No african-americans?

I just wanted to make this clear, I am not a SJW, I don’t think “Overwatch should be boycotted because we dont got any black cause like lol ecks dee gpkwead”, I don’t even think it’s bad, just something a little strange I noticed. I don’t think this is an issue in any way, shape, or form, I really don’t care.
Anyways,
Overwatch is all about being “diverse” and the like, and they have a lot of black characters, but none are African America?
Like, we have a couple of characters with African descent, we have Lucio and Baptiste from Latin America, It just seems sort of weird how the devs haven’t made an African-American hero or two, It gets more weird the more you think about it.

1 Like

Eh. No black characters period would stick out, but none from America doesn’t really bother me personally.

5 Likes

We don’t have any Asian-American or Indian-American characters either.

13 Likes

We already have 4 American heroes. One is POC, one is gay, one is “ambiguously brown” and one is a woman. That’s more rep than any other nation in the OW roster. We’re doing okay.

8 Likes

There are black people and there are already enough Americans so I don’t see why this should be high up on Blizzards to-do list!
That being said, I think Soujern could be African-American

2 Likes

Who is “ambiguously brown”? I assume Reyes is the POC, so that leaves McCree . . . who is very much a white man.

6 Likes

I kinda expected you to reply. Many people see McCree as not white. Is he just tan? Is he kinda dirty? Does he just have a darker complexion? We don’t know. We don’t know what his parents look like either.

That’s why he’s “ambiguously brown”. Could be white, could be not.

1 Like

Doomfist is African.

Why the fixation on the “American” part of it?

Sure.

Curious as to why you believe diversity only pertains to skin color, or that people of the same skin tone can’t still be diverse.

4 Likes

I guess Sojourn will be.

4 Likes

Well reaper’s name is Hispanic, so I don’t think it’s ambiguous for him.

2 Likes

That doesn’t look like a “darker complexion”.

7 Likes

I can’t post images, but a lot of his official art does, not to mention the in-game model and figurines.

Stop being so protective of white Mccree. It’s perfectly reasonable for people to headcanon him as not completely white. No, there is no “disputable canon evidence” that he is.

3 Likes

I can’t tell you, really, i just thought it was a bit strange

Look, I’m not really calling you an SJW. But In have to point out that if you didn’t really care you wouldn’t have posted this thread.

That being said…

It’s probably something as simple as Blizz and the devs simply having not thought of such a character yet. Most heroes represent their culture but African-American culture is American culture and there are already a few Americans.

There’s also the sad fact that Every. Single. New. Hero becomes the center of a nontroversy upon their release. All of these complaints are political and -by that merit- invalid. And African Americans have been the most forcibly politicized demographic throughout all of American history. There’s literally no way to create an African American character that isn’t going to analyzed under the political kaleidoscope and turned into outrage fuel.

An example: Does this character have a gun? Then they are a stereotypical gun toting punk. Do they not have a gun? Then they are black disarmament propaganda.

Maybe Blizz just doesn’t want to deal with it.

2 Likes

Sojourn sounded American when she spoke so when she joins our roster she will probably be our African American.

Also, given her callsign, she’s probably from the American South

1 Like

That is a very handsome man. No wonder Ashe is mad.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s how it works if all characters have guns.

I have to disagree with you. Sure, there might be a few people who will get outraged at every minor detail, but overall it wouldn’t be a problem.

We have heroes representing even more politicized minorities and… Most people feel like they’re okay, at least at this point.

Adding a black American would be easy. I guess Blizz decided that for once, black people can be represented by non-americans.

1 Like

…He’s clearly white. Having a mild tan shouldn’t give anyone any reason to think otherwise. Not to mention he’s a stereotypical western cowboy.

If he has anything else in him, it’s probably something he’d have to find out through Ancestry.com or some other heritage analyst. Aka, non-relevant.

5 Likes

A) Political outrage is based on ignoring facts, context, author intentions, and reality itself. It’s political.

B) There is group in American history that has ever been as politicized as African Americans. Not women. Not LGBTs. Not anyone. You can look at any time in American history, and you’ll see black people subjected to one form or other of targeted injustice. African Americans aren’t allowed to me themselves. And it’s because of politics.

C) The sad fact is that if Blizz adds an African American character they may well spend years dealing with the backlash. And it might not be contained to the internet. The outrage might even endanger Blizz employs. There’s literally no way to make this character that doesn’t come with this risk.

You’re absolutely right that most people wont be that way. But we aren’t talking about most people. We’re talking about politicals.

Tons of games and movies and cartoons and shows have Black Americans in various roles. Blizzard did not think “hmm, let’s not add a black American hero because there can be talk online from some people” and then proceed to add a black character in a DJ role and a black character as the most prominent villain who literally escapes from prison.

Clearly Blizz isn’t scared of some “”“politicals”"" talking smack about their game.

1 Like