Mystery Heroes needs a hero limit

I feel strongly it should limit the number of any one hero to 2. Maybe even 1. Having 3 Sombras or 3 Torbjorns on the other team… well it sucks.

7 Likes

Believe it or not, a bunch of people play the mode because that can happen

5 Likes

I mean, that’s what No Limit is for. Ridiculous stacked team comps. In MH it just leads to snowballing and then people leave and it just keeps getting worse.

2 Likes

Agreed. The few times I played that mode were utterly miserable for completely the wrong reason. Randomly being assigned the same hero as a bunch of other people in the team AND randomly being assigned the same hero multiple times a match kind of take away from the experience.

4 Likes

RNG is a total game changer and that’s what mystery heroes truly is.

That’s the main idea of the gamemode. To mostly be about what the mode randomly offers. Sure it can be frustrating to have the enemy team stockpile on multiple healers, but it’s just RNG being RNG.
There are other game modes to play if mystery heroes isn’t great for those that want to have a random set experience. I recommend ‘No Limits’ or ‘Comp Team Deathmatch’ as better alternative modes to play

my take on it MH + Hero Stacking = Broken...any chance we get alternate version? (game log included)

RNG is RNG with or without the stacking…in THAT game mode…it doesnt work

2 Likes

A long while back Jeff responded to one of these and said that it would somewhat do away with the complete randomness of the mode. I agree with him.

There is a hero limit. It is limited to 6. If you are upset by crazy comps don’t play that game mode.

Yes, it would and that’s the point. “Complete randomness” is almost never a good thing, which is why most RNG systems fudge the numbers, usually in the player’s favour. City of Heroes had its “streakbreaker,” XCOM 2 gives players hidden aim buffs on lower difficulty settings and even most games with random drops allow for some system of circumventing the RNG.

From my personal perspective, Mystery Heroes is a good chance to both play heroes I’d never touch otherwise as well as to run through a wider selection of heroes in a single match. Giving me McCree three times in a row may be “completely random” (because true randomness is streaky), but it somewhat undercuts the potential of the mode.

RNG exists not for its own sake, but to facilitate compelling gameplay which couldn’t exist if it were deterministic in a player-facing fashion.

1 Like

But that’s part of that game mode. It’s a MYSTERY.

It’s pretty much the only mode I play to and I think it’s fine. I mean, I bet if you get the awesome stack on your team you wouldn’t be complaining. Just deal with what the other team has. If you lose you lose… you don’t lose SR points after all.

1 Like

“Mystery” isn’t the same as “randomness,” though, nor does it require true randomness to function.

While I don’t wish to discount your experience - yes, I would very much complain just the same. It’s not a matter of winning or losing, it’s a matter of the game sabotaging its own premise by looping the same heroes over and over again both between team-mates and within the same player’s own rotation. I’ve played Mystery Heroes matches which felt indistinguishable from No Limits matches because the game gave me the same hero three times in a row.

I have no horse in the race, ultimately. I stopped playing Mystery Heroes once I realised they were a lot less mysterious than advertised. I’m just saying - slightly less randomness and slightly more variety might help spice up the mode a little.

1 Like

the funny part is if you watched Jeff’s interview with Fran recently he made it pretty clear that he HATES no limits…so how it managed to work its way into this mode as well (where its even worse) is beyond me

As someone who has logged over 650 hours in MH, you are correct. If Limits are not going to be implemented (and I say to 1), then a new mode should be introduced. Mystery Heroes Limits or Mystery Heroes QP edition…something of the sort.

I feel the people who speak on behalf of Mystery Heroes in its current form don’t actually have many logged hours in the game mode and only play for loot boxes when it’s that time of the week.

I don’t know how many times I’ve back-filled into a MH game with multiple heroes just steamrolling the losing team. It’s time to modify the game mode or add a new one. Period.

2 Likes

A short while back Jeff said he agreed that Mystery Heroes needed to be re-visited due to the no limits. Whether it be by changing the existing mode or adding a new one.

1 Like

There is a difference between people selecting and building stacked teams and just happen to randomly get one. I honestly don’t really see these weird stacked teams that often. When I do it’s kinda fun to try and bust though them, and I have seen it happen several times.

No it’s not. We had 3 Genjis on our team today and we got rolled.

Some characters definitely bring more pain if they start stacking but ultimately it’s on whether the players are any good. Simply stacking doesn’t do much.

And yes, I play for those wacky moments.

Genii is one of the extremely few characters where more than one of is not really a problem…it’s him, widow and Ana (maaaaaaaybe mccree/Hammond)…and I think the reason for that is simply that most people just aren’t good with them (if they are good…good luck)

With just about any other character it presents major issues…but if you really don’t think it’s an issue then I recommend you look at what I linked above…I play this game mode almost exclusively…it’s a huge deciding factor in the vast majority of the matches

2HL makes sense. I can get behind that. I just don’t want to be locked out of the possibility of respawning as any particular hero. An allied Dva or Roadhog just ain’t dying all match? You’ll never respawn as Dva or Roadhog all match. I couldn’t get behind that at all.

The draw of the mode is that you could respawn as any hero on the roster after death, IMO, so changing the rules of the mode to “You could respawn as any hero on the roster after death EXCEPT x, y, or z” takes a great deal of the allure away.

1 Like

I speak on behalf of MH in it’s current state and have over 450 hours played in MH alone. It’s honestly the only mode I ever play anymore, it’s the only mode I enjoy.

Valid argument, but in my case also wrong. When the stack is in my team’s favor I just get bored.

The thing is I play Misery Heroes when I want to play a few non-comp rounds and don’t have any friends online to play QP with. The great irony of MH is that you have a better chance of getting a balanced team comp in MH than you do in QP, which is why that’s my solo queue mode of choice.

No Limits? If ppl are bad at Genji, then that is of course what’s going to happen. Also, the other team can choose counters.
You’re assuming however that the premise of my post is saying stacking=winning when I just mean it’s really not fun dealing with 3 Meis when you don’t have any way to bust them up because your team keeps getting frozen and sent back to spawn only to come back as someone who isn’t great at dealing with 3 Meis who are taking turns ulting your team.
I’ve gone against 3 Dvas each with their own Mercy. It was Overwatch: Nuclear Holocaust Edition. It clearly wasn’t enjoyable for anyone on my team, as about halfway through it became a revolving door of people joining, spawning, getting nuked, and leaving. Rinse, repeat.

Why do you assume I’m upset? I’m just pointing out that once a team starts getting a stack of characters in MH, the fun factor goes right into the basement. I’m FOR the weird comps, just against stacking.

3 Likes