Netflix’s Arcane is a testament to how bad you screwed up

You mean like the Zero Hour cinematic? Like those shots from cutscenes being worked on we’ve seen? You know the ones where Rein sees a Bastion and has a PTSD attack?

Anyone remember that whole conspiracy thing that was hinted at back when Sombra released that supposedly would tie all the characters together? Or the Lumerico thing around the same time that I barely remember because it’s so irrelevant that the people who wrote it in have probably forgotten about it?

7 Likes

Not like every character has lore surrounding them. Not like OW2 has an entire story mode or anything. Not like the Cinematics tie in to the game’s story or anything. Not like the PVE archives modes are literally gamemodes based on OW lore. I honestly don’t know why your comparing these two.

Riot Games >>>>> Blizzard

They know how to run a game.

1 Like

No clue what this thing even is, must be something small and uninportant.

I mean riot seems to not even have a forum. :rofl:

We should compare every kickstarter campaign with star citizen. Anything below 300mio is garbo. Thats how these threads sound.

Just boring

The Overwatch Universe/IP started with project Titan, that is 2007.

The exact details of how Titan would have played are not known, but Blizzard’s Jeff Kaplan, who served on the Titan development team and later became the director for Overwatch, identified that the game was a class-based shooter game. Players would have selected a character from several classes, which granted them initial abilities. As they progressed in the game, they would gain points to use to spend on a skill tree for that character. Kaplan said that, near the point of Titan’s cancellation, the variety of skills they had in the game led to overpowered combinations, and described the result as “very cluttered and confused”.[5][6]

Also interesting paragraph from the project Titan wikipedia. OW seems to have been a bit of a pain in the behind even before it was called OW.

1 Like

If you want to bet Blizzard will do something like this in 5-7 years, be ready to lose money mate.

Also LoL didnt really have that kind of lore early on, did it? like they started the whole thing 8 years ago ? :thinking:

You are going to have to check again mate because then your statement is going to become a meme. Look at the Premiere and get shocked.

It took them 6 full years to make arcane - that’s longer than Overwatch has even been out.

1 Like

It’s baffling to see people expect quality content like this to be dropped on us in an instant. This sort of stuff takes years of planning & work, both on the artistic & marketing sides.

Topics like these make it very easy to see just how far removed some people are from reality.

3 Likes

I mean Riot spent years telling their stories via text dumps and comics, and have a considerable head start on the whole world building thing. Like a few hundred or so characters worth.

And at the same time OW2 has a story mode styled campaign, like they showed off this whole cinematic cut scene filled mission. On top of that their was this snipet of one player playing zen looking out into a court yard, while widow comes in going full spiderman to set up a sniper post on the other side.

1 Like

Well they’ve had 5 years. And for about 2 of those years they did basically nothing. They could’ve been pumping way more into animated shorts and story events in game, and they didn’t.

3 Likes

this is why I have so much respect for riot. they managed to keep a 10 year old game very relevant whilst simultaneously making another game called valorant while still providing more than enough content for league. this is how to do things WELL

4 Likes

The Overwatch team said they didn’t want to put too much emphasis or “facts” about the story, so it can be up for interpretation. This was said, like, 3-4 years ago, but that’s why we rarely get any actual lore about the past of Overwatch, outside of some very small moments, like Tracer’s first mission.

This could also explain why they didn’t do something like this or make a really strong and fluid story. We mainly just have some backstory of each character and a little bit of knowledge on the actual history of Overwatch.

1 Like

I mean soldier is gay now so that’s true depth right? lol

2 Likes

Its so big i need to look it up myself? Why would I?
I don’t play lol
The only thing i like are fanmade art. As the game itself looks way out of date imho (like any moba) i might actually like the movie/series but that wont make the game any better…

I already hear the backlash if blizzard did this.
ThAt iS nO CoNtEnT

I prefer to make my own Ovetwatch story in my imagination. It’s much better than anything Blizz could come up with. Their story telling is very trite and melodramatic, imo. Some good writing can be found in the old Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo games, but most of it is really bad overall, imo, especially the WoW thematics :shudder:

2 Likes

But league of legends gameplay is so boring its 99% of the same gameplay on the same map stretched to an hour sure there’s new champions but 80% of them are forgotten and never get skins (This is an opinion) I mean the storys okay, but gameplay first yeah know.

I do agree we cannot completely compare overwatch to LoL but there are some significant issues that went on with OW that have completely crippled the player-base that LoL has not had to worry about. The main one having to restructure your whole character selection since you could not balance the classes well. Releasing hero’s that completely broke the game and letting it go like that for months before fixing it. These two issues have had ripple effects in the game and LoL has its own problems but it looks like they take care of it more than OW does.

2 Likes

But OW and LoL are fundamentally different games. Even down to the overarching design philosophy around heroes and maps. Of course OW has had unique problems, it’s its own game.

Yeah turn him gay then do nothing with it

1 Like