Overwatch 2 Unplayable Stuttering and FPS Issues

I am writing to report a persistent issue with Overwatch 2 that has been occurring since the tail end of last season/start of this one. My girlfriend’s PC meets all the recommended specifications for the game, including a Radeon RX 5500 XT GPU, an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, and 16GB of RAM. She has been playing the game without any issues since launch until recently, where the game’s FPS has become practically unplayable due to severe stuttering. Before the issues came around, she would get a constant 120-140 FPS (was capped at 144) with no stuttering. Now, with it capped the same, it will randomly stutter and decrease, going from 144 to 100, or 144 to 80 etc… sometimes for just a quick second, other times for 5 seconds, and it happens enough times a game to make it unenjoyable and unplayable. Nothing in particular seems to cause this, sometimes it happens in spawn, sometimes it doesnt, sometimes in team fights, other times not etc.

We have tried several solutions to resolve the issue, including:

• Updating the game and drivers, including rolling back to previous drivers.
  • Checking and adjusting the in-game graphics settings.
  • Disabling unnecessary background applications and processes.
  • Disabling antivirus software temporarily.
  • Adding command line arguments (-dx11, -heapsize 11793600000, -high).
  • Checking and adjusting settings in the AMD Radeon Software, including turning on Radeon Boost, increasing the power limit, and disabling Radeon Chill.
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling the game, scanning and repairing it.

Despite trying all of these, the FPS stuttering issue persists (some of these solutions made it more bearable and occur less often, though not enough), and it is only occurring with Overwatch 2. All other games and applications are running smoothly without any issues.

The only thing I’ve noticed is memory usage in task manager is at 80-95% while playing the game, not sure if its related or not, but everything else seems fine, including the temperatures.

I would appreciate any assistance you can provide in resolving this issue as Overwatch 2 is my girlfriend’s favorite game, and it makes me feel terrible being unable to solve this, and just seeing her get sad at not being able to play it as a result of the issues. Please let me know if you require any further information or details.

2 Likes

Your girlfriend would need to collect diagnostic files and submit them via ticket for assistance with this. Sometimes we can help on the forum, so it would be ok to post them here, too.

Okay, and might I ask how she would go about collecting the diagnostic file?

Are you sure her PC is booting with the full 16GB? 80-95% memory usage in task manager sounds like one of her PC’s RAM sticks isn’t properly working and been disabled by her PC’s BIOS.

The high memory usage itself would cause swapping (aka. Pagefile usage) to occur which will affect frametimes due to the hard disk/SSD being thrashed to avoid running out of RAM.

I’ve had the same problem in season 4, FPS tanks and disk usage spikes. Season 1 had memory problems as well, season 2 and 3 were fine.

edit. I tried enabling Reduce Buffering setting and it helped some, not fixed completely but mostly stable.

edit. The may 9th patch made it worse again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.