Nothings Changed Shocker

how the heck are people still holding out hope? like yall are the kinda people who believes their GF when they say ‘i just slipped and fell on his…’

really at this point yall just deserve it

1 Like

The Twitch discussions can have disclaimers that things “may change or be different than they described.” You can also easily backtrack and say they were confused or meant something different when talking. You can’t backtrack an item you typed. That’s why text and documentation are more damning in court and it’s easier to be hit with a libel suit than it is slander.

Also speaking of something else that was thankfully given to us in that meeting and is great that it was observed. The 30% of matches are perfect line that Morgan gave, while his body language showed that there’s a MMR gap that perfect falls into. How big is that gap, the medium/okay gap, and the horrific/bad match gap? If 70% of matches were in a wide gap, then no wonder matches were/are(?) utterly crap in Comp. He even starts out with saying 50% of the matches are good and ending with “most matches are decent.” Which is a decent leg down from good. Why do you think they swapped someone else in to talk about matchmaking in the latest update?

Okay.

Blizzard wrote;

"There are no winner or loser queues in Overwatch [2]. Your current MMR is the only thing the matchmaker takes into consideration when forming your matches. The matchmaker doesn’t force a 50% win rate on anyone, nor do we favor certain players over others.

At its core, our matchmaker is a mathematical formula used to place similarly ranked players together in a match with the goal of creating as fair of games as possible."

There you have it.

2 days ago I went on a 14 game win streak (took 8 games to actually see the win streak modifier). Then yesterday I go on a 9 game loss streak before giving up.

What you would expect to see is games getting gradually harder before you hit a skill limit and then maybe go up or down a few games at a time depending on teams and how you’re playing.

What you actually get is a series of incredibly easy games where your team wins with very little effort, followed by a string of games where it’s almost impossible to win and your team plays like they’re drunk or it’s their first game of overwatch and they don’t know the map or heroes.

It’s a very odd pattern. And I don’t see how this would happen without some kind of rigging going on? Be that intentional, or a by product of matchmaking. Either way it’s not normal is it.

2 Likes

I think I’ve won a handful of matches since this season started, every other single one is a loss thanks to teammates who wont switch to counter, run in on their own or just don’t co-ordinate or work as a team.

1 Like

The wide match thing is a con as well. I queued solo and then chose to group up with 2 of the others from my team, and it said we were a wide group, despite being matched together as solo players before in what should have been a narrow match. Ridiculous.

4 Likes

Knowing that 70% of the matches are far from being a perfect MMR match has proven that the forcing of 50/50 isn’t accurate. In fact, it proves the necessity of constantly grinding the game to move up.

"Sometimes, if a player goes on a very long win/loss streak, it’s indicative that their internal rating is not well-calibrated. The best way to calibrate your rank is to continue playing competitively. The more data we have, the closer you’ll get to a rank that best represents your skill. However, there are times when players are going to get lucky with their win streaks or the opposite with loss streaks.

We’re investigating this and will be testing some changes to see if we can reduce this kind of streaking in the future."

The above statement kind of adds some iffiness to the ‘we are only looking at MMR when making matches’ statement. While the matchmaker is indeed looking at MMR to make matches, what data is being collected to drive the internal rating that drives your MMR, and what if your MMR is being purposefully overinflated/underinflated? That wouldn’t be a Winner/Loser queue, as the matchmaker isn’t doing it; it’s the internal rating driving the MMR. So while the “matchmaker” isn’t engagement-based, the MMR calculations happening behind the scene could be. Legalese!

Honestly, just make the Rank shown to match the MMR for the player and decrease the MMR gaps allowed for a match to be created below masters to be that perfect sweet spot for over 50% of matches, 30% is a joke for the “large” playerbase OW2 has.

Not reading all that, it’s very muddled.

You asked for something in writing, you got it. Now you must accept that you were incorrect in your previous musings on conspiratorial match making, yes?

“They” [Blizzard] categorically do NOT “throw wins at you” and the match maker in Overwatch 2 is explicitly not “engagement based” and is instead attempting to make fair matches. Can you repeat that just so we are all on page? Thanks.

How many games per day do you actually get a GG. Where games is even and very close.
Prolly 1-3 per day.
rest is all steamrolls.

1 Like

The matchmaker doesn’t manipulate the matches; it’s only looking at the MMR. That is said. I was incorrect. It doesn’t say jack about what the internal rating driving the MMR calculation is doing. The matchmaker is looking at a number, I get it. That’s correct. Take a bow.

I’m saying it isn’t the matchmaker that’s doing the manipulation, it’s the calculation adjusting the MMR. What is driving the data from the below quote?

How do we know the MMR isn’t doing the manipulation or the internal rating? The calculation is putting players too high to force a loss or too low to let you stomp. That can all happen while the statement “There are no winner or loser queues in Overwatch [2]. Your current MMR is the only thing the matchmaker takes into consideration when forming your matches.” is still true.

internal rating and mmr mean the same thing.

It does. Especially since season 9, when the 5 win/10 losses cards and any possible visual rank decay has been removed.

You don’t use different terms for the same item on a document. The article posted had to go by a content writer who would have fixed it if it was the same.

The matches seem fair during the calibration process, then once you’re done with that it goes to regular matchmaking, which is where streaks erroneously begin and the awful algorithms start to create horrible matches.

They don’t know what they’re doing.

They did there. It happens. They call it “internal matchmaking rating”, even.
internal, because, it is not directly visible to players.

And mmr can very well be called interchangeably as just “internal rating”, because it is not visible.

There is no other value than MMR that they use for matchmaking.
You’re just reading the article like devil reading the bible.

I’d be pretty disappointed if “the shocker” ever changed tbh. It’s a classic.

The pen or the gum???

I’d describe it more as a technique.