Overwatch 2 PvP Beta Analysis: How Data and Community Feedback Inform Game Balance

So, all that data and Reaper, Junkrat, Symmetra, Mei, etc are still left as bottom tier picks for years

Like, there’s nothing else that needs to be said.

Good job

9 Likes

oh they might look at stuff that sticks out across all ranks…but theyre making changes right now for OWL…cause its important to them that that thing has some semblance of sanity (even though they cant even see the effects of it until after current stage finishes)…

unmentioned in that article is that they know balancing of the game at THIS stage is not a top priority…which is why certain heroes and such might not be touched…yet

but it is good to see in writing that they dont just approach balance in the game like we do…thank you jeebus

Just because a hero gets played a lot, doesn’t mean all of the high amount of players also need to win.

Jesus christ how much more do they have to spell it out to you guys.

“Take Symmetra, for example. She consistently has one of the highest win rates in both the beta and live game because people tend to play Symmetra in situations where she is more likely to win, like defending the first point of a map.”

Basically telling you that these heroes should be played where they are strong , and according to their internal stats they are ok and even strong in their niche.

They are not struggling. Struggling isnt about them not being popular as they were designed to not be generalists. So they will never be as popular as non niche heroes.

So them not having a huge pickrate doesnt mean that anything is wrong with these heroes as their winrates are healthy.
The only thing wrong with these heroes is their design.

According to all the info and evidence that the devs have given us, there is no red flag urgency to buff these heroes because they are struggling. As their stats dont show this.
What they will probably do is rework most if not all these problematic designed heroes so they will work better in more situations and in the OW2 environment.

4 Likes

i hope they do matchmaking next time…

and its just a picture

11 Likes

And with maps being removed and the new maps not benefiting some of these heroes, what is left for them?

Turn your whole brain on.

6 Likes

It was needed to stress the importance of mirrored vs unmirrored winrates.

5 Likes

Ya when they brought up the need for context I thought they would bring up the fact that of course the new character and the ones that saw changes would have inflated pickrates, but they never did.

2 Likes

Because I was making lunch.

7 Likes

Really concerning that Sombras stealth speed synergy with speed passive for dps was nerfed not for balance reasons, but just cause.

6 Likes

Personally I think they needed more time for better data. The timeframe is pretty short.

1 Like

Her unmirrored winrate seems to be pretty bad still :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Look if they aren’t viable they aren’t picked. The fact that they can work in a small % of the time doesn’t mean they aren’t underperforming. Does a hero have to have a 0% pick rate in order for you to declare they are struggling?

This is not fine.

No you don’t seem to understand, Ana is in every game because according to the devs the support players just love playing her. It has nothing to do with her being strong or anything like that.

Its ridiculous that the devs spent the whole article talking about the importance of these stats and then go, “ya we are going to ignore this one and make up some stupid reasoning for why its so different than the norm”.

16 Likes

Why do you think they achieve what you say in OW2 when it took months of stagnation in OW1 to come even close to what you’re talking about in our current game?

4 Likes

Her winrate is bad and there is no player feedback over Sombra being very fast during stealth being unfair, but we feel she shouldnt have that anyway.

3 Likes

Anyone who wasn’t dumb knew this. The only people who tried to use raw winrates were that “special set of players” trying to argue that Cassidy wasn’t busted which was comical

1 Like

No, But i understand WHY they have low pickrates.
As you seem to not get this fact even though i have told you many times WHY.
And even the devs have told you in their own way of explaining things.

Their pickrates are low because they are niche, not generalists. They were not designed to be played all the time.
The issue is in their design. They will never be as popular as heroes that are not as situational as these heroes.

I mean how more clear can i be as far as letting you know why these heroes have low pickrates.

A van or industrial sized pickup truck will never be as popular as family sedan cars.
As sedan cars are more universally useful and versatile for the average person.

4 Likes

He’s also the 8th worst across the roster. The data isn’t super clear but at least 2 of those doing worse than him aren’t even DPS, so he’s among the worst DPS in the game. Combined with his high pickrate, something is off here.