Overwatch 2 keeps causing BSOD on PC

It happens whenever I am done with the queue, whenever the match starts or when the match ends… My PC freezes completely and reboots itself.
What I’ve tried to fix this is:

• Repair Windows (Using dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth & sfc /scannow)
  • Update everything (This includes Chipset drivers, GPU drivers and Windows)
  • Check and repair Overwatch (There was nothing to repair)

Yet it still keeps happening.
i’m running Windows 11 with the following specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 5950X
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080Ti OC Edition
RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR4
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
The game is installed on a Corsair Force MP600 SSD.

Here’s the dxdiag(Pastebin)
BlueScreenView says the crash seems to be happening in the ntoskrnl.exe, specifically: Bug Check 0x133: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

EDIT: Seems like NVIDIA Broadcast voice driver (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvrtxvad64v.sys) is causing the issue. Closing NVIDIA broadcast is a workaround.
NVIDIA asked in a ticket to create a ticket here.

Blizzard, fix this mess of a launch.

13 Likes

BlueScreen errors require reading memory dump files, which isn’t something I perform as a volunteer on the forum. To my knowledge, Blizzard staff doesn’t read them either, due to the notice on the support documentation.

This issue is not supported by Blizzard Customer Service as it is not caused by a Blizzard product. We’ve provided some suggestions below, but you will need to consult your computer manufacturer or a local technical troubleshooter if the issue persists.

There are three BSOD codes in the report, 133, 1a8, and 1b8. Maybe you can find more info about them online or from a PC tech. There’s also an app you can try called WhoCrashed.

Yes, Overwatch 2 does not directly cause the crash, but it makes something else crash causing the system crash and reboot itself;

The DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bug check has a value of 0x00000133. This bug check indicates that the DPC watchdog executed, either because it detected a single long-running deferred procedure call (DPC), or because the system spent a prolonged time at an interrupt request level (IRQL) of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

This only happens when I’m running Overwatch 2, and I’m not the only one who is getting this exact same issue… Coincidence? I don’t think so.

I’m happy to share memory dumps, if needed. I don’t think it’s unreasonable, that with the current state of the launch it’s the least they could do to compensate us for the time we’ve lost and aren’t getting back/refund for.

I rather help with fixing this mess than complaining about it until it happens automatically.

4 Likes

That’s not how logic works. There are many other games that could potentially cause you to experience the same behavior on the system.

Again, I do not read memory dumps, that’s too much for a volunteer here. If I were in your position, I’d work with Microsoft tech support on their forum, or a hardware forum/Reddit to see if someone will review them for you.

I could say the same about

That’s like saying alcohol isn’t the cause of death because somebody drunk drove into a tree. With this logic applied the death cause would be: Hard impact against tree. That’s absolutely ridiculous.

Again, this ONLY happens with Overwatch 2, and I’m not the only one with this issue. I’ve seen you in multiple threads about the same issue, not a coincidence.
And I’ve been to Reddit, where you can read about this issue too. But I doubt the developers read issues over there so that’s why, like many others with the same issue, I post here.

10 Likes

I don’t write their policy, that’s a quote from their Support page.

As the only volunteer in this forum, you will see me in a lot of places.

The fact is, if a rep sees BlueScreen errors in your report, your issue isn’t supported by their team. They may have light guidance available like “reinstall your drivers” or something, but they are not going to read your memory dumps. Tech Support is provided as a courtesy service, so they have limitations in place for what they will do.

Maybe a patch will tidy up whatever is happening in the background, causing a domino effect. But in the meantime, I recommend using that app, which has plenty of documentation.

Thanks for the reply, I hope they do make an exception seeing how many others are experiencing the same issue.
I’ll come back later with more information from WhoCrashed.

3 Likes

Same here 3 BSOD only on Overwatch 2

• Repair Windows (Using dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth & sfc /scannow)
  • Update GPU drivers and Windows
  • DDU and clean reinstall GPU Drivers
  • Check and repair Overwatch (There was nothing to repair)

My 3 BSOD have in common

• Bug Check Code : 0x00000133
  • Caused by Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
  • Caused by Adrdess : ntoskrnl.exe+420fb0
  • Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+420fb0
  • Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000000
  • Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000501
  • Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000500

The only thing that is changing is Parameter 4

• BSOD n°1 : fffff801`4491c340
  • BSOD n°2 : fffff805`6e51c340
  • BSOD n°3 : fffff801`1751c340

I’ve used BlueScreenView.

Just to add and complement your post.

Instable overclock/hardware settings and uncapped fps can generate some problems.

Sometimes are simple stuff like uncapped framerate, unstable overclock settings or even some incompatibility with some settings in game making the hardware behave awkwardly.

A friend of mine had problems with features who re-scaled the screen like upscaling features. Another had overheating issues due uncapped framerate, another exposed unstable overclocking.

While the code can vary, how the system behave on exceptions can mislead what the problem actually is.

Hello! I am having the same issue!!! Same processor, same model of RAM (except running two kits for a total of 64GB). May I ask what motherboard are you running? I am using the ROG Crosshair VIII Formula and I know OW2 is having issues with ASUS’s provided audio drivers as well.

Anyway, I investigated the memory dumps in collaboration with some sysadmin friends and it seems to be a bug in OW2 that is causing this issue on some hardware (probably in the anti-cheat due to the low level nature of the violation).

Basically as far as fixing it we just have to wait and hope a patch fixes it, the only glimmer of hope for right now may be Windows 10 as it may handle these exceptions differently, and it is likely that the dev team is running Windows 10 on most of their workstations still so it might have been found / patched on there.

Nothing to specifically add other than OW2 is also causing this crash for me. Hopefully you get some further information… Otherwise best of luck to everyone here with the same issue.

3 Likes

I’ve played tons and tons of various games RDR2, GTA, Apex, Cyberpunk 2077, Witcher 3, NieR, Monster Hunter Marvel’s Spider-man etc, including the first Overwatch, hours on end. Hell I even sleep with some games running.

I can confidently say that Overwatch 2 is causing the BSOD error. No doubt in my mind, 1000%. My PC is barely a year old, R9 3900X and RTX 3070, as far as I know from other post people with Nvidia cards are experiencing the problem.

I don’t know how Blizzard operate but they need to fix this issue. If anyone has any temporary solution I would try that. I hear uninstalling Nvidia voice/broadcast helps but I had yet to try it.

3 Likes

I’ve been having the same BSOD issues. Running an Intel i9, EVGA RTX 2080, 16 GB of ram.
One thing that has helped a bit is turning off ‘Dynamic Render Scale’, my sample size is small here (only2 games)
Prior to turning this off, I would always BSOD midway through a match. Give it a shot

Same issue here, bluescreening randomly ONLY on Overwatch 2.

5950x, 3080ti, x570s

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION related to the ntoskrnl.exe

1 Like

It’s a conflict between OW2 and nVidia Broadcast or the nVidia drivers

1 Like

Im Having the Same issue its only OW2 That causes the blue screens
Im currently Running a Ryzen 9 5900x And a RTX 3070

1 Like

Did you end up trying that ?

I have NVIDIA broadcast and a Ryzen 9 3900x/RTx 3080. Not getting a BSOD, but it sounds like it. Since it just freezes and just makes a BSOD crashing noise.

DDU’d, passed twice on MEMTEST86, no unstable OCs, everything left at stock. Temps are around 60C for both the GPU and CPU. I have capped my FPS at 240, I set it at 300FPS and it would do these hard crashes.

Dude the same exact thing is happening to me. My computer runs perfectly fine with every game I play except for overwatch 2. It runs at around 300fps then begins to freezer until my entire PC shuts down and restarts. I am running a Ryzen 7 3700x 8-Core with a Nvidia RTX 2060 along with 32 GB of ram.

1 Like

Some players are avoiding the issue by disabling nVidia broadcast and using debug mode through the nVidia Control Panel (it’s in a menu at the top of the window).

1 Like