No more phone numbers

im also concerned about new players and how will they play if they use a prepaid services (definitely not concerned about myself)

edit: to jump off what EvilHomer3k posted… this actually goes to show that the phone requirement was never about removing smurfs. my guess is that they want to profit off of our info tied to our numbers.

2 Likes

Except for the smurfs and griefers that were already in overwatch 1. They get free reign once again. This only stops completely new smurfs and griefers. If you are a current smurf/griefer rejoice. You get to go on screwing up other peoples games for as long as you want.

5 Likes

Not really, because to smurf you need to create a new account

Did they play ow1 at all?

wow after getting that message before the game even launched and scaring the crap out of me they decide to remove it…

Well this is great news.

1 Like

nope. but now they wont be able to play because theyre poor.

im sensing a class action lawsuit now that theyre actively excluding people who cant afford postpaid services

2 Likes

They should’ve done this from the start for existing accounts to be honest… :slight_smile:

I appreciate they’re keeping the requirement for new accounts as I do think it’ll help reduce (not eliminate) smurfs/toxicity/etc… :slight_smile:

…on what grounds exactly? :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m glad to know the game really launches on October 7th.

2 Likes

how? all old smuirfs can play again now

3 Likes

i think that the phone requirement is a good thing as long as they include all phone services. its straight up discrimination to exclude people who could only afford cricket (for example)
especially in this economy

1 Like

Yeah…discrimination is more based on the grounds of race, age, sex, or disability. Requiring a phone number is hardly the grounds for a class action lol… :wink:

income discrimination is a thing, bruh. i dont know if its on a federal level but definitely here in CA

2 Likes

Not exactly. Existing players won’t have to do it, specifically, players who already merged their battle.net accounts. After reading it, new players, and people who didn’t merge their accounts, will still need to enter a phone number.

Is Blizzard asking for wage verification to play OW2? :thinking:

Its good i just hope the new players can get in without SMS old players can teach the new comers

2 Likes

I think accounts don’t need to be merged you just needed to connect a battlenet account to ow1

Great now do something about the greedy battlepass system and earning coins.

1 Like

yes by only allowing postpaid phone numbers. if you want me to explain how that is then here you go: prepaid services tend to be cheaper in comparison to postpaid. people who have dont have a lot of money (aka they are low income) tend to go for prepaid services hence why this new requirement is going to cut out poor to low income players
and to emphasizes: it is indeed discrimination by restricting these people from playing a “free” game
personally, ive seen a lot of complaints on the xbox community page for overwatch 2 of new people who never played the game (including a few off my own friends) that can’t play because they have prepaid services.

2 Likes