No Big updates! 13 GB!

Ugh. Whatever dude.
A 13GB background download is hilarious. I remember having internet so slow that it was actually quicker for me to have someone else download a half life 1 patch and mail it to me.

understandable, have a nice day.

Sorry, but what are background updates? I’m not too tech savvy so can someone explain it to me please?

In this context, they probably mean the pre-patch download. It’s when they make the update downloadable a day or two before the update is actually applied to the game so that everyone can have it ready and downtime for everyone is minimized.

Go to Starbucks, they got better internet than you think.

proably cause something else is leeching your internet conection? any other pendigin updates running at the same time? took me 20 minutes or so with a 50 MB conection .

yeah it as 18GB on the console, started downloading as soon as I got home yesterday, it finished some time in the middle of the night. Looking forward to finally getting to play later today. Hopefully this does help with future patches as it was quite disappointing not being able to play at all yesterday.

there is a way to set up your xbox to auto download updates, i havent tried it in overwatch yet but when i have tried it in other games i dont have to do anything when i get home from work, i just go straight to play, its in the console settings.
i keep it on and off because it does consume more electricity but you can leave it on and never have to worry about updating.

1 Like

I’m still only at 80.4%, been going since last night :frowning:

Listen not to be rude but don’t they have internet speed requirements to play this game listed with the rest of the game requirements?

I get some ppl really want to play the game on bad internet because its all they have, but you’re gonna have to suck stuff like this up if you can’t upgrade to what’s required to run the game.

1 Like

Oh all games download this slow on xbox, they just don’t usually take 19.72GB

Wasn’t aware you guys were talking about xbox spesfically, my bad lol. PC user here, forget console version of this game exists haha

yeah, I have it set to auto download but sometimes the update sits in the ‘upcoming’ queue and doesn’t start until I actually try to load the game. oh well, that’s how it goes sometimes. :slight_smile:

Nope. The Xbox was the only thing downloading.

It took over 6 hours to finish the update. For some reason it stopped 5 times throughout and I had to manually continue it.

Supposedly.

I’ve had my Xbox set to Instant On and to automatically download updates since the day I got it, and it’s never auto-downloaded Overwatch updates.

Other games it auto downloads updates just fine, just not Overwatch, and I’ve been unable to ascertain why this is.

I’m on NBN, Australia’s fastest Internet. It’s more than fast enough. Yet for some reason Xbox downloads are always painfully slow.

Sounds like a Microsoft issue then, which wouldn’t surprise me companies like that slow internet downloads somehow - my switch (nintendo junkie sorry lol) downloads significantly slowly on the same internet that gives me 60 mbs download speed on my pc.

Part of the size is for future patches.

Fun fact

• They leaked new sprays (and player icons) which are for competitive 6v6. I think it’s for anniversary event

You know here I Russia ppl in city have 200 Mb fiber connection and pay 10$ for it. I live I a little town and surely have DSL. Speed is 8Mb and 10$ fee! The same internet provider! Where is the justice!?
But anyway thanks to him for stable ping and speed. 15 GB path downloaded for 4 hours.

No my friend you download just as much as stated. I feel sorry for console though. I played on PS4 and the connection to Sony servers was horribly slow. PC is way faster, i have a ralatively slower connection and mine took about 2hrs, i was glad!! Then i was late for work next morning :sob::sob: no, no drinks for me this weekend, gota farm some XP.

1 Like

Allowing for a background download sounds like a decent fix, but unless I’m unaware of it, I don’t think background downloading is available on consoles. Could be that I missed something, but this might only fix the problem for the PC part of the playerbase.

I get that it’s easier to just throw out all updates at once. But maybe limit updates for events to just the event content and absolutely necessary bugfixes. Like the OP suggested, maybe keep the Event Updates as small as possible. That way more people can actually play on release without first having to wait a long time for their download to finish.

Don’t get me wrong, bugfixes and other patches are important, but when such an exciting event as Archives is released, people tend to have other priorities.