Officially requesting my mmr number in data dump

I did the data dump and did not see my mmr number. I saw my sr number. I saw how many times I logged in. I saw my recorded ip address.

No mmr number.

I’m officially requesting my mmr number.

2 Likes

you are not gonna get it, but if you do ping me

1 Like

Wait how did you do this? Is it just the copy of my data?

I recall hearing that your Overwatch MMR is not a nice simple single number sitting between some well-defined range of real numbers, but is actually a matrix of data, most of it consisting of your performance metrics of all sorts of for each hero across the entire roster along with other info about your account (geographic data, likely your system specs and/or performance capabilities, and apparently even non-competitive info like account age and irrelevant info like the number of cosmetics you own, etc), all of which may be used in consideration (consistently or not) for matching you with other players. A dump of this data would be likely not be in a human readable format and thus incomprehensible without context. Depending on how convoluted their internal algorithm is (i.e., parts likely auto generated, some it could be deprecated), it be might be completely impossible to explain much or even any of it in layman’s terms.

Your SR, on the other hand, is merely a projection of your MMR. It is obviously meant to look nice and be presentable for normal people to understand as a “skill” metric, even though it is a totally meaningless number that is disregarded entirely when matching you with other people or determining the quality of your games.

I could see this. It would be like asking for a vector of weightings in a neural network. Practically unexplainable.

That’s the problem with the entire system. It uses data to train classifiers (and all the issues that come with bad data classification). Then it uses all that baggage and locks you into lobbies where everyone’s mmr balances. That’s not how Chess/ELO works, and it’s a bad system.

There is no data-history in Chess, only your ELO, which is based on if you win against other people who win. Engines can score your play with “accuracy” and metrics based on how you parse the game-tree, but that’s not what competition is supposed to be about.

1 Like

where’d you hear it?

the last matchmaking post describes it plainly as a “numeric value” and the mmr distribution they showed was plotted as -6 to +6

I remember MMR being described (vaguely, of course) as a matrix of player performance metrics. It was either in a dev post from long ago or from another website that conducted an interview. Pretty sure it was talked about by Scott Mercer. Sorry, but I do not have the link. It is possible it may have even been from the old forums, which are long gone.

I tried looking for the src after your reply and they were just old forum 404s so you’re probably right about it being gone now.

The idea that mmr isn’t readable is out of character for them & their other posts about it (the remaining ones, at least, and the new one). Could it be perhaps that it’s misrepresented or was misworded?

i.e “mmr is a matrix of variables, not a number” → “the mmr number is calculated via a matrix of variables” → “you probably won’t make sense of the output given the inputs.”

Anyway, op is in luck because they’ve got a plottable and human readable number if the blogpost is to be believed. :sweat_smile:

Regardless of how complex they think multivariate statistics are to the community, imagine what us mathematicians and scientist would be able to do with this data!!!

MMR is a number, just like SR. The only reason they hide them along with match history and your overall win rate, is so they can more easily manipulate matches for maximum player engagement. The entire thing is a scam and anyone who can’t see that by now must be blind.

1 Like

I personally don’t believe it’s for manipulation, I sincerely believe Bliz thinks they are in the right here. Unfortunately, their belief of what is right is not cognizant of what the larger community believes. You have to look at it from a business perspective and I guarantee you that the developers of this game largely agree with us the players. Don’t blame this show on the Devs, they have made a great game! Not saying you are just focus your posts!

1 Like