Need a dev (anyone)

I need just a singular dev to tell me that the audio bug ive been posting about for over a year is actually being looked at or not. Its the most infuriating thing ive ever dealt with in gaming.

Im posting in general discussion because after 20+ bug reports in a year timespan its still happening.

Just in case a recap is needed:

Sometimes there is no audio cue when you get hit by someone. If you are affected by this bug, its usually 1 to 3 random heroes on the enemy team where this applies to. Surprisingly, the remaining heroes are not bugged while the others are. It also applies to any damage ability they use. If they hit you, you just dont hear it. The only way to know is if you look at your health bar. I thought respawning reset this bug, but apparently not. Even more lost on how to actually get rid of this bug.

One example: soldier is shooting you from the right. There is 0 audio indicating he is shooting you. Unless you look at your hp bar, you LITERALLY have no clue youre getting shot at. This doesnt only apply to primary fire. If he would helix you in your face, the only indication you have in this case is the small knockback.

Another example: Junkerqueen. When she hits you with her knife, you get a bleeding effect. Usually, you can hear the bleeding happening (that little tssk tssk sound.) if you are affected by this bug, you dont even hear this sound at all.

If this bug is happening to you, you DONT HEAR ANY INCOMING DAMAGE regardless of what ability or weapon your opponent is using. it even happens with echo’s sticky bombs directly on your screen. that audio is also just not there. I also have a clip of wrecking ball mines not having audio of all things.

This bug can happen while playing any hero, and can happen to any enemy hero. So far its completely random when it happens, and always goes away when dying.

Audio is an important part in this game and this bug is hindering my experience A LOT for the past year.

EDIT: turns out you broke it EVEN MORE than before. you used to be able to reset the bug when you respawn, but now there is a chance you keep the bug until the end of the round/match.

4 Likes

I am not sure if they click links.
Better explain the problem as precisely as possible on the bug forum.
If they are interested in your report, they may ask you for debugging information and give you instructions on how to do that. I suspect that the behavior you are describing is specific to your system.

They also do not respond quickly.

1 Like

I can 100% assure you it’s not

1 Like

its been a year and ive posted A LOT of bug report posts. (some more detailed than others)

in this year timespan ive changed literally ALL my hardware + a windows reset and im still dealing with this issue. my duo im always playing with is also dealing with this bug.

I cant do anything else than spam the forums to MAYBE get their attention.

1 Like

Overwatch has had audio dropout problems for years. I remember having a megathread in the Technical section where I gathered posts from lots of other players and shared video clips showing the issues, but all these years later never heard a single peep, not ONE, from the devs. And it was serious game-breaking stuff, like getting randomly hit by a Hanzo ult without any audio cue.

I wish I could say good luck trying, but the simple fact of the matter is that they literally just don’t care. The game has a LOT of issues besides, and sound bugs have and always will be a zero priority for them. No idea what on earth their audio team is doing to still be collecting paychecks with these ongoing issues in the game, they must be sitting nice and cozy like tenured professors or something.

Here’s the thread if you’re curious: [MEGATHREAD] Can You Hear the Audio Issues? I Bet You Can! 🔇

1 Like

I can 100% guarantee that you will not get a reaction from any dev for posting on these forums.

1 Like

I remember that there was a bug with dolby atmos a few years ago.
Maybe turn it off in case it’s turned on.

It has nothing to do with directional audio itself. The enemy could be right in your face and you still wouldnt hear a thing. And its not that all audio is missing, its ONLY the getting hit audio that doesnt play.

But have you tried turning it off?

Yes i have it disabled

the audio cutting off and marbling thing could also be a packet loss issue. I’ve posted this over and over since SEASON 3 (early 2023), I tried with different ISP’s modems etc. Blizzard tech told my ISP’s all have wrong routing and I need to use a VPN until it’s fixed, but it’s not guaranteed that a VPN will help xD

its not audio cutting off, its specific audio that doesnt play on 1 or 2 specific enemies.

They are aware of the bug, and no, I don’t think it is going to be worked on.

It is something weird which is hardware related, but most games don’t have the issue. They do know it is a thing which happens, but I don’t think they are going to spend any resources trying to fix it.

We need “phone a dev” lol.

But yeah the audio issue for this game is really bad. I’ve never been impressed with the audio engine update since “2” launched. It works terrible. GL getting anyone to actually fix it.

Only thing they may tell you to do is run their Diagnostic pack. Update windows, reinstall overwatch by manually deleting it from the registry (all files), wiping out your operating system and eventually buy new hardware.

I can say that there are some codec chips out there that do have more issues than others. Their drivers are BAD.

many still use the Codec 97’ format.

Sound drivers are the weird part of the computer world and so are codecs. They really do not get updated like everything else has and they are about 27 years BEHIND. When an audio issue happens. Its Ancient texts that a person has to resort to reading :stuck_out_tongue: .

With Gigabyte being the one board that I always came across that had the MOST issues with SOUND issues.

1 Like

proof they know about it? (so i can stop spamming the forums)

hardware related but ive changed ALL my hardware?

1 Like

How are they gonna know? All they know about is what content creators tell them! It took over a year to fix the lamp bug where it would pull your crosshairs above it, despite what i am sure was constant posts about it. They also keep breaking the Group Up button which is supposed to, when facing a teammate, make you say “With you”. For seemingly me only, on Widow and Sym, for reasons i can’t sus out, my crouch is broken. Nothing i’ve done other than binding it to anything but circle can fix it which is so queer.

I’ve had a ticket open with them for YEARS, back when the devs would ask you questions directly.

Ouch, it was solved for me when I moved my install to new hardware.

Never had these issues in OW1 where the enemy is more quiet than your allies. I suspect this is due to the sound system overhaul where they added reverb to everything and now all the sound effects are a mess.