Overwatch 2 for the first few minutes makes my PC suffer

Hello there… whenever i play overwatch 2 for the first few minutes after launching the game through steam the game uses 100% of my cpu and my fps drop to 10-20 but after a few minutes the game barely uses any of my cpu and gpu since i have a powerful pc
CPU: i5-12600k
GPU: RX 6800 XT

This is the game doing shader compilation/verification and it takes a few minutes every single time you load the game.

Which version of Windows are you on? I’m trying to rule out of this is a Windows 11 thing or an AMD GPU thing. It’s been an on going issue for me for a long time, but I just know to launch the game and wait a few minutes for it to finish.

I’m on a 13600kf and an RX 6600 btw, with Windows 11, everything up to date.

Hey there,

Dauntless is correct, this seems to be a shader compiling issue with the drivers.

Try doing a clean reinstall of the AMD drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller and see if that helps.

1. Download DDU here
    • Click on the first link under “Announcements” titled Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). Then click the “Official Download Here” link to start the download.
  2. Run the .exe file and extract the contents to the default location. Open the new folder and run the Display Driver Uninstaller.
  3. You will get a pop-up saying it is recommended to reboot in Safe Mode, feel free to ignore this if you are not familiar with how to get into Safe Mode. To start the removal process, click on the driver type on the right side first, then click “Clean and restart”
  4. Once the PC restarts, go ahead and download the current drivers here: https://www.amd.com/en/support
  5. Run the driver installer and use the default/recommended install steps.

I’ve done it multiple times, doesn’t fix the issue. It even persisted through a full Windows reinstall. I’m normally pretty big on giving tech support over on the D4/WoW forums, so yeah, I’d recommend a DDU reinstall right off the bat as well.

There’s also this other issue of it being really slow at allocating/loading things into the physical ram(not talking vram). It only loads/allocates like 100-200MB/s and has to fill GBs worth when the game loads (like 6 or so GB). The game is on a fast SSD. It might be some clash between drivers or windows security though, not sure. Here’s an example video of what I mean:

https://imgur.com/a/s7wb60L

This clip actually kind of makes me a liar this one time lol, normally it does this for like 2-3 minutes straight when I log in and my CPU usage will be far higher like 150w high. Though I did just log out of the game an hour or two ago, so maybe the game still thinks my cache is “fresh.” That or maybe since I launched the game from the folder, instead of with the battlenet launcher.

Some other details that might help:
13600kf
32GB DDR4 3200
RX 6600 23.8.1 drivers with SAM on
Windows 11 22H2 fully up to date
Motherboard BIOS up to date
No hypervisor
No launchers, mouse/keyboard/rgb softwares, bloatware, nothing

1 Like

I noticed the same after I upgraded from AMD driver 23.5.1 to 23.7.1 and also still on 23.8.1, with my RX 5700XT.

Overwatch loads up, and starts to fill up the RAM at the menu screen at about 25MB/s. When you enter a game or even the practice range, the RAM usage keeps increasing at about 50MB/s. While this happens CPU usage is high and the framerate takes a plunge and is inconsistent, making the game barely playable. This keeps going (in my case) for about 4-5 minutes until it has reached 6600MB see pic: https://imgur.com/a/CF5MevV, and the framerate is instantly back to normal.

When Overwatch is closed before it has finished whatever it was doing (shader compilation?) it will stay running in the background until the same RAM usage is reached (6600MB in my case) and only then the process ends.

When Overwatch is closed either during or after it completed the task, and starting it again the issue starts all over again.

I used DDU several times to switch between driver 23.5.1 and 23.7.1 and even reinstalled Overwatch, the only thing that seems to ‘fix’ it for me is to use driver 23.5.1 where this issue does not happen.

Here is a link to the DxDiag report: https://pastebin.com/Rx1sVn0Q and my PC specs if anyone is interested in it.

Ryzen 5 3600 on B450 chipset
16GB DDR4-3200
RX 5700XT, driver 23.8.1 (used for DxDiag) with stock settings, SAM enabled.
Windows 11 22H2 22621.2134
BIOS with AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.7

1 Like

try to install driver 21.12.1 will fix the problem

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.