No mini event with malevento map

They explicitly said in the statement that lore and content was planned for September but is now delayed because it involves him.

So yeah, not necessarily Malevento related but that was our next scheduled content.

1 Like

They said a while back that they had lore planned for September, but it just so happens that McCree was a prominent figure in it… sounds highly convenient, if you ask me.

1 Like

No mini event no balance patch nothing…

1 Like

honestly disappointed with the lack of a challenge … but I would say that I am even more disappointed that OW continues to spam secrets of things that “will be updated later” rather than already visible details like what happened in Kanezaka.

more detail:

Like each map before it, Malevento is an experience packed with little details and hidden references–particularly for players looking forward to Overwatch 2. “Why is Talon setting up shop? Who is the mysterious statue in the courtyard?” teases Thomas. Talon’s base, secreted away inside a villa built by a contingent of workers who have since mysteriously disappeared, rests within Malevento like an ill omen, their plans for the town yet unknown.

2 Likes

See, this is where a lore article would’ve been nice to have (like with Kanezaka).

I still find it awfully suspect that the lore detail planned for September was delayed because it just so happened McCree was an integral part of it (the odds are just way too convenient for my liking).

2 Likes

Yes, by now I also think that there is something that has definitely gone wrong with this publication …

We know that Overweatch had a base in Rome, while Talon acts with a HQ in Venice. A regional middle ground between the two cities is the Tuscany region, which inspired Malevento. This makes me think of something like an investigation into what’s left of Talon in Italy after Vialli’s death (masquerade). I don’t exclude in the least that there must have been something about McCree investigating after he freed Echo in Reunion.

How is that suspect? The story arc involved McCree, McCree has to be renamed, therefore the story arc gets delayed while they incorporate the rename. The McCree lore wasn’t connected to Malevento at all - Malevento was originally planned to release in July, but got delayed due to the lawsuit.

Someone even mentioned this should’ve been a Reaper lore expansion: shotguns are littered across the map, developers said Reaper would be expanded upon, the map is a Talon base, if anything, Reaper fits the map more than McCree. Unless, of course, the planned wasn’t about the map, but if that were the case, then why?

2 Likes

Boring AF.
Nothing new. 1 month of PTR for nothing. Disappointment after disappointment.
At least we have Halloween soon but this is just… Awful

The “secret base” isn’t that good anyways it’s just a bunch of talon weapons on top of a wine storage and a talon flag.
What details do we get? A car blueprint and a computer with no info. Ha.
Reaaaaaaaally interesting lore there Blizzard Reaaaaaaaaally interesting.
Not even a freaking trash mini event with an epic skin. Not even that.
EACH. DAY. THEY. DISAPPOINT. ME. EVEN. MORE.
How’s that even possible???

1 Like

yes, this is absolutely true. But if it was all about Reaper, why delay this portion of lore “randomly” while we have the case of McCree’s name change? let’s remember what was said in this post:

explicitly speaks of McCree as a key point in an upcoming McCree story. Perhaps the blackwatch pupil would meet again with the mentor? Ipotetically, with a new short tale.

2 Likes

Just think it’s highly convenient that out of all of the 32+ characters in this franchise, the one to get further lore was also the one that recently has a controversy. To even announce it just seems too good of an out. Was no other story being made on to swap out? Do they just work on one story at a time for one hero at a time?

It just seems like the perfect storm to delay something with a easily explainable situation. It’s almost like when you tell your parents that you were going to do your chores, but your dog needs to go for a walk; strange odds.

2 Likes

No, I mean as in, this is purely about Reaper (no McCree).

For instance, say, Reaper is assigned to oversee development of a Talon base in the countryside of Italy. Once there, he reminiscence about how he once fought against Talon in this very base: realizing just how in the right Talon was, and how wrong Overwatch was.

3 Likes

So how is it that of all the heroes in the game, McCree was the one to have the most prominent role in the story? Especially with how the announcement of the delay came after the employee was outed, if I’m not mistaken?

I know he’s a popular character, but there are a lot of other heroes that could use story updates. Plus, he’s kind of already known about what he intends to do during the events of OW2 (wander around and right wrongs), so unless it was a story in past, in which case, why McCree out of the other Overwatch operatives?

I just feel like they found a way to delay something they didn’t have fully, and the lawsuit was the perfect cover for it.

1 Like

Not even to mention Reaper lore was even also confirmed in the Reddit ama months ago.
I mean the opportunity would haven been great.

1 Like

Which would make 10 times more sense since what happened with Reaper at Rialto.
But hey, let’s say it’s related to Cree and delay more content to this idiotic playerbase, they won’t be able to realize anyways, right?

I’m starting to get more and more disappointed with everything OW-related and it’s deppresing and energy-consuming. I just can’t help but love the game but lately it’s been IMPOSSIBLE to stay positive towards it.

At first I was looking forward OW2 and kinda excited, but now… It keeps getting worse and worse…

At the end of Reunion, McCree tells Echo he has “business” to take care of. At Blizzcon 2019, the devs said we would find out what that business was before OW2. It’s not a coincidence that McCree is getting a story arc - they told us he would get featured. The fact that he’s getting a name change is the coincidental part. If that wasn’t happening, we’d be getting that story now instead of later.

I’m kind of used to this type of thing, as there’s a certain series I watch/watched that’s been progressively going downhill since the writer for it has decided that all forms of criticism to the show are “hate speech” and “haters of the show”. Honestly, I’m just viewing it to see how it all ends.

1 Like

Fair enough, though I feel like they should’ve had a backup story. I find it weird that some people don’t make backup plans or contingencies for things related to media or other.

With the McCree event occurring, did they really not have a secondary story in place in the even such as this one?

Although, I still don’t understand the name change. I feel like a better course of action would’ve been to use McCree as a message that just because you have a name of someone awful, doesn’t make you awful (a nice message for the kids). Every individual has a legacy, and McCree’s should be the gunslinger redeemer of the American West. But I digress.

with Master Ian Games’ notes about Route 66, the theory that Malevento originally had some connection with McCree comes very close.

McCree’s name change> lore extension block> partially censored map.

and with the announcement on twitter that cited the arrival of a new narrative piece on the cowboy, everything finds a logical connection on the speculations between McCree and Malevento, before the scandal in August. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like