Netflix’s Arcane is a testament to how bad you screwed up

Reminds me of this one other game that stars with O and ends with verwatch. :thinking:

7 Likes

? The maps literally give you a vague story as to why you’re even fighting on them. It might not be as direct but its better than what ever Leagues excuse is by making a tv show and not actually providing any real pve experiences. OW2 will have pve, and that alone makes it better even if it isn’t here yet.

None of the OW’s actual story is in the game. Just making vague references in maps about stuff that ppl are supposed to have read about anyway isn’t story telling either.

16 Likes

And if that were the case, Valorant does it better: their newest map, Fracture, has interactable nodes that pull up emails of workers within the facility; teasing the next map in the process as well.

1 Like
  1. we only know what they showed us so my answer is “I don’t know” which some people seem to have a problem with admitting themselves - somehow claiming to know with zero development experience in large organization precisely what has been done and how long that should take. I don’t care what the uneducated consensus is of an incomplete game no one but a few streamers has played. I care about what I will get at launch.

2. if you believe it is zero work to do everything that has been done on OW1 over the last 3 years then again, I believe you should consider being a lead developer or game director as you clearly will easily be able to achieve significantly more. Actually, better yet, you should present your operating model on these forums for them to copy paste so we all get the game faster.

I do not have a view on their operational effectiveness as I don’t work there, don’t know the internal pressures they face nor am I an expert on the topic.

The one thing that my experience has taught me is that launching a new IP, two games, multiple high quality cinematics, a lore universe, and an esports league seems like a lot of things in 5 years and expecting a Netflix show in the middle of that somehow is just fantasy.

You don’t need any experience in the video game industry to correctly to conclude that whatever Blizzard is doing about OW2, it’s been the wrong direction so far.

I don’t care about how hard it is to launch a game, I don’t care how complicated it is. It doesn’t matter. They’re doing it wrong and all I’m doing is calling that out.

They’re facing multiple lawsuits from government bodies and shareholders. They released an earnings call and tanked their share price - normally bad news like that would have been known and not lowered the share price. They had a staff walkout this year. They’re latest releases have largely been poorly received.

If they had an ounce of something good to show us, they would because it would lift up their precious precious share price. But they can’t show us anything good because they have nothing good - and so even Blizzard let’s their capital shrink.

Blizzard is screwing up and everyone knows it and no one cares that “being a designer is really hard, u guys”.

5 Likes

Riot spent 12 years building up the scene with lore bits, comics, and shorts. Ya know, the exact same stuff we’ve been getting from Overwatch. They’re only just now getting to the point of making a full on animated series.

Things take time.

1 Like

Not sure what you think I’m saying.

The only point is that having a Netflix series already live by now is unrealistic.

I made no comment about the quality of OW2. The point is that time is limited and it still takes time to do stuff even if you don’t like the output.

Please let’s not discuss the quality of a game neither of us have played. It’s pointless. It could be awful, it could be great. Either way, life will go on.

A five year old ip they have done absolutely nothing with

5 Likes

Define what “something” would be

4 Likes

Advancing the overarching plot in any way shape or form.

Eagerly awaiting your next question

5 Likes

So backstory and everything else in between is nothing then. Can’t say I personally agree, but got it.

Geez, slow down there. No further questions your honour.

4 Likes

Does everything need a franchise? Why is a game suddenly bad because it doesn’t have a million other things connected to its brand? This is silly logic, I’m sorry.

The tf2 cast has better characterization than any given overwatch hero. That’s laughable.

7 Likes

You should see what they’ve done with crossmedia in WoW, one bad movie and it was delayed for years :rofl:

Personally, I’d like to think that perhaps the success of ‘Arcane’ can pave the way for future animated video game TV series (like Overwatch). There’s a lot of quirky characters and things that would work well in an episodic format, and there’s so much that they can expand on lore wise.

If Blizz consider ‘Arcane’ to be financially successful and good advertisement, then it may reassure them that pouring money/time into a series won’t be a massive waste. If OW2 doesn’t completely flop, perhaps it’s something we can hope for in the future?

1 Like

As other people have pointed out, Riot’s franchise of League of Legends is over double as old as OW IP is.

It’s grim at this point, but there’s still plenty of time for OW2 to be a success, and release a Netflix show / movie / whatever even before Riot did. This is a silly comparison.

1 Like

This isn’t exactly copy/paste thread to the one I’ve seen before, but it is basically the same thing. And like before, I ask you, how long has the game been out before it’s gotten this “amazing” series? 12 years. So yeah, talk to me when OW is 12-years-old.

You mean like the Zero Hour cinematic? Like those shots from cutscenes being worked on we’ve seen? You know the ones where Rein sees a Bastion and has a PTSD attack?

Anyone remember that whole conspiracy thing that was hinted at back when Sombra released that supposedly would tie all the characters together? Or the Lumerico thing around the same time that I barely remember because it’s so irrelevant that the people who wrote it in have probably forgotten about it?

7 Likes