No Limits is the Answer to GOATS in OWL

I’d have to dig to find proof, but double picks were actively picked in pro play, yes

I’m hungry for links.

it won’t happen most likely due to problems of balance, Jeff and team (and I agree) that the move away from the original no-limits style was a very good maturation step, and now moving towards 2/2/2 is the next evolution.

1 Like

Old enough some video links are broken. But the jist of it from:

" Double Winstons, double Widowmakers and double McCrees are common sights in professional matches."

It’s entirely why they made the change. Degenerate comps were getting common. Some point holds on attack were just 6 Tracers, etc

4 Likes

then we’ll make a compromise, the dev team needs to come out with 5 more heroes that can kite like pharah, like…tomorrow :wink:

What!?
Philosophically? That’s not what that word means.
You think Solider 76 and McCree are functionally identical?

Have you played Overwatch before?

Additionally, 6 Pharah’s would not be able to push a pro 3-tank/3-support team off an objective. And they certainly couldn’t contest said objective against a “GOATS” style team.

Imagine double goats. Two Brigs, two Lucios, two Zens.

Actually, that would probably suck. Maybe two tanks, two Brigs, Lucio and Zen. That might be OP.

they wouldn’t be able to make it to the objective

Any competent 3/3 team would easily just walk to the point against 6 Pharah’s. They have plenty of tools to mitigate the long range damage. Once there, the Pharah-only team don’t have the survivability to contest a small space.

And that’s sorta exactly why the 3/3 comps are problematic.

You don’t break 3/3’s strengths by instituting ‘no limits’.

Role locked 2-2-2 is the way to go imo.

that means pharah would need a buff, because the natural enemy to GOATS is to kite

You’ve never seen the full Zarya comps back when it was allowed in comp or?
Or those multiple Lucio + multiple Winston comps?
Because no, it was FAR from balanced.

1 Like

how to achieve perfect hero balance, whether No Limits or otherwise

take all the games in the top 15% of the player pool (i.e. GM-Diamond)

every time a hero wins a game, subtract 1 hp from their overall HP
every time a hero looses a game, add 1 hp to their overall HP

(this can take into account time played, so if you win attack with soldier and defend with McCree, they’d each loose half of a health point. and it could all be rounded without much static.)

make a ranking board showing which heroes are winning the most and which have more HP than before and what not, kinda like a little stock and bonds chart.

the game will reach an equilibrium and be perfectly balanced. Although there will be periods where certain heroes gain and looses ground, it won’t last for long

You greatly overestimate No Limits. If you go in the arcade and play that mode, half the time there are no hero stacks on either team. And when there is, its just 2 dps heroes who happen to have the same main.

1 Like

Oh yea right. No limits in arcade DEFINITELY equals what professional lvl players do. They DEFINITELY are at the same SKILL LEVEL. ZERO difference.

until they have 6 heroes that function similar to pharah and 6 heroes that function similar to dva etc etc etc… they need to reimplement no limits

I could be totally wrong, but I think the idea is definitely worth entertaining.

Actually, yes. U play at your skill range. If ur a GM and you queue for No Limits, you’ll be matched with similarly skilled players

It’s the best arcade mode. Naturally, it’ll be the best competitive mode, too, right?

I don’t think this is true. I was under the assumption that QP and all arcade modes had no MMR whatsoever

The new goats would be 3 reinharts and 3 lucios

you’re acting like that’s a bad thing

I just want the best of the best, no rules to hold people back