Open Queue = Goats Meta

Role Q definitely didnt solve all problems but it definitely didnt cause more problems either.

There are many non-222 team compositions that “make sense”

222 added multiple severe problems to the game.

The one cited most often is the excessive wait times in the dps queue.

You say that but I’ve definitely seen more people who believe adapting or switching is “not my job”, constantly blaming and berating whatever role is their scapegoat of choice, or just don’t care as much if they win because they’re on an off role.

you’ve seen 2 2 2 beat random bs. the comp still has to have decent synergy. cant just be a cluster and still win…unless the other team is just that bad.

I never said there wasnt non 2-2-2 comps that make sense. Of course there is. I’m saying your average player doesn’t form compositions that make sense and sin e they dont 2-2-2 is the most balanced comp for your average player.

Long Q times and the inability to swap outside of the role you Q for are the o ly two real problems and what does that matter when open Q gets quick Q times for low quality 5 dps games

2-2-2 isn’t a composition. Dive is a composition, Brawl is a composition, Bunker is a composition. The average player still doesn’t form any composition that makes sense, they play dive tanks with brawl damage characters and bunker supports or dive damage characters with bunker tanks and a Lucio/Zen.

The game didn’t need 2-2-2 as badly as it needs a better tutorial/in game system to teach players how individual heroes work and synergize into actual comps.

1 Like

2-2-2 is a composition…sure there may be different names based on the character choice but it definitely is one. Dive is an example of a 2-2-2 composition. It’s just officially named.

Just like 3-3 is a composition under the name of goats.

I do agree we need a actual tutorial tho

A composition implies synergy and a cohesive goal/plan for the team. Dive is a 2-2-2 comp that has that but it also has non 2-2-2 variants.

Calling 2-2-2 in any form a good composition is like saying any 3-3 is a good composition, just because goats was good, even if it means Hog, Ball, Orisa, Zen, Lucio, Mercy.

I didnt think I needed to explain synergies. My bad. I thought that was a given. It’s actually exemplifying my point. If people are going to be ignorant to synergies then at least we have some tanks dps and healers. Something you dont always get the luxury of with open Q. It’s not the end all be all solution but its damn sure better than having 5 dps and one poor soul who cares enough to heal.

My point is you say 2-2-2 is a composition that makes the most sense when in reality 2-2-2 does not mean much in terms of actual composition. 2-2-2 is literally anything under the sun with that number in each role.

As much as people loved to complain about the 5 damage 1 support/tank compositions they were insanely rare outside of desperation in games that were steamrolls. Yeah it sucked with it happened, but it sucks just as much now when you have people trying to play drastically different compositions between the three roles. If anything it feels worse because that player on Orisa may be a good dive support/damage player but they can’t swap with the support playing Baptiste who is a good Ball player.

2-2-2 makes the most sense for players who are ignorant on how to synergize or just choose not too. It doesn’t make the most sense for players who actually play the game properly. And ita not rare at all in gold or platinum I can guarantee you that.

I am/was in gold/silver and I can guarantee you it was not that common in games that weren’t already steamrolls.

As I said I don’t consider 2-2-2 a comp. It’s just the number of specific roles on the team, with a semblance of balance when they will likely have no sense of synergy either way.

I’m also on xbox one, are you? It is super common. But we can agree to disagree.

1 Like

Played on both Xbox and on Pc. But I also try to group up as much as possible when I play comp.

Changing the game for the better starts with player education. A tutorial from the developers that explains the intricacies of overwatch is vital. Knowledge is power. We have to get a majority of the playerbase to play the game properly first and no system we put into place will solve that until the majority know what they’re doing

1 Like

That’s why I was/am in principle against role lock. Yes it’s a fix for some problems, but it creates some too, while not doing anything to deal with the root of the problem which is a lack of in game education/tutorial and a lack of incentive to play as a team. Clans/better tools for forming groups where people can play with the same group of people and build chemistry would be a great start alongside a better tutorial/in game learning tool.

In the current reality of the game where developers have no plans of creating a better tutorial or educating the playerbase or creating incentives for team oriented play I think role Q is a necessary evil. In the alternate reality where the developers give us those things I think role Q needs to go bye bye and we need to go back to having the freedom to swap and counter. There is also the issue of blizzard having a tough time balancing heros. 2-2-2 does make that easier. Someone is always OP unfortunately.

1 Like

I’d be happy with (and it’s potentially simpler than putting in all the tutorial content that would be needed) clans and an added emphasis on playing as a group/team, a statement of some sort saying that a group is the intended way to play the game. Then make open queue for either clans/6-stacks or groups of some kind and make role queue solo queue.

I see where you’re coming from and indeed it would be an improvement but that by itself isnt enough. Big. Changes are needed to incentivize team play or else you get a slightly improved version of LFG. LFG is a failure or at least it is in terms of what I think it should have promoted. I dont care what’s easy for the developers at this point, overwatch is not in a great state, I care what revitalizes it. I care about what turns it into the game it should be. The tutorial system needs a huge rework no matter how much effort they need to put into it. Tutorial should not be skippable either. It should be done in such a way that tests what you’ve learned too…so people cant sleep through it. All of this is viable for a competitive environment let people do what they want in arcade or quick play. There is something for everyone but I’m tired of casual gamers with no competitive drive or motivation to learn ruining the competitive experience and it’s not even about everyone hitting gm. Who cares if some people’s skill level is capped at silver or gold…that’s fine…so long as they’re still playing the game properly and its competitive for them. As long as at the end of the day it’s still overwatch.

You have more than an improved version of LFG though. LFG did nothing to promote teamplay or playing with a group and forming chemistry together. Clans would do that and in the process they could all hold each other accountable and learn together as a team. They have a common goal, are held accountable together as they either improve or drop together, and that’s important.