn or im sick of doom and his bugs, but when i face the fact i may never be able to play ow1 again, it makes me realise how much im going to miss it

I get your point, but I want to point out how I’ve always loved Overwatch and mainly complained about the balance changes. I love Overwatch so much that I’m explicitly making a game right now that’s heavily based on what Overwatch used to be.

I hope it to be a cross between Bioshock and Overwatch :slight_smile:

Regardless, I’ve stayed on brand with this, and I think its crazy that I’m losing that game. At least, I’m losing it for a little while.

1 Like

I think people are completely overreacting though. People are complaining about balance before we even have a beta. Game is still in alpha, they’re just putting ideas into the game right now, you can’t balance when you don’t have an audience playing your game. Who knows how many of their ideas will actually stick. There’s also a lot of information we don’t know like how the new heroes will effect the game, other hero reworks. Complaining about balance right now is absolutely ridiculous. People are just impatient and jumping to conclusions before we even enter the balance phase which very well could be a year long beta.

I think that all goes out the window when you actively show people what you have. At that point, its open for critique, which should then help the game. That’s the whole reason why I’m cagey about my work now. We can’t just show stuff off, and then say “Wait, don’t actually say anything about it. We’re just testing things out internally and we showed it externally for no reason”.

1 Like