New update that requires reinstall

kotaku.c**/overwatchs-next-big-patch-will-require-a-full-reinstall-1830345320

“The next major patch will have some pretty fundamental changes to the game client,” a Blizzard customer support rep said on Overwatch ’s forums. “The number of back-end changes we’re putting in is substantial enough that we can’t just patch over the current content efficiently. As a result, when the next patch comes out, the client will fully reinstall itself to handle these changes. We know that this isn’t ideal for people on metered connections, so hopefully this announcement helps you prepare for this coming update.”

That’s literally a sticky in this forum lol

That sounds like there are some significant changes to the code of the game.
Hopefully that will fix the weird Doomfist and Reinhardt bugs.

1 Like

yeah it’s literally been posted on the forums by the devs. Anyway pretty sure it’s to do with the replay system since they stated they want to make the ‘viewer’ a part of the original game not a separate tool. So that’s definitely it, it’s gonna go live when ashe goes live no doubt about it.

No one reads stickies

No one had to make another post either.

1 Like

Well, you don’t read stickies

1 Like

Hoping this is what all the radio silence was, them just working on making overwatches code less of a buggy mess.

Honestly if this fixes a ton of bugs and makes the code less of a spaghetti mess and prevents future bugs, all that time will have been worth it.

Yeah well people can comment about it here, you didn’t have to reread it if you already saw sticky

I’m just curious as to why there’s a 7GB background download if I’m apparently going to have to delete/reinstall the entire game for the next patch. Seems rather strange to me…

Also, Ashe patch… predictions on when?

I hope my settings (video, control, binds) are saved.

1 Like

That isn’t even the important part of the article, in it there’s an email from the devs saying that they’re doing loading and memory optimizations, and that having the PTR downloaded would speed up the reinstall.

i hope it is something that actually changes the game and not just a light engine update or something…

From my speculation, READING about it. The patch POTENTIALLY, has to deal with the Graphics issue this game is facing. There are many players having to open their BIOS and enable in the DRAM, something called 'XMP profile". If it wasn’t in operation, due to default BIOS settings on many boards. It caused frame-rate losse. :frowning:

I’m really excited to see these changes, wonder if they will fix some current problems a lot of people are experiencing.

Perhaps the game would run more easily on Switch huh…
And Jeff talked about Overwatch and the Switch recently, didn’t say yes, but that might help.

Well. For me, this is the perfect opportunity to uninstall and not return until i see overwatch being good enough to play again.

Before, I kind of felt bad about uninstalling it completely.

Thanks blizzard. Great opportunity to help me decide on things in a much more certain way.