New System against Leavers

After i just nearly smashed my pc for losing
two games because i had leavers in my team and you cant really do anything apart from losing, I thought a new system for this would be really good.
My idea is to still penalize leavers, but players searching for a game could be thrown in to fill the gap. This players wouldnt receive any SR loss.
Let me see what you think about this.

5 Likes

Might work.

But if you’re filling, why leave spawn?

1 Like

It doesnt make sense, because If i join a game, even if i dont lose elo, I waste my time. The chances of my team winning will still be heavily lowered, and chances are I dont play the same role as the person who left. Filling in for someone doesnt make sense, because in the end, it just wastes another persons time, and messes up que times, which sometimes can be very long.

1 Like

So you have the chance of getting additional SR.
And having 5 players or 5 and a 6th who maybe plays with you, is a huge difference.

1 Like

True, but I suppose it could be abused (like everything else).

I guess if you don’t leave spawn, you could get reported.

1 Like

But like I said, the actual chances of winning after losing a member for X amount of minutes puts you at a severe disadvantage even with another player. The amount of times you lose with a subbed in player, vs wins, still isnt worth the time I will be wasting

Im sorry, but who is wasting time?

I dunno. I’ve filled and helped win a number of times.

But that’s because I’m a try-hard.

The player joining. Say I was in que for 4 minutes. Joined a game midway, and more likely than not, lost the game even though I wasnt there for the begining portion of the game. It doesnt matter if I didnt lose elo, I wasted my time

It should almost just reset the match and fill the spots.
with no sr loss across the board.

People leave for many reasons . Sometimes it’s not their fault .

Although this could also be bad at times for sure there’d be streaks.

Id like to see the system add a Hard AI 76 to replace a leaver. That’s better than nothing.

They should just punish leaving properly. The system needs to make concessions for the fact that people will disconnect for reasons out of their control sometimes so too much harshness immediately must be avoided.

• First offense = 10 minute ban. 24 hour timer starts, if another offense occurs during the timer you move to the next step
  • Second offense = 30minute ban, 24 hour timer starts
  • Third offense = 5 hour ban, 72 hour timer starts. At this point another mechanic kicks in, if the leaving results in your team losing the leaver receives 100% of the SR loss that every member would have gotten applied to their account. This mechanic applies to the third offense and anything beyond.
  • Fourth offense = 2 day ban, 86 hour timer starts
  • Fifth offense = 1 week ban
  • Upon return you must not leave another comp game within a full week of play or you’re gone for a month. If you screw this up you’re gone for a year. I don’t think this is too much to expect if you’re serious about a competitive environment.

*Where the probation timers are concerned 24 hours is considered 10 matches, whichever takes the longest shall be the measure used. So if you’ve a 24 hour timer and you simply avoid playing the game, you’re still on probation for 10 games.

Gone means gone, IP, account, host name, MAC address of your NIC. all of it banned.

This would also mean Blizzard would need to step it up and differentiate between their software crashing and someone leaving.

Would be abused af tho.

But first, get working AIs for ALL the characters.

1 Like

But… if they lost connection they cant come back

Overwatch DELIBERATELY does NOT backfill Competitive Matches. This is because a Competitive Match is a more serious match between two teams. When the matchmaker forms a match among the 12 players, that is the game’s promise that the match is as balanced (by the numbers) as it can be among those two teams. By adding in a player to replace a leaver, that original promise of a balanced match is now broken. Now a leaver does impact the odds of winning the match for that team, but that is something that the game DOES NOT control. Backfilling is a controlled change.

Backfilling is not a big deal in casual modes and helps keep those matches running smoothly. However in Competitive, if a team with that had a leaver was filled with a backfilled player, and somehow won the match, the opposite team would feel cheated out of what was originally a fair pairing at the start of the match.

Skill rating is NOT a currency like you are making it out to be, it is a rating.

My point is still the same for an AI backfill technically. That being said, AI is more of a liablity and would more likely feed ult charge to the opponents at the higher ranks, but at the lower ranks, a AI backfill will disrupt the fair match experience.

Leavers and disconnecting players are treated equally. This is because there is no way to tell the difference between the two.

The current competitive ban system is more strict than what you propose. It starts at a 10 minute suspension and increases dramatically with repeated offenses. However in order to get back into good standing, you need to play full games of Competitive (regardless of how frequent you play). It takes as little as six leaver violations to trigger a season ban and three season bans results in a permanent ban.

This is not likely to happen due to legal concerns and other factors.

It’s a difficult one really, it’s hard to more hardhly punish those that actually deliberately leave without punishing those who might have just had a bad disconnect, for example, I don’t disconnect often, but on the occasions it does happen, my internet can be down for 5 minutes or more.

Part of the problem is what people have been saying for ages, it’s alt accounts. Leavers can often just switch accounts in order to get around timers. so the punishment for leaving won’t affect them nearly as much as an unfortunate disconnecting person with just one account.

The only way to get around this particular problem is to have “account grouping”, where anyone who has multiple accounts must link them, so if they misbehave on one account, it affects ALL of their accounts, and if they try to be sneaky by not linking accounts, then get found out, that punishment is automatically doubled for all of their accounts.

One thing I’ve learned from years of online gaming is, if there’s a way to misbehave, people will do it, particularly if they can get away with parts of it.

In summary, the punishment system for Leavers, and the other players it affects does need a bit of tweaking, but it needs to be carefully done. I would like to see those that didn’t leave get some sort of reduced/eliminated SR loss, or maybe even double SR gained for the next match they won if they had lost a match with a leaver in. As for backfills? no, it’s already tiresome in QP/Arcade backfilling into matches that are basically lost, if only for the time wasted.

How can this realistically be enforced? I see no practical means of doing this.

As I said later on in the post, it would have to be carefully thought-out and planned, how many people get timed out for leaving a match and simply switch to another? Alt accounts make it far too easy to “be bad” because the main account(s) of that person suffers no consequences, change that part, and you at least start the process of reducing bad behaviour from alt accounts.

My idea may not be a perfect one, and it would require a degree of complaince from players, but something proper needs to be done, because otherwise more and more of the player base is going to quit over time because they get sick of Leavers and other forms of bad behaviour.

I appreciate the response.

I’ve been in software development for many moons. I don’t do game development so I don’t mean to speak like an expert in a field I am not.

But it’s weird to hear your client cannot discern the difference between internet dropping and something like a server error kicking you to main screen with some non descript server error. Or the client throwing an exception and crashing to desktop.

Then it simply is not more punitive. Most people nearly immediately throw it back in your face that they don’t care about your reporting system or ban system because they have 17 different accounts accumulated during various sales.