New System against Leavers

By looking at the pc and account of pc and looking in the background. Would reduce account sharing to. It’s not that hard.
You guys actually violate German law already by searching through our PC’s for software, so.
It’s not that hard.
Also

Well the first question that comes to mind is why does this matter? Update your EULA to warn of a network level ban should you be caught playing the game for the explicit purpose of ruining everyone’s good time. It was my understanding you can terminate accounts for next to no reason anyway.

If you access a network service with malicious intent, you forfeit your ability to access said service. If you keep doing it you forfeit the ability to connect to it at all. Besides if two people are living together and one gets the other’s ability to access OW suspended that’ll fix your problem right there after then sit down for a nice chat. I don’t have a roommate but if I did and he went on like that we’d be having a bit of a row.

As far as identifying two users on the same network, IDK what you have access to but there are other identifiers you can use to make this decision. hostname, nic mac etc. Sure the majority of it is not super difficult to fake but it would reduce the amount of people trolling on multiple accounts.

Why can’t the battle.net launcher catch the game crashing and relaunch immediately?

Usually with most game crashes they will either affect your entire computer. Now the launcher will sometimes be able to document the crash and send a report to Blizzard (which they can use to look up specific issues that may have caused that crash), but in most cases, you should try to stop playing and work to resolve the issue so that any chance of damage (to software or hardware) is prevented.

When the game only crashes (eg. that “Renderer has disappeared” error - something like that) back to the launcher, the launcher can tell when the process has halted. Why can’t it catch those error messages, and optionally relaunch the game into the previous match? Not all crashes are catastrophic, they can be as trivial as a flipped bit in RAM.

Well its only a single click to relaunch the game and you have the chance to rejoin assuming you are within a certain window of the match (see return rules below). Realistically, it needs to be the user to decide in that moment to relaunch (if it means saving a Competitive match in progress) or if it is better to stop and investigate.

Match Return Rules for Competitive Play
Rejoining a game without penalty is only possible during certain phases of the game and within a timely manner. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.

Otherwise, you can only rejoin any-time after one-minute of match time has passed up until the match completes. However you only have two minutes to do so without penalty. If you rejoin a match after two-minutes, you will still automatically be marked with a loss an be penalized with a -50 SR cut and a ten-minute suspension. This rule ensures that no one can abusive the leaver system by attempting to return to a match after deliberately leaving in order to avoid such penalties. Furthermore leaving three or more times in a single match will result in an automatic penalty. If you fail to return to a match by the time it ends normally (regardless of match result) you will be penalized.

That doesn’t answer the question - in this instance, where the launcher will definitively not only be able to tell that the “leaving” is absolutely not at the behest of the player, but report back to Blizzard that “don’t cancel the match they’re coming back in”? Whenever I’ve seen that crash error I mentioned previously, it’s when the character selection screen loads up. FPS bombs out and the game crashes after a few seconds, then you can relaunch and everything is fine. Feels like a race condition gets triggered somehow. I’ve been able to get back in to these matches before that 10 second timer counts down (yes, I know it’s not a “get back in here before time runs out” timer but why isn’t it??), but they get cancelled anyway and I get the SR loss. Even though I rejoined before the game starts.

Because the BattleNet launcher and the Overwatch Game Client are two different pieces of software. BattleNet handles the file management, licenses, and player network. Overwatch.exe is the game itself and while the two communicate in some ways, what you are asking for is not really possible.

Again see my Leaver Return rules above. That ten-second countdown is not meant for the person who left in the pre-game, it is a warning to the other players so that they don’t freak out when they are kicked out of the match when it cancels.

Sure it is, that’s exactly and specifically what exit codes do. It’s also along the same lines of how the launcher can tell the game is running in the first place.

I know. Can you please at least read what I said?

Sorry while that concept is a good idea, I have been told this will never be done because it would open a window for abuse (by forcing such errors). Same thing as unplugging the internet.

I am going to conclude by saying that if you are frequently crashing or disconnecting. You have no business playing Competitive at that time. Instead, working to troubleshoot and resolve your issue should be the first priority. Blizzard penalizes technical malfunctions to help enforce this philosophy.

A lot of people don’t care much. We have so many games to play, that not being able to play this one for a week or a month literally doesn’t matter.

All this will do is laughably increase queue times for everyone else… and guess who’s going to be on the forums to complain about that?

Don’t think you’re thought this through, honestly.

I’ve thought it though.

I don’t want trolls in my game. If this increases queue times so be it.

My fun matters more than yours. I don’t even know you. You don’t matter to me… at all, really. You are pixels and a waveform.

Not wanting to stay in an unfun match doesn’t make me a troll. It means I value my time a lot more than you value yours. I’m not getting paid to play this game, so don’t expect me to abuse myself so that you can feel better about not having a leaver on your team.

the leaver system they have now is almost perfect. you just need to play more and more and more games so everything averages out

Broken Promise of a fair match?

90% of games are one sided stomps anyway.

And so what if the non-leaver team gets cheated feels cheated out of a win? What about the team losing due to a leaver? I know that they feel cheated.

Private profile?

I’m guessing that you’re low ELO? Full of leavers that give up after the going gets tough. They’ve never heard of reverse sweeps, or just 1 or 2 hero changes utterly changing the course of a match.

Was very disappointed to have a leaver (Enemy at least) in a 2.2k comp match tonight. I had thought that SR was past all the salty premature leavers.

Edit: I used to leave quickplay matches when my team mates started throwing by just feeding 1v6 all game and not bothering with the pretence of teamwork (Even my GM friend just mucks about and doesn’t bother grouping up when in qp). But since apparently low endorsement means that you get more scumbags in your team in comp I need to just throw by picking a Tracer or other hero I’m terrible with until the match mercifully ends.

Not a good argument in my eyes…

I think the solution is fairly simple. Make a separate queue for reported throwers, recurrent leavers, and trolls (based on actioned reports, not mass reporting). Let them all play together. Once you drop into leaver hell, you have to stay there and win ten games without leaving to get out. lol.

Does the game at least compensate you via SR gains and losses being adjusted due to leavers?

nope, it doesnt, really bad for the game