Only about 10% of players want Mercy to stay like this

How do we know that the large sample isn’t biased? I can take another sample voted by players who main that hero then I will say most of OW players want to revert roadhog :thinking:

2 Likes

Oh c’mon. A lot of us on the forum didn’t even know to vote.

6 Likes

I actually showed my concerns that a certain person with their followers will affect the poll greatly and sadly they did… not saying their opinion doesn’t matter but you took the opinion of one side of the community threw the poll and advertised it to them while left the other side with no popular figure to advertise it.

Subtract about 10-15million to account for smurfs

I didn’t vote, and I’m going to assume I’m not alone in this. Your stats are off.

Besides, people who are disgruntled are FAR more likely to actively voice their concern, so results will be skewed even further.

2 Likes

If you want to you could ask the OP of the post since they’ve taken into account of asking for ID verification (your Battlenet code) to verify your vote and answer.

It would be bias if they mainly just asked only Mercy mains, but they managed to even sub categorized non-support and non-Mercy players what they think as well, so theres not much double standard since its showing what both sides think about Mercy’s balance rn.

And they did give a disclaimer that it does not reflect the entire playerbase since, not a lot of people go on the forums, but it still does relfect peoples opinion about her balance rn. Check out the post, I dont wanna copy paste the whole disclaimer since its really long.

If im not mistaken the number of people was

9 Likes

…NO
There are less then 30K in here
The most upvoted post on the entire forums has like 1300 Likes, how the peck would that translate to 20Million people?

1 Like

you mean less than 10% of people that A) heard about poll on forums (elsewhere? - already only a tiny fraction of the actual player base) and B) are already predispositioned to have a negative view of the character if they even cared to read the original thread to begin with and C) bothered to vote…

Don’t get me wrong cause the results could actually end up being the same in a poll of the whole player base…but please don’t act like the poll was any sort of scientific and has any real value…it’s nice to have something to point to…but at the end of the day if you want any realiable information you’re going to have to get blizz somehow to do in game polling…there can’t be selectivity in your sample sizing

It’s like me asking a bunch of fans In a teams Reddit page after their team just got hammered how they feel about their quarterback that threw 5 interceptions when he was already on the hot seat to begin with

(Where else did you advertise this btw because the survey itself has more responses the your survey thread has views…which also makes you wonder about repeat voters…)

8 Likes

Yeah I’m gonna be the one.

According to the survey 2700 people participated. Blizzard has said they have over 40million players. We just assume it’s 20 million because of smurfs.
so if
20’000’000 = 100%
2’700 =x%
X= 0.0135%

So 0.0135% of the playerbase participated. 0.0135%
That’s the majority how again??

EDIT: There is a lot of work that went into the survey and I respect the person who put their time and effort in, but the data is unreliable as hell. Not only is it a tiny amount of playerbase that participated, but also the people only from the forum did. That the people who frequent this forum are unhappy with Mercy is no secret. If they were happy, they would not visit this forum and complain, they’d just play and get on with their lives. So this data is skewed.

9 Likes

Somebody could probably take the sample size and create a proportionate estimation of how it would reflect the opinion of the playerbase as a whole.

I hate maths and I’m lazy, so i’m not doing it lol

2 Likes

Also people are more likely to participate in the survey if they had personal investment in the results.

3 Likes

I checked the results table and my response to that survey got filtered.

As someone who is generally OK with the state of Mercy (might need some slight adjustments) I’ll take it with a grain of salt.

But you cannot create and estimation on the total of the playerbase by taking the sample of 0.0135%.

Like mentioned before, people who are content with Mercy don’t come on the forum because they have nothing to complain. This is biased towards the Mercy mains in this forum which is an echo chamber. I dare you do the same survey on Reddit or even in game, I can almost guarantee the numbers will look quite different.

1 Like

What about the people who dont like Mercy rn and dont come to the forums then? It goes both ways, I have friends who arent content with Mercy rn and they dont come to the forums.

Im not saying youre wrong, but it goes both ways.

5 Likes

If the participants already know it’s a Mercy servery the results will be skewed wherever it’s posted. You would have to post it on Reddit, call it an “Overwatch survey” and have many incidental questions that don’t mention Mercy at all, and only a few Mercy questions. It still wouldn’t be perfect but this methodology would be far more accurate.

4 Likes

Yes this seems like the best approach to it.
Ofc the only way to know 100% if Blizzard made an in-game OW survey and asked 2-3questions about every hero. But even then, many won’t participate and it’d probably be skewed.

“People who like her aren’t on the forums”
The forums are where you voice your opinions, good or bad. Be part of the discussion. If you feel strongly enough about something you’ll want to have a say in it.
The survey likely polled those that care about decisions in either direction. The ones that probably don’t visit the forums are indifferent.
The nature of taking a survey of any sample of a population is that it will never 100% represent the entire population. That’s stats, that’s reality. One of the better ways around it is to increase the size of your sample, and what the original survey did was aim for that. It wasn’t just a group of friends or a Mercy subreddit.

Edit:more info

2 Likes

The survey is very bias lol
A certain youtuber helped with that.

The thread was posted on reddit. :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

Don’t forget about non-response bias. People with strong feelings on the matter are more likely to respond than people who don’t have these feelings.