Netflix’s Arcane is a testament to how bad you screwed up

Overwatch has so many lush characters and you had so many opportunities after it’s success to put millions into this franchise and make it something as big as the Warcraft franchise,

I see Riot Games’s Arcane on Netflix and it just shows what was the possibilities of giving the characters of OW true depth… but a comic book is just as good I guess.

What a blunder of a franchise.

116 Likes

But we know the Overwatch story is evolving; it’s just not ready yet.

I understand why it’s so popular to compare Overwatch’s story progress to League of Legends, given that both have released most of their story content in similar forms, but it’s worth recognizing that Overwatch is a very young IP in comparison.

While it’s great to see Riot climbing new mountains with their world, it’s hardly fair to say that Overwatch has failed as a franchise just because it hasn’t yet accomplished all the same things in less than half the time.

13 Likes

OW is a 5 year old IP. LoL is a 12 year old IP.

14 Likes

Reminder that League of Legends was released in 2009.

13 Likes

Riot is also owned by Tencent :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

“Overwatch is bad because it doesn’t have enough things that aren’t the game”

What a joke

21 Likes

Oh there’s a ton more bad with the game, I thought this was established already

9 Likes

Not sure if you’re dense or deliberately misunderstanding OP - he’s saying that Blizzard hasn’t capitalized on marketing it’s very marketable franchise and squandered Overwatch’s wilder appeal - Arcane proved people could consume this product that Blizzard chose not to make.

He’s not at all saying “Overwatch is bad” because of this - he’s saying Blizzard missed a very good opportunity.

Overwatch is bad for a lot of other reasons

46 Likes

I like the game.

Contrary to popular belief, time is a finite resource and not all things are equal.

You simple can’t do everything at the same time.

Just because they made a few comics doesn’t mean they could have made an entire Netflix series in that time.

For Overwatch to be ready now with a Netflix series, you are probably asking for the IP to have had this confirmed 3 years ago when it was 2 years old.

That is not the real world.

1 Like

What have they done instead of this? What we’ve seen out of Overwatch 2 so far looks like it would have taken them a month to make, not 3 years

6 Likes

I dont know what people expected tbh, the writing and lore in overwatch has never been THAT good. Its a bunch of loosely tied storylines and sometimes none of it makes sense. Alot of the lore is just backstory and some set up for a future plot point that ultimately gets abandoned by the time the next hero is out. None of it actually matters

17 Likes

sure if you think about it fortnite was the game that came out of nowhere due to good management/decision making. before the battle royale bit no one even heard or even cared about it. all it took was to make it a BR and put a face to the game… ninja skyrocketed to become a multi-millionaire streamer because of fortnite. if it wasnt for fortnite he probably wouldnt be a household name and just some other streamer out of thousands?

could overwatch have been a greater success, probably so with good management/decision making but … i dont know about blizzard/activision. they are cringe sometimes

If you believe that can be done in a month, whilst running a live game and brand, you are either ignorant of, or a supernatural manipulator of time.

Either way, I would suggest going to work in the games industry.

2 Likes

Honestly Overwatch still stands alone in it’s genre and the fact that really tons of people watched OWL this season despite it being the 3rd year of barely any new content - this to me shows that yes the answer is absolutely it could have been massive. It’s kind of alive still while being borderline left for dead! People would have loved this game if effort had gone into it and yes I think it would have been massive

Do you think they have used their last 3 years of almost zero-work on Overwatch 1 effectively? Few people are looking at what they have come up with for OW2 so far and think “wow, it WILL be worth the wait, these changes are all novel and there’s a lot here!”. No, that’s clearly not the sentiment at all.

6 Likes

I’m just gathering more whining here

Overwatch wasn’t everything they wanted it to be so it’s trash

It was absolutely the sentiment after Blizzcon in February. It may not be the sentiment now, but that’s obvious. They haven’t revealed anything new since then.

3 Likes

Ah yes, I’m a little surprised at how nice and quickly you had to resort to the “that’s whining” rhetoric.

Folks, this is what it looks like when Blizzard shills run out of the real actual soundbites to defend Blizzard

10 Likes

Right.

Let’s ignore the fact that League of Legends’ story has been retconned three times before it arrived in it’s current state. And the fact that the characters’ that it’s focusing on weren’t part of the original line-up for almost 5 years; about the same age Overwatch is now.

Arcane may be a compelling work a fiction, but it a solid decade to get to this far, and after several re-writes and Riot’s own personal in-house problems. Moreover, you’re comparing a game to an episodic streaming series, not really quite the same thing.

I’d rather compare LoL to Heroes of the Storm and continue to wonder why LoL has yet to create some new maps - like HotS did - more than a decade after its release.

Today, but it wasn’t back then.

And again, Overwatch is much younger compared to LoL. If after 12 years Overwatch remains a popular franchise and doesn’t have a movie/streaming series, the complaint would be more warranted.

Given how extraordinarily popular WoW was, how long did it take before it got it’s movie? How long has it been since StarCraft released and where is it’s media franchise (beyond the novels and comics?)

How many decades did it take for the Marvel franchise to take off from comics before it became the media series it is today? Sure, there were cartoons as far back as the 70s, but how many are in production now versus the movie franchise?

Not everything popular deserves a movie or episodic series, folks. Some of the people in charge of these franchises aren’t interested or can’t find the talent to develop these properties outside of the realm they started in.

I still want my Kid Icarus episodic series.

3 Likes

Sure man, yeah whatever

Because comparing Overwatch to a TV show isn’t just whining

Go off dude, I’m totally a shill and they are totally a reasonable consumer

1 Like