New interactions hints the future of widowmaker?

So, with this last update they added tons new voicelines and interactions.

I link the video of them Overwatch - 21 New Interactions (Halloween 2020 Patch) - YouTube

So, if you noticed, widowmaker got new voicelines as well.
But the way she speak and talk are unusual for her character, remember she is an emotionless character that doesn’t feel anything…

So, why she’s clearly showing “disgust” and “anger” in her new voicelines?

My theory is that she’s changing and might have some character development in the future of the lore. Any thoughts?

8 Likes

Glad Baptiste got some interactions!

From what Moira said, I think that may be the case.

7 Likes

She’s always shown emotion, even in lines that snark about her apparent lack of them.

• Moira: How are you feeling, Lacroix?
  • Widowmaker: I don’t feel. That’s the point, isn’t it?
  • Tracer: What’cha lookin’ at?
  • Widowmaker: An annoyance.
  • On Junkertown: Ugh, Why am I here.
  • Discord Orb Received Damn!

Her being a hollow and total emotionless character is a misconception. She is not completely emotionless, but her senses were numbed and minimized outside when she is in the process of killing people.

3 Likes

She sounds more frustrated in these ones

widow: You’re making too much noise

Lucio: it’s not noise, it’s music

widow: very well, you’re making too much “music”

She even used a sarcastic tone, in the past she never did it

1 Like

Sure she has.

• Sombra : Ah, my favorite spider. I wonder what sort of web you’re spinning now.
  • Widowmaker : It would be a shame if something happened to you on our next mission. A real pity.
2 Likes

Yes I thought the same thing. They’re further developing her character. Slowly the brainwash effect is wearing off. I hope she has some kind of redemption arc.

7 Likes

Brainwash isn’t exactly the right word… And what kind of redemption arc would you give the character that doesn’t just kill Widowmaker’s entire character and identity?

I think we need another piece of Widowmaker content like a short story or novel just to clear up all these problems and ambiguities from her bio’s wording to set up who Widowmaker is (and hopefully put out all these redemption arc theories.)

5 Likes

I’d LOVE that. I can imagine there being a story update post-launch that returns widow’s emotions.

To follow this, they create replicas of all of her PVP skins that have a normal skin colour and all voice lines are altered to make her have emotion

2 Likes

I hope she doesn’t have a redemption arc. I think it would be better if the talon bad guys stay bad guys and not turn this into a cliche turning bad guys into good guys story.

3 Likes

Heroes are pointless without villains, otherwise there is no balance and its all just good guys fighting no one. The world could always use some more villains.

5 Likes

I find it hard to think of a way that Reaper, Doom, and Widowmaker could have a redemption arc. They all seem more likely to just go down swinging, and even if Widow were to feel the effects of her suppression begin to recede, she’s still a wanted criminal and she was still perfectly mindful during every assassination she committed, she’s not exactly guilt free

3 Likes

This!

You see this more intensely during Her interactions with Ana.

When she said
“You don’t know anything about him”
regarding Gerard, her emotion is raw and very noticable. I was shook when i heard it, i was like isnt she supposed to be cold and robotic?

6 Likes

I doubt that Widow will get any redemption arc. She’s certainly isn’t loyal to Talon though.

She is 100% loyal to Talon. If anything, she is the most loyal agent in the game. Sombra actively sabotages missions for her own gain, Sigma has no idea what he’s doing, Baptiste left, and the rest are leadership serving their own goals. Meanwhile, Widowmaker is all about how

The enemies of Talon will be eliminated.

7 Likes

She is not gonna become a good guy, redemption arc is not gonna happen. But doesn’t mean she wont change in her own way. Not joining overwatch of course, but might develop her own mission in future

3 Likes

I’d say Widowmaker isn’t the most loyal at all. If anything, I can see her being the one that would change the most. Not saying that will happen. But I’m not sure why you are so obsessed on Widowmaker staying at Talon and that she should always be on the bad side, for some reason (judging by your replies in this thread). You’re just knocking down any discussion people have about her having a change by saying “No she’s bad and shouldn’t become good!”.

4 Likes

Making her good would ruin her character.

4 Likes

Giving her a character development doesn’t mean necessarly make her a “good girl”

2 Likes

She can have character development without turning good.

5 Likes

Widowmaker arc is basically Queen Chrysalis arc.
There’s no point in her returning from once taken path.
Her private life is killed.
She done many crimes by which others would put her in life imprisonment.
She wouldn’t believe anyone can forgive her or if she can forgive herself.
If anything, she can only end her life with the rest happiness she left at.

4 Likes