New Sombra is Unwelcome, Explained

Hey! I’m one of those Sombra mains who disapproves her current changes on PTR. Since there are not that many Sombra mains around and it could be hard to understand to someone who doesn’t play Sombra as to what our issue is with the changes made to her on the PTR, I thought I will try to explain then as clearly as possible so our opinions can be understood better.

So the current changes done on PTR are as follows:

Stealth

• Sombra’s stealth is now infinite

• Sombra can’t contest cap points anymore

• Detection range increased from 2 to 4 meters

• Stealth movement speed bonus reduced to 50% from 75%

Translocator

• Translocator is now infinite

• It is destructible by Sombra

• It has 5 hp

• UNDOCUMENTED: It has a 20m wide high pitched loud beeping noise

For someone who doesn’t play that much Sombra, it could come off as a buff, however there are some fundamental problems with these changes. Let me explain.

The stealth by itself wouldn’t be bad, but the downsides of it cripples it greatly.

• The 75% movement speed bonus allowed Sombra to jump over gaps and made her able to reach locations, only a handful of other heroes are able to reach. On top of that, the slower running speed makes is harder for Sombra to catch up to enemies, get away from conflict and get into position to initiate.

• As you can see, it is similar to what Soldiers have with their Helix jumps, while it is not a core gameplay feature, it is something that helps Sombra show up from unpredictable locations.*

• The increased detect range is quite big on the PTR. As a reference, Winston’s bubble is 5m in radius whereas the new Sombra detect is 4m. This makes it harder for Sombra to get around the enemy without alerting them, or forces her to use her Translocator, which is noticeable considering the added sound and visual effects when Translocator is used.

• The removal of contesting, while understandable with the infinite aspect of the PTR stealth, is something that was a great selling point for Sombra on live. She was able to stall the objective for 5+ seconds just like Mei can hold out for quite a long time by walling herself off or using Cryostasis on the point. I will get back to this later.

The Translocator has similar issues when it comes to gameplay mechanics.

• The destructibility of the Translocator by Sombra was meant to be a buff to it, unfortunately the execution of this is not well thought out. To cancel your Translocator, you need to turn towards your Translocator, aim at it and press F. The issue is, if Sombra wants to use her Translocator aggressively, or to catch up to someone, maybe to jump through gaps, she needs to cancel it, but doing so will break the flow of the character. During a team fights, where every seconds counts, executing such a maneuver can cost the elimination of the particular key target. More on this later.

• The fact that the enemy can destroy the Translocator by itself wouldn’t be that big of an issue, however coupled with the 20m wide beeping sound, it is hard or nearly impossible, to place it behind the enemy lines, if Sombra set up a nest due to how easy it is to locate, or to use it aggressively in fights, because as soon as the translocator lands on the ground, 5 damage destroys it and considering how much splash damage, bullets, rockets and everything can be flying around at the same time, it can be very easy to take out the translocator.

The changes, however allow Sombra to pick and chose between targets more freely while staying in stealth as well as allowing her to translocator back behind her teammates if necessary.

However the issue is, Sombra players have been playing with timers ever since her release 1.5 years ago. Cooldown management is a core element of Sombra’s gameplay and most of us already got accustomed to it.

• Another issue is what the real weakness Sombra has on live, and that the PTR changes does not help her in those areas, what’s more, the encourage a playstyle that makes these issues worse.

Sombra’s issue on live is her lack of uptime and viability during team fights. Due to her last nerf (Hack goes on a 2 sec cooldown upon being interrupted) makes the use of her Hack very risky and hard to execute when chip damage and splash damage is all over the place.

Her PTR Translocator encourages Sombra players to place her Translocator in secure, abandoned places, which are most often far, far away from the actual fight, further lowering her uptime in combat.

Sombra’s play stlye and role are generally agreed upon being backline harassment, however during team fights, her role transforms into finisher, in other words, getting close to a wounded enemies who took shelter or fleeing and finishing them off. Sombra could more easily do this on Live, as the Stealth speed boost allowed her to close a set distance in a very short time, or use her Translocator to close the gap if needed.

On the PTR, if Sombra decides to participate in the team fights, it’s much harder for her to catch up to enemies. She can, however use her translocator to catch up to them more often due to the ability to cancel it, but it comes with the extra steps she needs to take, which again, breaks the flow of the game. It is also easy to forget that Sombra has set up a translocator, as there are no other indicators about it, than her Translocator icon is Orange instead of White on the bottom right side of the screen. So in the heat of the moment, if Sombra decides to use her Translocator, she either has to completely lose visual on the enemy to cancel it, or if she forgot that she had one set up, she disengages from the combat by accident. Similarly, when the Translocator is destroyed by the enemy, there are no indicators to it on the PTR other than a surprisingly silent “Damnit” by Sombra.

Because of this, Sombra on the PTR has to decide whether engage in the team fight, or let her team fight a 5v6 battle but make sure that she will be able to catch up to the enemy if necessary. For a hero that lacks uptime in team fights, this makes matters worse.

The PTR Stealth changes also encourage a more passive playstyle by the fact that Sombra is forced to stay further away from the enemy. We could argue that she doesn’t need to always be in stealth, which is true, however, regardless of that she can’t engage in a combat from a distance that makes an ambush ideal either way. 4+ meters means that her gun won’t be able to deal as much damage as necessary due to the spread, as it would from 2 meters, if that enemy is a Widowmaker or any Supports, she won’t have the same ambush factor as she previously had, because the extra distance means less damage for her. She could hack her target, however that only does so much after a certain rank where people are starting to group up and communicate. As the ranks get higher, the more prominent it is to dispatch the enemy as fast as possible before reinforcements come.

The changes on PTR allowed Sombra to be picked up by others as well however. It is marginally easier to play Sombra for people who never played her before. While this would not be a problem, the level of accessibility came with a quite big skill celling nerf to her and a quite big flow of gameplay break.

Lastly, something which can’t be really compared only experienced… Sombra feels boring on PTR. Her entire style and flow feels sluggish, he was one of the most intensely played heroes on Live and on the PTR she feels like she is in slow mo, the pace of her gameplay is apathetic. Keep in mind though, that this is a personal opinion, however I’ve seen people saying the same thing, to which I agree.

I really hope this helped to some to see why Sombra players are so desperate and displeased about these changes. Thanks for reading!

TL:DR: Sombra’s changes on the PTR makes her more passive while simultaneously lowering the skill cap to make her more accessible to non-Sombra players

80 Likes

Love your post. Hope it gets the attraction it deserves

9 Likes

To me these changes make her easier to throw with, you could just be stealth in the whole game while telling your team “don’t worry guys just waiting for the perfect moment!”

10 Likes

I actually like the changes, save for the excessive TL sound range and the detection radius.

Reduce the detection radius to 2.2-2.5m, if perma Stealth is still a crutch, change it to a meter based ability like D’Va that depletes when Sombra activates/is moving to get the best of both worlds.

Give TL 50-75 health with 50/66% shields, and instead of turning to cancel make it a 1-3 second hold to cancel. Give it invisibility with a 4m detection radius and sound.

2 Likes

I asked on your reddit thread, and someone said she still uncloaks from damage?
So I don’t see how Blizz can claim to have made her “more of an infiltrator . . . in complete control over when she reveals herself” while ignoring the fact that in addition to the awful translocator changes, you still uncloak if someone sneezes on you from across the map.

Sombra players have been saying from the start she needs a damage threshold for uncloaking and/or hacking for her to be a better infiltrator, and this is the route they take? Absolutely hilarious.

2 Likes

I agree with OP I hope Blizzard goes back to the drawing board. She needs minor Buffs not sweeping changes. I saw someone say a damage threshold for hack or stealth and I really like that idea. It gives us more control over her abilities without the need to nerf the parts of her kit that feel strong.

3 Likes

You have to consider, though, that new routes will be open now via invisibility because there are a lot of spaces you couldn’t cover with 6 seconds of invisibility. Infinite +50% is much better than 6-second +75%. You don’t have to worry about detection radius as much when you’re not forced by time to move through small hallways past enemies. Your engagements will no longer be limited by CD windows, which can’t realistically be coordinated with the rest of your team.

I don´t mind the 2 or 3 buffs. These don´t change the way we Sombra mains play her. In and out without a sound. It´s not an improvement nor a nerf. However, I do mind the 5 nerfs she got since it makes what she does so much harder and even less rewarding. Without these drawbacks I guess nobody would be so vocal about this version of her

1 Like

Being a scout has no place in this game. It’s almost as bad as when they wanted her as a scavenger.

6 Likes

Sombra can cover just about 60 meters with +75% move speed, which is long enough to clear almost any open space in the game. I mean, where are you going that you’re exposed for more than 60 meters of open space?

I’m thinking about areas with huge sightlines like Hollywood B or Route 66 A, and you can easily cross those gaps with time to spare on live.

To clarify a little, think about it this way:

• Skill ceiling goes down, because you don’t need to think about places to drop stealth and plan your next attack run
  • Skill ceiling goes down, because you can’t do cool tech like stealth jumps over certain gaps anymore
  • Skill floor stays the same, because buffing stealth doesn’t change her terrible mid-combat contributions
  • Skill floor stays the same, because infinite stealth doesn’t make her more effective for the same amount of input

Like, compare fan the bow versus scatter. Fan the bow drastically lowered the skill floor for Hanzo, because even if you’re a horrible shot you can land at least some of the arrows–if you missed scatter, you were done for. Bad Sombras won’t benefit from infinite stealth, but good ones suffer because of the nerfs associated with infinite stealth.

4 Likes

Marvelous how dev-free are these threads, isn’t it?

1 Like

I’d say the skill ceiling is higher now because Sombra can now guarantee that she’ll be where she wants to be while stealthed and when she wants to break it to engage. Even the best Sombras in the world had to work around small CD windows and hope their team could engage at the same time. All it did was give her less options.
More options = more potential for skill. She’ll also have to be a little more thoughtful about how she gets there instead of just running in a straight line because of the large detection radius.

Huh, yeah, he has a really weird opinion. The floor goes down, obviously and the ceiling is raised for the reasons you stated. I believe he is perceiving bad Sombra as good Sombra that are not contributing or something, when in reality bad Sombra are definitely going to benefit from not having to optimize everything.

1 Like

Well it’s the weekend, don’t forget that. If I were a developer, the last thing I would do is working 24/7, including responding on threads.

It is fine to me, if there is someone at Blizz who collects these thread and shows them the devs.

I am, in fact, defining “bad Sombra” as a Sombra that isn’t securing kills or getting key hacks/picks. Being in stealth longer than absolutely necessary doesn’t make Sombra better at contributing via her utility or LMB, it just makes her a spectator until she decides to act.

Bad Sombras won’t understand the tempo required to avoid falling into the trap of not staying in stealth too long, because they’re bad. Will they ever learn to pick up the pace, given they have a safety net of never having to come out of stealth? How can they be guided into increasing their tempo when there’s no indicators in the game that playing super passively is the wrong way to play Sombra?

edit: I would be for the infinite stealth if stealth had a faster in/out transition and you could use it to style on people, like the cloak and dagger in TF2. It has so many drawbacks thanks to its infinite duration that it’s not worth using that way, though.

3 Likes

That is not the skill celling though, that is the skill floor AKA accessibility to the Hero. Sombra players who already learned how to manage her cooldowns well could already do it, it is just now made easier for others who didn’t have the time or did not want to invest that much into Sombra.

Her skill celling lowered because many of her strategic aspetcts are gone on the PTR, let it be translocator baiting, gap-jumping or translocator placement.

It looks like we fundamentally disagree on what takes skill then. For me, having less options gives you less of an opportunity to use any skill. You could only be as good as the limitations allowed you to be.

Being competent despite limitations is a type of skill, but infinite windows in which to use tools gives Sombra complete control over her kit, which leaves only the skill she needs to use them to their fullest.

Yeah, knowing how best to use a six-second stealth takes some skill, but knowing how best to use infinite stealth takes much, much more in my opinion. Anybody can be good for 6 seconds. Let’s see how many Sombras use their time in the best ways they can now. It’s a lower skill floor, but a much higher skill ceiling.

Again, if stealth was something you could toggle on and off to reposition quickly mid-fight, like Soldier’s sprint, I wouldn’t be arguing with you right now. It would be a flat buff to a hero that’s extremely weak right now, and something that would make her much more difficult to play around in the same way a good Tracer becomes extremely difficult to deal with casually.

The problem is that stealth is currently designed as a 100% pre-fight positioning tool, and the changes make it much more difficult to use in that way between the increased detection radius and the slower movement speed.

If you’ve set up shop so far ahead of your team that you need to sit in stealth for more than 6 seconds, you should have just taken the reset with the rest of your team because it’s going to be 20+ seconds before they get back into position. If you’re just standing around you’re going to get discovered, killed, or forced out because the enemy team has nothing to do except look for you.

“But you can stand on high ground or in places nobody will look!” Why do you need to be invisible, then? Nobody is going to look for you anyway…

1 Like

Still, it didn’t stop them from answering in few threads.
It’s usually like that. No matter if there’s a weekend or not.

True but still… let’s just hope that they haven’t responded yet because they will start brainstroming tomorrow.