Overwatch 2 not supporting true ultrawide 21:9

Hi again Jambrix, I wanted to send you a reply earlier but forum wouldn’t allow me.

At this point I’m pretty sure the reason for black bars at Ultrawide is that the game locks the aspect ratio rather than the pixel ratio - so no matter what res you choose, it will value the aspect ratio higher. This becomes an issue when a res like 3440x1440 is linked to 21:9, when in fact its true aspect ratio is 21.5:9 - so when 21:9 is forced, it creates the small black bars because the pixel count gets cropped to force the 21:9 ratio.

If possible, creating a 21.5 : 9 aspect ratio would probably fix the problem (or a setting to value pixel ratio above aspect ratio could probably also fix it, if possible to implement).

I mean we didn’t have proper ultrawide support before so I’m not complaining !

Same problem here
3840x1600 21:9 with black bars

same problem

3440x1440 144hz . It’s show an * after the 3440x1440 resolution.

If I put it in 2560x1440 it full the screen but leave black bar on 3440x1440

same problem Black bars with 3440x1440 resolution 21:9
2560 x 1440 works without black bars but this is not native monitor resolution.
The resolution with 3440x1440 are marked with a * at the end, don’t know what that means.

You’ve got to be kidding me…Blizzard, a AAA game studio, who’s previous game had ultrawide support just fine…Now broke it for Overwatch 2? This is insanity. Along with all the other BS they’re forcing on us this is absolutely ridiculous. How the HELL do they not have a FPS capable of rendering to your full screen’s resolution?!

I have the exact same problem. I knew the game had a lot of bad reviews due to all the other BS, but this is insane. They can’t even render the game on a screen right. It’s beyond pathetic.

FIX THIS BLIZZARD! Your entire brand is being trashed cause you can’t even make a simple game anymore. So f’ing stupid.

1 Like

lmao I cannot believe this hasn’t been fixed yet

1 Like

My 2560 x 1080 monitor always worked fine in fullscreen with the 21:9 aspect ratio, but yesterday all of a sudden, it had switched itself to 16:9 and is now stuck this way.
I still have the menu option to switch to 21:9, but when I select it and click apply, nothing happens.
As soon as I leave the menu, and go back, the aspect ratio option is back to 16:9.
I have tried absolutely everything (checked gpu configuration, reinstalled the game, checked and edited config files and at last even reset my game settings - to no avail).
Please do something about it, because it is really hurting my experience with one of the games that I love the most.

when can we expect 21:9 support? it’s still not working

I’m having the same small borders on the side as all the other commenters. I also want to say that I don’t think Overwatch 2 Is addressing anything regarding ultrawide at all. It stretches everything near the edges of the screen on either side, the menus stretch as well to “fill space” when it’s not needed, literally have to turn my head to go from the left side to the right side of the menu. This is not something I have to do in COD or Apex. Althought I do expect some degree of stretching, I think the team should at least work to properly support 21:9 and work to minimize the stretching effect, as well as address the menu issue I’ve raised. I at least hope they do, it’s off putting to see so many errors when 21:9 works great in World of Warcraft but terrible in Overwatch 2.

Pls fix this problem blizzard.

Still no fix for this? Didn’t have this problem before I reset my pc…

OMG season 3 already and this is still not fixed. Get off your lazy asses and fix this blizz!!!

Please fix this issue! Cant be that hard. Do what you did with the first OW.

The problem is that the developers lock the game at a maximum 21:9 ratio which is actually 3360x1440. They’ve been at this for years and I really doubt they will listen to us ultrawide users. We make up less than 2% of the population.

1 Like

Tho I still bet we vastly outweigh the infinitesimally tiny portion of players using a “true” 21:9 ratio monitor lol. Makes one wonder why that ratio even exists as default when practically nobody uses it.

This issue also means I get a noticeable amount of aliasing on my 3840 x 1600 monitor. Small black bars are one thing that I could look past, but every edge looks jagged and gross since " 3840 x 1600 " is a lie, and it’s running at a non-native resolution.

I just got this issue and haven’t changed anything nor my monitor etc. Everything is as it should be and I’ve tried every solution to “fix” this without any results. Never had this before. These bars are hella annoying!

Yup, wasnt an issue in OW1. LG lg 38gl950g-b which is 3840x1600