Pro thoughts on OW2

Credit to Baja for finding the summary of Super’s thoughts.

I think its good super shared it, I feel like through opinions of people who impact large portions of the community, they’ll balance it better. But what super said very much proves the CURRENT direction that blizzard devs hasnt fully shown us:

1. Massive healing reduction (sounds like mercy is useless that way lol)

2. Mei may (ha ha) lost her freeze, but instead deals very high consistent damage with discord. From what I infer it felt like all fights happen close cus of chaos.

3. Sombra is as op as we suspected (nice try those who say people just hating on ow2).

4. Shared bubbles seems to be all that changed about zarya with now total cd of 20 and not 18 (10 and 8), and as I personally suspected, zarya is bad in 5v5.

5. Dva and rein feeling ok is i guess… ok. In tdm aspect dva seems fitting and rein can do decent I guess.

6. Zen I thought is gonna be terrible with sombra assassinating him on cd, but Ig discords are still op.

7. Ana sleep cd being probably the only cc supports have left is 15 secs, I seriously dont see how supports are gonna self peel.

8. Brig bash is basically, idk, useless. It does extra dmg but so little that it doesnt even matter.

Overall seems like supports got MASSIVE nerfs and tanks didnt get nerfed heavily, because tanks are already heavily nerfed by the loss of the second tank. So tanks and supports are probably at half or less of their current power. Dps got huge buffs to the point the teams couldnt play if they were in play.

Offtanks and maintanks seem to have nowhere nearly changed enough to fit as a solo tank, as seen with zarya.

Overall what this shows us is not just the direction the CURRENT balance is taking (yes Im aware it can change, but thats what it is CURRENTLY) but also how early the balance state is, which is worrying considering they set a deadline for OWL, and doesnt seem like OWL players were happy.

This also shows that those who spam “but game isnt out yet” are still just as dumb, because even the balance patches we havent even seen yet are worse than what we already know, or perhaps go on pro player streams and tell them to just wait for the game to come out? Sounds about right.

Besides the early state, the massive tanking and healing nerfs (so much for feeling like a raid boss) and what seems to be like the playtesters are players who have no aim and think that amount of dps is fine, the worst part is that stuff feel WEIRD and CLUNKY as super said. Those are worse than feeling unbalanced, because those make the mechanics feel just wrong regardless of balance, like giving tracer a delay between blinks. And those are feelings that shouldnt be ina game with new engine that is supposed to make the game feel smoother and better.

30 Likes

What are they doing to Mercy if that healing debuff goes through?

Nobody picks Mercy to damage people down.
That goes against her core identity.

4 Likes

Yea that seems odd to me, knowing that mercy mains is a large portion of the game. I have no clue how u even give her a compensation because theres no way they’re buffing res (and res in playtest form of play seems to be bad too) and I dont know if they’ll buff damage boost.

Mercy might be good solely for the sake of high mobility but then if u take sombra and invis hack her shes essentially a sitting duck.

As someone who dislikes the design of mercy, I still think they’re absolutely gutting her in the 5v5 form of play

2 Likes

Swear to god with each new day, my fears get justified for feeling 5v5 is a mistake

42 Likes

I’ve got more for you, actually. Probably edit this into the O.P. as-well.

26 Likes

Supers thoughts scare me immensely. Sounds like the game is way off and not something that will likely be for me.

24 Likes

I will stick with Overwatch 1… Oh, wait…

17 Likes

If only that was an option, none of this would be a problem.

4 Likes

lmaoooooo

So you have to charge Winstons rail gun and do a measly 50 Damage?

lmaooooooo

This is going to flop so hard. Enjoy the long queues bois.

7 Likes
  • He thinks that the power level of the roles is “DPS >>>>>>>>>> healers >> tank” now which doesn’t feel good: “healers are literally weaker in OW 2 and there’s only one tank now, so as a tank you’re taking the brunt of the impact.”

Lmaooo we called it and people are saying “nuh uh no brain Tank/Support main, you just aren’t gud!” lmaoooooooo

At least a pro player confirmed it so we know this opinion will mean something.

23 Likes

Old Jeff once said he didn’t want mercy to be overpowered or underpowered. He wanted her to be balanced. That was a comforting thing to hear him say at the time. I really don’t need my hero being gutted to the point of being “useless” and wouldn’t wish that on anyone else’s main either.

Don’t throw the support heroes under the bus for the sake of DPS. All roles should have around equal impact.

14 Likes

Pros also said tanks also felt okay.

Zarya may be bad but only if they burned both bubbles at once, which is good, force the zarya to bubble and shatter it means she has to manage bubbles more importantly. Rein/Dva being okay also shoots people who say tanks are going to be dead in the water.

Over all, it confirms a lot of their design, more aggro style of playing.

2 Likes

Here’s how to fix the game and keep it 5v5:

Bring back CC, revert Mei’s left click pierce crap.

Add a new feature to the tank passive that makes cc stacking impossible, like a superarmor against CC for 1-2 seconds if hit by a cc ability.

McCree’s flashbang needs to have its CC reduced so you can just barely do 1 hs to make the right click combo impossible. Either that, or get rid of the movement increase passive just for him.

Zarya: Make bubble CD 14 seconds, but you get both charges back at once. That way once she expends both of her bubbles, she’s not just a crappy version of OW1 Zarya.

Give supports stronger defensive abilities, get rid of Mercy E rez, put rez on Valk only. Put Valk to 6-8 seconds and condense its power accordingly.

Make Lucio aura longer, rush is not going to busted with only 1 tank anyways.

Moira is getting reworked, no comment.

Zen is fine.

Bap is always going to suffer Mercy’s issue with having an ultimate as an e ability. Amp matrix might be garbage will how fast things move. Make matrix an e ability, and immortality field his ult.

Ana’s fine for now, keep her old sleep dart CD.

Brig needs a semi-rework. Keep bash cc. Make peeling her supports her niche.

Basically add back the necessary evils, it’s a hero shooter that should always require teamwork anyways. Don’t like that? Don’t buy the game. It’s not meant for you.

3 Likes

Called it. Some visual effects are ugly AF for example nano boost and mercy damage boost in comparison to our current visual effects which look way better.
I’m extremely worried for OW2 and based on Super’s thoughts we share a similar opinion:

2 Likes

You weren’t paying attention. OW2 Zarya is worse than OW1 Zarya in that build. Once she expels both bubbles she’s just OW1 Zarya but with 10 sec bubble cd, when before she had 8 sec for allies and 10 sec for herself.

They will have to make bubble cd 14 seconds and have it replenish both charges. Otherwise, Zarya will have to wait 20 seconds to become OW2 Zarya again. And she will use both bubbles at once to become high charge, if Zarya does not stay high charge then another tank would be better. So telling her to hodl her bubbles is not a viable strat.

1 Like

If they kept current healing to OW2, no one is going to die since all that healing is going to be poured into that tank.

It’s following a TF2 system, where you heal more outside of combat. This is just a similar version but applied to OW2.

No? Tanks have less damage mitigation and the dev’s increased the dps’s damage standard regardless. That is not a valid reason anymore since they increased damage.

2 Likes

And that’s kind of the point?

She has to manage her resource well now and I like it, ever since they remove the need for her to manage the energy beam, it made her have little weakness outside of range. Having bubble be an important resource means she has to choose when and where to bubble, it also means breaking bubble being good since it forces Zarya into a choice, either bubble her teammate again or keep that for herself in an emergency.

It maintain her strengths but allow more counter-play.

1 Like

But he “haven’t played OW2 yet”. He knows nothing…
… oh wait.

Imagine how bad the balance must be if even the pros thinks it is bad :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

13 Likes

Damage wasn’t increased, if anything, it was decreased because of one less tank (Turns out, tank does a lot of damage at the ranges they fight in.). If both supports pump current healing into a single tank, it’ll take a lot of resource to kill said tank since they’re missing a source of damage now for both side barring Ana anti-nade.