New Sombra is a meme

Picture this. We’re on Blizzard World on attack, I’m healing a tank, and in the middle of my reload cycle:

“Hacked”

I have no cooldowns. I’m reloading, so she gets a few free shots on me. She kills me, but without only 3 bars of health left. Just her and me. The second time she hacked our S76 right as he ulted, got the nano, and he just ignored her and cleared the point. I slept her, hit her with a biotic, and then she translocated back to her health back. It was the mega right next to the point. Apparently, translocate doesn’t cleanse the biotic effect so she got no healing and I ended her.

Think about that for just a moment. She could barely fight a support with no cooldowns, in the middle of a reload cycle, and with her back turned. Was shrugged off by an ulting dps and then killed by that same support when the cooldowns were ready. How sad is that? What happens to that S76 if he turned his back to a Tracer or a Genji? How often do Tracers lose duals to support of equal skill? We’re match made, remember.

I guess she was chastised by getting killed, so when we started pushing she just kept spamming her hello voice lines by us.

“Hey”

“Hola”

“Hey, dude”

This isn’t the first time I’ve played against new Sombra, so I didn’t even bother attempting to deal with her. Neither did our D.Va who flew off to find amusement elsewhere. I just sat on the point while her team lost two 5v6s. We got to second point, without stopping once with her just spamming “hello”. These new Sombras always do that. They wait for their teams to win 5v6 and then destealth and start contributing to a 5v4 or 5v3. Then they [redacted] themselves [redacted] by sending messages to the enemy support “Sombra God”. No, you were carried. Yes I’m salty and no, not about this game. When I get spawned by Genjis or Tracers I feel forced to swap. When I get harassed by Sombra, it’s always feels like luck or she’s turning a dual into a 1v2. And if their team isn’t grossly superior to the enemy, they do nothing but lose duals to Zens and Anas.

She finally ulted less than 15 meters from the final point, but it didn’t matter as her team was already trickling in and we won. One of the faster games I’ve played once we started moving the payload.

I use to play a lot of Sombra. I loved her playstyle. It was always a race. A race to the backline before you lost stealth. A race to get a pick before your translocater time was up. A race to build your EMP. But now? She’s a ghost.

And Your Overwatch is talking about this OP Sombra meta. Where is it? Sombra has a 47% winrate and a .7% pickrate. Like an awful version of new Symmetra and new Symmetra is awful. Her winrate becomes positive at Diamond like Widowmaker, but unlike Widowmaker she doesn’t have a 4% pick rate, but rather the same .7%.

“But, but, contenders!”

You mean a bunch of people who live together and play together for hours a day multiple days a week can find a way to gain advantage from extra information. Shocker!

THAT. ISN’T. LADDER. If the enemy has a Sombra, we win. If my team has a Sombra, we lose. Why rework a character into a throw pick for anyone who doesn’t play the game like it’s a job?

But hey, you can spam voice lines at their support.

Just awful. Just awful.

Oh? I can’t use Overbuff even though half of the player base is having fits about private profiles? Ok, so in your games, where is this OP Sombra? And I don’t want to hear it from someone who played her for 30 minutes and got carried. Where is she? Hmm? She’s not in my games. Fitzy and Danteh aren’t playing her. I’ve never seen more variety in Fitzy picks than I have now.

“But, but contenders…”. Ruined my favorite character. At least Ana’s good now and the didn’t nerf Zen. smh. I need to go wash this NaCl out my mouth.

42 Likes

They’ve even stopped using her in contenders. Even the top pros who play together every day couldn’t manage to make her be effective enough to warrant a spot on their teams.

17 Likes

I 100% admit to having to both hack a Tracer, and then EMP her and the health pack near us so I could actually kill her like maybe 10 minutes ago.

It’s fun being at a disadvantage when you have the advantage.

10 Likes

From Sombra’s side of things, it also feels like luck!
Sometimes a perfect track gets half hits. Sometimes a poor track is a perfect half-mag kill. I hate the inconsistency of Sombra’s gun.

I play Sombra because I love the character, not because she’s a good choice.

13 Likes

Literally everything you’re describing would be true for old Sombra as well, except old Sombra didn’t have the option to wait until you blew your cooldowns.

Speaking of, what kind of Sombra tries to 1v1 an Ana who has her cooldowns up without at least Hacking first?

Also also, why do people still think Sombra is an assassin? Plenty of DPS have trouble dueling a skilled Ana, and Sombra isn’t even designed to do that.

True, Sombra has some real problems, but this thread doesn’t talk about them.

12 Likes

Sombra’s biggest problem to me is that follow up is necessary and hard to take advantage of. So, she’s not easy to play and not easy to play with her. you need to depend on people being used to playing with her in order to get value and that’s a tall order.

Make the follow up at least easier for your teammates. I’d kill for a discord orb style visual

3 Likes

<- this sombra
The hack gives the healer warning and any team with half a neuron amongst themselves will peel in the time it takes for hack to complete. If I intend to actually kill a support rather than harass them for distraction, I regularly don’t start with a hack. It’s very situational.

3 Likes

So, you played against a bad sombra player, and you blame the hero for that?

1 Like

You sure, source? I really want to know because i often discuss with those who say she is fine because she is picked in contenders

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure, but that’s what I’ve heard anyway. If I’m wrong, I assume someone will correct me, but as far as I know, the teams that were winning weren’t using her at all, and her overall pickrate has really gone down. That being said, I can’t say for certain for no one is using her anymore, but it’s far from the “She’s in every game! She’s meta!” that people are preaching regardless. People are realizing she’s just not as effective as they imagined on paper.

For the first time, even as a Sombra main myself, I dread seeing anyone pick Sombra on my team. All this horrid rework did was make the good players less effective while her drastically more troll friendly than even Mei and old Sym ever were.

4 Likes

I’ve stopped 0laying Overwatch all together because each of my mains got nerfed. Sure that’s my fault but when I heard that Sombra was picked in contenders I knew that blizz was going to keep new Sombra.

2 Likes

I always sort of dreaded it because Sombra mains never really figured out how to play her unless they watched streams… Apparently. I never thought it was hard to figure out, but I remember when Cody came onto the scene and everyone was acting like a revolution happened. It has made me very weary since and I only ever had two good Sombra (technically 3, but they were in a stack coordinating emp bombs) teammates. Which is sad. All of my knowledge as a Sombra main means that I can pair really well with them but I never really get to because I have no idea what the heck they are doing.

1 Like

yes. Doomfist feels the same way in gold elo. Most high skill heroes underperform in low ranks where people dont have the mechanics to play them. Sombra requires really good tracking to kill anything but it’s definitely possible.

i used to play sombra but tracer just works so much better and its a no brainier pick

2 Likes

just wait a couple of weeks until the sombra meta trickles down from GM.

You’re going to get crushed by her :slight_smile:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/f8cae265542ac29aa6d00dcbeab7bfd9/tenor.gif?itemid=7178438

8 Likes

Sombra knows all the memes. She is the elitest haxx0r in the world. And she gets made out to be this bad girl, but no, she’s just the nice girl next door that’s good with computers. >_>

1 Like

Yeah, I mean Sombra is cancer and people who play her are basically trolls.

2 Likes

I just have fun with Sombra in QP. at least people are allowed to play her and Symmetra there

2 Likes