Overwatch 2 PvP Beta Analysis: How Data and Community Feedback Inform Game Balance

But……but….Overbuff!!!

5 Likes

oh look, devs still work on this game and came to visit us. so nice to have you here…

seriously, 5v5 is not beta, its alpha. the game is horribly unbalanced and its a bad version of cod tdm.

10 Likes

Concerned about the lack of stats per map point. I don’t doubt they do this internally but it’d appear that there are severe and problematic swings in effectiveness from point to point and that should be explicitly acknowledged.

Separately, Ana’s low winrate confirms some fears I have. Right now things suck for tanks because there’s no other good targets to hit with util because overall mobility is too high and too much of the missing tanks power was moved to the other tank instead of rightfully being distributed across the team.

2 Likes

Still better than current OW1

1 Like

Can we rub this into the faces of those Cassidy defenders that constantly argue with winrate?

Also, I took a closer look at the pictures, and I gotta ask… where is Junkrat?

3 Likes

It’s the best option, but still not perfect. The Sym problem they talk about runs deeper as it highlights how strong some heroes are in specific situations that might not be reflected in overall win rate. Is that a balance problem? Is it okay for heroes to have an 80+% unmirrored win rate on their best maps even if the broader number is fine?

3 Likes

Yep.

Depends on your point of view. Looking at the data she at least succeeds in her niche so can have that argument used. There doesn’t appear to be any other hero who fits into the niche argument, though.

I’d rather we moved away from such drastic winrates in either direction but it is debatable.

2 Likes

What are you talking about lol. If anything this reassures even more than McCrees winrate was bad and was taken into account. Thats why he received multiple small buffs.

If it was what you are trying to wrongly inply, he wouldn’t have received any help.

It also reassures what i been saying forever, that niche heroes like Sym are performing well in places they are strong at. At they are not bottom of the barrel bad like their 1 tricks like to claim.
She has good winrates in her niche.

The devs keep non stop proving me right or that at least are on a similar page on the things i post.

Raw numbers in OW have never told the story….yet that’s how people have always approached balance on here for years….

“omg X is bigger than Y…better do something about it”

Honestly the balance discussion as a whole has been one of the most aggravating discussions ever on here over the games 6 years (which is different from the balance itself)

11 Likes

Hopefully the devs can start posting these numbers every couple of months. Or just make the data fully public. More data is always good.

5 Likes

OWL stats lab is what I want for OW

(Sadly looks to not be functioning this season)

4 Likes

Is a winrate between 48% and 46% really bad now?
His winrate is not as bad as some of his unreasonable defenders make it out to be.

Just goes to show that dev team takes into account more data than people on these forums think.

7 Likes

According to Blizzard , and whatever winrate stats they have, yes. Or else they wouldnt have tried many times to help him.

And according to this article they may have over nerfed 76 so I hope that gets addressed as well. Maybe 19 damage instead of 18.

I love this. Getting to see unmirrored winrates is so much more transparent than what we see from over buff. I really hope the devs gives more stats like this when the game is released.

11 Likes

‘The design team wanted to keep an eye on several things as the first beta began.’

Who was keeping an eye on it? Stevie Wonder? Ana played in every OWL game. Junk, Sym, Bastion, Torb were nowhere to be seen.

Mirror games all over the place, with a game with 32? Heroes.

‘but weighted usage rate helps us see that they were as engaging to tank players as Ana was to support players.’

Ana is not engaging to play, she just had an ability to throw a grenade that takes little skill to land on tanks and gives you an instant win.

On a side note, who picked that title font? Are they trying to be funny? There are no gaps between the letters. Why not put the titles in Papyrus and the main body in Comic Sans?

16 Likes

They spent paragraphs talking about sojourn pick rate in the beta… of course she was picked a lot… she’s the new hero added to the game. We don’t need to spend half an article just saying sojourn was picked a lot.

16 Likes

If that winrate is bad, I don’t get why they didn’t do anything for D.va. She also hovers between 46% and 48% percent.
There are quite a few heroes that also have winrates below that.

It’s also worth mentioning that this data is for all ranks. Is that actually valuable in terms of balance? Once comp launches there will likely be enormous differences between high and low ranks.

Give us all the data! :eyes:

4 Likes

It is when he’s 7th most played across all roles. Look behind bastion on the chart. Depending on who the line is behind Ana/DF that’d make him 2nd/3rd most played DPS.